Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one shows the manifold and turbo installed. Note the header wrap. I also have a custom turbo heat shield that will go on later.

The next two are just some more pics of the turbo and the manifold.

This one shows the turbo intake. I've converted the car to using an 80mm mass air flow sensor from an 02 mustang gt. Note the Turbo air cleaner at the end. I fell for the "turbo". But it's nice because it's the only filter I could find that would fit easily.

This one you can kind of see the inlet to the intercooler(dead center and facing to the right). The outlet is the blue tube that will connect back to the throttle body.

This one is another one of the air intake duct. It was the easiest thing to fab up so far.

These last two are of the downpipe in Tac welded only form. Tomorrow i'm drilling the holes for the 02 sensor fittings and mig welding it all up at work. Then I'm wrapping it in header wrap. It connects to a cosworth 2.5 inch flex pipe.

·
Registered
192 Posts
very nice...I am waiting for the prodution of them when it is finished.I will be installing pistons and rods for security and new crank hopefully,then wait for the turbo production to come out

·
Official [FJ] Distinguished Advisor
19,806 Posts
You aRe t3h man!!!

Go0d work!

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Very nice!

With the suck through MAF just make sure with a BOV to divert it back into the intake stream after the MAF(before turbo).

- Drew

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very nice!

With the suck through MAF just make sure with a BOV to divert it back into the intake stream after the MAF(before turbo).

- Drew
My bov is venting to atmosphere. I considered dumping it back in, but i want the loud wooooooosh sound.

Just to add a note the downpipe is only tac welded as of right now. Tomorrow i am cutting the holes for the 02 sensors, and then i"m bringing it to work to mig weld it. Then It's getting wrapped with header wrap. It's really short and was easy to fab up. It's going into a cosworth flex pipe.

·
Registered
184 Posts
looking good. can't wait to see it done... more importantly to hear what its like to drive when finished!!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You might want to rethink the header wrap:

wrapping headers to help reduce heat?

That's not the only place I have read that stuff, but what do I know?

>8^)
ER
For thin steel custom turbular headers, header wrap will kill them.

For a thickwall steel custom turbo manifold, header wrap is good. The turbo will perform better by keeping as much heat in the manifold as possible. And the steel is so heavy it would take forever to rust through.

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Cool - thanks for the clarification. I know I have seen it used on high end turbo manifolds like in WRC, however those groups have the budgets available to replace those parts as often as necessary.

Just looking out for ya, even though its obvious you know quite a bit more about what you are doing then I do.

>8^)
ER

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
My bov is venting to atmosphere. I considered dumping it back in, but i want the loud wooooooosh sound.
You can still hear it

Ever heard a stock SRT-4? That's a diverter valve.

How about a GTI with an Intake? Diverter valve.

WRX with intake? Diverter valve.

Just because it recirculates, doesn't mean it doesn't make noise.

The only thing venting it to the atmosphere will do, is kill your AFR when you shift, and could make your car stall coming to a light.

You are venting already metered air, the car will run rich, run crappy, then possibly die coming to a light. Or if you do a hard pull, let off, and go to park.

Please route it back in, for the sake of your car.

- Drew

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can still hear it

Ever heard a stock SRT-4? That's a diverter valve.

How about a GTI with an Intake? Diverter valve.

WRX with intake? Diverter valve.

Just because it recirculates, doesn't mean it doesn't make noise.

The only thing venting it to the atmosphere will do, is kill your AFR when you shift, and could make your car stall coming to a light.

You are venting already metered air, the car will run rich, run crappy, then possibly die coming to a light. Or if you do a hard pull, let off, and go to park.

Please route it back in, for the sake of your car.

- Drew
I'm running it open for now. If it does give me problems I'll have it dump back in.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Re: Another duratec turbo update. Good pics.

Excellent progression there 04boy. Cant wait to get some dyno numbers or better yet track numbers. Your doing a fine job so far!

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Excellent progression there 04boy. Cant wait to get some dyno numbers or better yet track numbers. Your doing a fine job so far!
You will see track numbers from me long before you see dyno numbers.

I can't wait to go to the track and have all the honda guys huddle around and wonder how my car was that fast.

·
Registered
244 Posts

LOL! I can see them now!?!?! "How did he beat my B16 SC CRX??" That needs to be VIDEO taped for sure. Who ever you take to the track, make sure he finds that Honda group to Tape the reaction!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts

he's conserving the energy of the combustion process.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts