·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bay Area Gas Station Sells $6 Gas

Bay Area Gas Station Sells $6 Gas
Customers Buying It Anyway
(ABC7)
July 8 (ABC7) — If you think you pay a lot for gasoline, wait until you see what Michael Finney has found.

video Watch this report
RelatedLink Talk About This Story

Gasoline prices have gone way up, but we've seen nothing like this. In the Castro District of San Francisco, there's a station charging the mother of all gasoline prices.

One customer was getting ready to buy gasoline at the Castro ARCO, when Michael Finney gave him a head's up.

Michael Finney: "Did you see what the price is.?"

Customer: "What? Oh my god."

What is right. The ARCO at Market and Castro sure is proud of its gasoline. Just look at the prices -- $3.43 for regular, $6.15 for premium.

One guy says he's out $20 bucks.

Donald Chovan, San Francisco: "I've been coming here for years. I didn't look at the sign, you just assume it's within a range."

Within a range or that a number this big is a mistake or a joke.

Brian Compton, San Francisco: "We've got so much on our minds these days in the world, we just want to get our gas and go we have no idea someone could be sharing twice as much as the guy across the street."

Twice as much as the station across the street, actually more than double if you're buying premium -- 74 cents more if you are going with regular.

So what does the station say about this. D.J. and her husband own the place.

D.J. Joseph, ARCO station owner: "It would be different if I didn't have the sign up there, then I would be ripping people off. But if the customer just looks at the sign they are going to see it. I can't be out here every minute flagging down customers making sure they see it. It's gigantic. It's right in your face."

She says the problem is with ARCO corporate. She says she's being charged for gasoline she doesn't get. Now, that cost is being passed along to the consumer.

D.J. Joseph: "You feel like you are being ripped off and then you are turning around and ripping off your customers."

Michael Finney: "They say two wrongs don't make a right."

D.J. Joseph: "Yes, but I don't think I am ripping them off. You interviewed them and they still bought it. I'm not ripping people off. People can shop at K-mart or they can shop at Nordstrom."

And in fact, this guy did buy gas.

Michael Finney: "You are still going to buy gas?"

Customer: "I need it."

Michael Finney: "How about over there. There is a gas station right there."

Customer: "I'm out of gas. I need at least $10."

Michael Finney: "No, go over there."

Customer: "I'll get it right here."

Ten bucks will get him less than three gallons.

7 On Your Side talked to BP/ARCO and were told D.J. and her husband are independent business owners and can charge whatever they want. The company is now, apparently, also looking into the problems sited by D.J.

WTF how stupid are they??

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
well the people are dumb [censored] for buying gas 2-3 times more expensive than the other station 100 feet away.

these darwin award winners get what they deserve!

I like the owners..its right there on a big ass sign and plain as day.

·
Banned
10,374 Posts
Its called fishing. Although I usually see it done with items where some people may not know what a reasonable price is... somewhat rare items where the price is inflated 2-3x regular and see if you get lucky and snag a sucker or two.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Castro is the world's largest gay neighborhood. So much for the stereotypes of being well educated, but I guess the one about large disposable income is true in that area.

People are so lazy it's pathetic, they deserve to pay what they are charged.

I can see the headline tomorrow, Gas station charged with discrimination against gays.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Yep...SHAME on the dummies who don't pay attention to their tanks or the big lit-up sign out front.

If I were there I'd stand outside with my $1.00 soda laughing my arse off.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts
If I were there I'd stand outside with my $1.00 soda laughing my arse off.
I'm seriously tempted to cruise on over for a look.

..but I have work to do tonight.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
D.J. Joseph: "Yes, but I don't think I am ripping them off. You interviewed them and they still bought it. I'm not ripping people off. People can shop at K-mart or they can shop at Nordstrom."
Yes, but there is a remarkable difference in quality between the two stores...are they selling designer gas? Will it help your car run any better than it already was?

·
INCREDIBLY SHRINKING POST COUNT!!! (PSST...Add 10K
6,259 Posts
Castro is the world's largest gay neighborhood.
First time I heard of Castro was on FX's 30 Days hosted by Morgan Spurlock when he arranged to have a straight guy live with a gay guy for 30 days in Castro and see how they get along.They hit all of the local gay areas,met the gay guys friends,went to a gay church and so on.

BOT:Those gas prices are totally absurd but like the owner said the prices are posted where they can see it yet they still pay the price anyway.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Their fault if they don't read the sign. It is amusing, though...at least around here, Arco is well known for being 10-15 cents cheaper per gallon than the bigger chain stations.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts