Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
An1 else have a rattling problem with the bass from the factory system around the weather stripping drivers side?

I didnt think the weather stripping could possibly make the rattling noise I was hearing but I pin-pointed the location, which was hellacious trying to do cuz I could only test it with the noise around 15 or higher or so and the bass at +2 or higher.

I pounded the weather stripping to the car and it went away for a few days but it is back.

I have a 2002 ZX3 built in Aug 02 if that matters.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The bass from my stereo, even though it is only set on 3, causes significant vibration in both my front doors. I have folded index cards wedged in between the door and the door panel on the passenger side and that has helped somewhat. The driver's door panel started vibrating just a couple of days ago.

My rear door on the passenger side (ZX5) creaks and groans constantly while driving. First attempt at the dealer was futile (they smothered the weatherstripping in lubricant to no avail). It goes in on Wednesday to the dealer's body shop for attempt number two to stop the creak.

My '02 ZX5 is self-destructing. The doors vibrate, the rear door creaks, the dash rattles, and to add to my frustration my check engine light came on last night (that is being fixed on Wednesday, too.) For a car with only 14,500 miles on it, it sounds like it has 50,000 miles on it.

I had such high hopes for this car and enjoyed it greatly up until about three weeks ago when it started falling apart.

The dealer gets one more try at fixing the creaking door (and fixing the check engine light issue). If they can't, I will no longer be a Ford customer and will trade this car on something else pronto. This is the second Ford in a row I have owned with some sort of structural problem. My previous vehicle was an '00 Explorer that came from the factory with a B-Pillar that wasn't properly attached to the frame (caused a very loud pop in the B-Pillar when going over any type of road imperfection). It took the dealer 5 tries and ultimately 17 straight days at their body shop to fix it (Ford engineers even flew out to analyze it to figure out the problem). Looks like my poor Focus is heading down the same path.

·
Registered
556 Posts
nope mine was my mirror-then I tightened it

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
if you guys sound deaden your doors, and any panel that vibrates, it will help a lot. my doors dont vibrate at all, my dash is fine, i actually dont have any rattles (except one, my dealer caused this creak in my sunroof assembly, i'm working on it).
if the 20+ lbs are not something you want to add to the car, then dont consider it, but IMHO it's well worth it. there are several threads about it in the ICE forum.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea, but the point is, we shouldn't have to. New cars shouldnt require the buyer to go buy sound deadner to stop rattles. Maybe if I bought it used with 50k on it, but I didnt.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
that's a good point. you shouldn't have to. but it's an economy car, and you do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It shouldn't matter if a car is an "economy car" or not. It simply should be built to a higher standard. I do not think it should matter the price, any car should be solid enough to withstand rattles at any price (whether it be a $9,000 KIA or a $300,000 Bentley).

Ford is celebrating their centennial, yet their product quality gets worse instead of better. You would think that after building cars for 100 years, they would have the structural integrity thing knocked.

My car goes in for the 2nd time tomorrow for the severly creaking rear door. The 1st time the dealer worked on it for 3 hours and couldn't find the problem. Now they are sending it to their body shop for a day or so to be further evaluated/repaired. Hopefully they will find a fix this time. If not, I will certainly trade the Focus and never buy another Ford product again. Front runners are either a Chevy Monte Carlo or the totally new '04 Toyota Solara coupe.

As a side note, I was in a friend's '96 Saturn SL sedan a few days ago. With 115,000 miles on the odometer the car has literally no rattles to speak of. It was quieter and more solid than my '02 ZX5 with 14,800 miles. I was astonished!

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
It shouldn't matter if a car is an "economy car" or not. It simply should be built to a higher standard.
I dunno what world you're living in... but my dad's $40K lexus sounds a lot better than my $12K Focus any day... You do get what you pay for.
Simple as that.

As for your creaky door? Well I dunno what to tell you... but creaks and rattles are gonna come. Specially if you drive the car hard like me!

