Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is another tanker crash in CT where a tanker exploded, and melted a bridge on a major road. The crash appears to have been caused by a white SUV cutting off the truck driver. When the driver swerved to miss the SUV, The tanker crash killed the tanker driver, and melted the roadway. The SUV driver is nowhere to be found…

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=3597323

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?S=3597002

Is this honestly normal in most of the country for there to be yearly crashes like this that are so sever that they actually destroy the road they crash occurred on?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Happened a few weeks ago here in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. The pick up truck driver that cut off the semi had been drinking. The semi went off a bridge and onto a street below. Practically melted the bridge.

Those semi drivers have to be crapping in their pants the whole time they are driving those. Especially with the idiots on the roads today.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Is this honestly normal in most of the country for there to be yearly crashes like this that are so sever that they actually destroy the road they crash occurred on?
it happened in detroit like a year and a half ago...it happened on a sunken portion of freeway in downtown--it melted a bridge or an exit ramp or something like that.

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
why the SUV hate?

had absolutely nothing to do with being an suv. bad driver maybe but zero to do with the type of vehicle that they were driving

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
why the SUV hate?

had absolutely nothing to do with being an suv. bad driver maybe but zero to do with the type of vehicle that they were driving
I simply stated what the news article said. If you read the post i made last year about a similar situation I say corolla driver to blame.

I didn’t say “SUV driver” because the forum does not allow me enough room to say that in the title.

BTW they are LOOKING for the SUV because the driver ran from the scene.

it happened in detroit like a year and a half ago...it happened on a sunken portion of freeway in downtown--it melted a bridge or an exit ramp or something like that.
See now if you don’t even know I don’t think it could have been that bad. The crash that they mention in the videos that happened “last year” Closed I-95, which is the main interstate highway on the east cost and the main link from NYC to the rest of New England, in both directions for a week It is never a good thing when 200,000 cars a day are diverted off a major highway, onto side streets for a week straight.

That little incident pushed CT’s traffic problems up to one of the top issues in the state, and got people to agree to RAISING gas taxes (which went into effect last week btw) to fund a $1 billion dollar upgrade to public transportation system in CT.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
Screw that [censored]. If I'm driving 80 tons of steel and explosives and someone cuts me off, they're going down. Plowing into an Excursion won't even phase a Peterbilt. These crashes happen because the semi drivers are trying not to kill the only person on the road who deserves it.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
These crashes happen because the semi drivers are trying not to kill the only person on the road who deserves it.
That’s basically what I said in the news report. This guy was more concerned with the survival of the dick that caused the accident than himself, and it cost him his life to spare someone elses.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
a week straight? how about months. i found a link, it was a ramp connecting I-75 and I-94 downtown...each freeway carries about 170,000 a day and are the major north/south and east/west routes out of town, respectively. if i remember right (i can't find the "after" article) the bridges were closed until the next summer (this happened in the fall of '03) because they couldn't source steel and concrete that late in the season, and work couldn't be completed before freezing. coincidentally, that next summer is when i started working downtown

the reason i don't remember is because i don't live in detroit fulltime.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it was a ramp connecting I-75 and I-94 downtown...each freeway carries about 170,000 a day and are the major north/south and east/west routes out of town, respectively.
But was it just the connecting ramp between highways, or the actual highway itself that got closed? The crash that happened last year was the equivalent of taking one of those 6 lane highways themselves, not the ramp, and closing ALL 6 lanes in both directions for 1 week. Now picture not having another highway to rout that traffic onto, the only other road is a 1 lane each direction local road. So picture routing an additional 170,000 cars onto a single lane road that is lined with stores and apartment buildings on each side.

Once the highway was reopened with a temporary bridge there was a 1,200 percent increase in speeding citations. I believe police issued about 1,000 speeding tickets in one day on this span of road.

btw this section of roadway (as you can see from the temporary dividers) was JUST rebuilt over the last 2 years. They were just about to do the final repaving of the road, and to re-open the rest of the lanes.

We still don’t have connecting ramps between some major intersections in the first place here. In some locations you have get completely OFF of one highway, and then take the regular roads to get onto another major highway.

The area I live in was mostly developed before the car existed, so finding room to build new roads here is next to impossible. The land acquisition costs are astronomical.

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
We just had I-95 out by me shut down a week ago.

Interstate 95 was shut down in both directions near Fredericksburg this morning, after an accident involving three tractor-trailers, one of them carrying a chemical fungicide.

Officials said two northbound lanes have since been reopened, although southbound lanes could remain closed late into the evening, said Tina Bundy, a Virginia Department of Transportation spokeswoman.

"We don't know when they'll reopen," she said.

The state Department of Environmental Quality has told VDOT it needs to remove some of the pavement because of the chemical that was spilled and repave the area. The top 3 inches needs to be removed in a three-lane area about 600 feet long.

The length of the southbound backup is about 14 miles. Northbound appeared to be moving fairly smoothly as of noon. People going southbound can get off as late as Massaponax, which is Exit 126, and can rejoin I-95 at Thornburg, which is Exit 118. The trip is taking about two hours.

Traffic was being detoured to U.S. 1, which was choked with traffic as a result.

Motorists stuck in the backups reported being advised to keep their windows rolled up as emergency officials assessed the scene and cleaned up the spill at the 122 mile marker.

Virginia State Police said the accident occurred around 1 a.m. when a southbound tractor-trailer slowed as it approached an interstate paving project and was struck from behind by another tractor-trailer. A third truck, which police said was carrying sodium hydrosulfide, a fungicide, then collided with the wreckage.

State police said three to five 275-gallon containers had ruptured.

Police would not release the conditions of the truck drivers, except to say that injured drivers were transported for emergency care. According to VDOT, one of the truck drivers was killed.

At least two state troopers were taken to Mary Washington Hospital in Fredericksburg for decontamination, said Virginia State Police Sgt. F.L. Tyler. He said the troopers were treated and released.

One northbound lane was reopened about 6 a.m., and another reopened about 45 minutes later, VDOT officials said. State police said the spill did not threaten any watershed.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m not even counting the same day closure crashes, if I counted those, it would be every few months in this area.

·
[FJ] Fail Brigade
4,986 Posts
wow i had no idea the guy actualy died from that one. all i know is that route 7N is closed near ridgefield and the fire melted the road, caught nearby woods on fine and the gas on the river was on fire too.

we also had a guy fall asleep and drive into the gas pumps on the side of the merrit parkway like last year. they've finally finished rebuilding it back to normal about 2 months ago

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
we also had a guy fall asleep and drive into the gas pumps on the side of the merrit parkway like last year. they've finally finished rebuilding it back to normal about 2 months ago
Oh yea I remember driving buy that one, they had to tear down the station and rebuild it. Lucky for me I was on the opposite side of the highway when that happened, and the road was reopened in the evening.

There was also the crash a few months ago on the parkway where a land rover jumped the center divider, and then landed into 2 other cars, killing one of the drivers of the car it landed on. That shut down one side of the parkway for about a day. I had to take side roads to get to work, and my 15 minute drive (on a good day) to work took me 2 hours.

Oh do you also remember the construction crash like 2 years ago where a dump truck ½ fell of a merit parkway overpass, and they had to close the highway, and diverted all the traffic onto long ridge road in Stamford. That caused the ENTIRE city to become gridlocked during rush hour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts