Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this has gotta be a record.

I'm sure our neighbors and everything will think we're mental cases or something. But, we just put down a deposit on a 2003 ZTW, Liquid Grey, LOADED

ZTW
Auto
Leather
Sunroof
Perimeter Alarm
6 CD Changer (Audiophile?)
Side Airbags
Advance Track

I think it's the most expensive non-SVT ever. Basically, it was ordered with all the bells and whistles for a car show in Ottawa, and after the car show was over, a local dealer HAD to take it, and they've been stuck with it since March.

We looked at a lot of things, and considered used cars, because Tina's insurance is going to be so high for a few years. But we really just decided this was the safest car we could afford to buy.

I'll sleep better at night (and in the passenger seat!) knowing we've got the side bags and Advance Track.

I could have tried to wait for a 2004, but we won't be getting the 2.3L engines in 2004 in Canada anyway, so there's not much point. And this is the last year of Advance Track, so we went for it.

One good thing actually, is it has a 3S4P transmission, which has the high energy clutches from the PZEV. So I can actually get a bit more power out of it without roasting the trans.

One question: I suspect it *might* have the "Audiophile* radio, this is what the dealer has been saying. Was it ever available, and what does it come with?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts

Nice Choice. Best color evar. Looking forward to reports on how well the Advance Track works this winter.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How could I confirm if it's got it? Here's what I know:

The pricing sheet shows:

"581 CDX6 6-Disc in dash CD/Clock" It's $635, which is the Canadian price.

I also have access to the Ford build sheets for the car, and it shows:

"Radio: CX -
Sound System: AA - Less Upgraded Sound System"

What's up with that?

How can I confirm, visually... or rather... over the phone to the dealer in another city. What could they look for to confirm what I'm getting?

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Go to walmart and but a DIN radio removal tool set. (Looks like bent coat hangers.) Go to the dealer, yank the radio and look for a sticker. It should have "9006" on it somewhere? Right?

Edit: Re-read you post about the dealer being in another city. Tell the dealer to yank the stereo and prove to you that its the 9006.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, looking around ford.ca, doing a build and price, I see the $635 option listed as "Radio: AM/FM Stereo w/6-Disc In-Dash CD Player"

Was Audiophile even available on the wagon?

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
Well for the SVT's the "audiophile" has a sub in the back! If you have a 6 disc, and a sub in rear of the car, then I would bet it is the audiophile.

Of course I don't know if the audiophile differs from SVT to non-svt.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn, Ok, so the Audiophile system seems to be available only on the Sedan and Hathcbacks, not the wagon. The 6CD is a $635 option, and so is the Audiophile!

Why would they even do that? Who would order a 6CD changer, but not take the Audiophile for the same price?

So, it would appear it's not the audiophile.

But then those build sheets... I almost wonder if they built this one special with the audiophile radio, but not the speakers? Just for the auto show?

I think the wagon didn't get the audiophile, because they didn't bother to make a sub enclosure. But maybe they built a special one with the 9006?

What buttons or something does the 9006 have that I could confirm easily over the phone?

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
The audiophile head unit will have a pin out safety thing like the regular 6 disk changer. but will have a different number on the front. 9006 or 9009 or something.

btw: the audiophile head unit, without the speakers, will be nothing special P-51. I think it is just the power premium option radio (which also came with my car). It has a pin out safety thing, and is fairly decent.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Or you can just look at the face of the 9006 where you remove the security bar. All of the audiophile radios that i've seen actually say "Audiophile" on the front.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it's the speakers and not the head unit that makes all the difference?

I've asked the dude to look for the 9006 Audiophile thing on the front.

If it's not, he says there's an exchange program, I can trade it for a single CD and get some money back. I can't believe it's a friggin $635 just to go from 1cd to 6. That's ricockulous!

Apparently I might get back $350 or something if I switch.

·
Registered
5,176 Posts
The audiophile headunit looks exactly like the standard 6dc changer that came with my S2. The only visible difference is mine says 6006 and the audiophile says 9006 on the front. The buttons and layout are all the same, there may be an internal difference but I suspect that what makes the audiophile is the sub and whatnot.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I thoughtt he 9006 had some special buttons or something? Steering wheel controls?

I saw a picture of a 9006, and it looked different than the 6 cd from my S2. The buttons were different.

·
TEAM Member
733 Posts
I was pretty loaded, but you beat me with Side-Impact Airbags and a Sunroof. I think you'll enjoy the ZTW.. even moreso than you're probably thinking right now.

In fact, check it to see if its sway bars match those of the S2.

As far as the radio goes - on my '02, it just came with the 6 disc changer and the usual, standard 4 speakers. I did not have an audiophile choice, but I'd have MUCH preferred a single cd player with MP3 capability back then.

·
Registered
11,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's just the 6CD changer. I can't beleive its a $635 option. For farks sake, I could get a DVD player with screen for that much on the aftermarket!

I mean... it's just staggeringly stupid.

I'm a little worried how slow it's gonna be with the auto. The ZTS was bad enough, now add 200lbs.
I LOATH that trans.

But, at least I get the high energy clutches, so I could do intake, UDP and I dunno what else. 150hp would be nice.

I am looking forward to the storage capacity though. BIGTIME. I might even finally bring home my Kayak from my parent's cottage. Course with the broken wrist I don't know how I'd use it. But, oh well. Plus, if we start finishing the basement, apparently you can get a 4x8 in it on an angle.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
you're going to love it, its going to be a bit sluggish with the auto, but you can always put a chip in it or increase the line pressure ....either way CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

I'm from a 3 focus family so I know how you feel....my mom has one, I have one, and my wife has one

·
Registered
619 Posts
An Auto w/beefed clutches cool. If your concerned bout sluggish, you can always JRSC...

·
Registered
159 Posts
P-51. Great! I'm really excited for you, and even a little envious cause I really like the wagon and LG and the sunroof. That's ok, I'm partial to my sedan...just really wish I had a sunroof!

I guarantee you will like AdvanceTrac. Glad to see someone else on the jet thinks it's well worth the extra money. Safety is the reason I bought the Focus over something else. Have fun with it, but stay safe! Enjoy!

~Tim

1 - 18 of 18 Posts