·
Registered
49 Posts
I don't live in a diffferent world than anyone else. I am just a reasonable consumer that expects expensive products, like cars, to be built to a certain standard. On top of that, I expect a dealer to be able to fix the products they sell.

I expect creaks and rattles to surface in cars, but not at the 14,800 mile mark. 50,000 miles with a few creaks and rattles is perfectly normal. My Dad's 2000 Dodge Stratus, for which he paid $13,000 after incentives three years ago and now has 60,000 miles, is rattle free. It is in the same price range as the Focus and built better. Ford just has a hard time getting it right apparently. My Mom's 2000 Mercury Mountaineer, which was turned in at the end of the lease 6 months ago, was a complete rattle trap with only 34,000 miles on it. The original price of that vehicle was $34,000. I know it was a truck but it should have been much tighter built. The '03 Chevrolet Impala LS Sport that replaced the Mountaineer is rock solid with no odd noises.

I refuse to accept that because I choose to buy a modest $18K car that I have to live with creaks and rattles because of the price. Look at the VW Passat...average price of one of those is $25K and the most common complaint is dash rattles. VW is known for having some of the best looking and assembled interiors in the business, yet rattles are prominent. The new '03 Honda Accord is the same way, numerous dash and window rattle complaints.

A $13,000 '96 Saturn SL sedan which is rattle free after 115,000 miles is a testament to the fact that it can be done. Another friend has a late 90's Nissan Sentra with 70,000 miles and it is also rattle free.

For the 2002 model year, Ford stated publicly that they cracked down on assembly tolerances with the Focus to reduce the number of complaints received by customers of 00-01 Foci due to rattles and squeaks. They need to try harder.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Refusing to accept that my door creak was normal, I had the dealer look at it. Three days later when they were done with my car (and while I drove around in their 2004 Chevy Silverado 4x4), I got my car back with a destroyed interior B-Pillar cover (which they are replacing at their expense) and the creaking still present.
They claimed they lubed the weatherstripping, which took care of 99% of the creaking, but that the creaking is actually normal due to the twisting/flexing of the frame while driving. Normal?? Take me out in the other ZX5's or 4-door Foci on the lot and prove it. Whatever. The tried their hardest, so I must give them credit for that.

In any event, I started thinking this morning about a roll of Dynamat that I had out in the garage. So, I cut a strip of the matting and stuck it along the inside top of the offending door. Noise gone. Problem solved. I was examining the door tolerances, and noticed the doors on the driver's side press hard against the weatherstripping in the door frames. The passenger side has maybe a 1/16th of an inch gap between the tops of the doors and the weatherstripping. So, the creak was a result of the top of the driver's side rear door pressing and rubbing against the weatherstripping. The Dynamat insulates and absorbs the noise.

It isn't sticking all that great, so if this provides a permanent fix over the next couple of weeks I will remove it, rub the area down with alcohol, and reapply a new strip to see if it sticks better. There may still be some silicon residue on the top of the inside of the door from when the dealer drenched the weatherstripping so it isn't sticking as well as it could.

It's 2003 and we sometimes still need to come up with our own solutions beyond what the dealer can do. But hey, it seems to be working.

·
Registered
297 Posts
It sounds like I am in the minority here, but my car (with 53,000 miles) sounds as tight as a drum! The speakers do rattle a little, but once in a great while. My hatch started creaking a while back when I drove on my dirt road, but I simply adjusted the rubber bump stops and it hushed it right up. My instrument panel buzzed too, but a quick adjustment with a screw driver tightened it back up. As for you ZX5 and sedan guys, look to see if the rear doors have an adjustment (latch maybe?) on them to tighten them up, it doesn't take long and you will enjoy the results, cars have slight variances, and there must be ways to take care of them.

Bryan

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I FIXED THE PROBLEM!!!!!!!!!

I found out it was the plastic peace below the sliding seat belt thing on the pillar. Every time I had been shutting my car the last 7 months, I guess it was getting looser and looser. Pounded that biach n and im good to go now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts