Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another \"Garage\" question

I bought myself a tool-set... the Craftsman 151pc Mechanic's Set (on sale this weekend for $99!) And now have every socket I might ever need (not really... but its a start).

What other tools are essential to have... I know some screwdrivers... which I'll be gettin as well... but what else do you think I need?

(I'd link you to it.. but the direct linking is farked up with sears' website... just go to craftsman.com... click on tools... mechanics tool sets... and the 151 piece set or search Item # 00933151000 )

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Re: Another \"Garage\" question

That set looks pretty decent.
But, in answer to your question, you would probably do well to pick up some jackstands, and a floor jack (not sure they fall under the category of "tools" per se). C clamps are good to have as well. I'm probably forgetting some stuff, but that 151 piece set is a pretty good setup.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I should add... I've got a floor jack.... jackstands (but good lookin out).

I'm more lookin for what sorta hand tools to get.

Eventually... I'll get a big ole air compressor with the air tools out the wazzu... but I'm just lookin for lil hand stuff for now.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts

It depends on what kinda work you wanna do yourself. I'd say what has been mentioned thus far would be sufficent for most DIY work. A torque wrench would be good to have, also.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

A set of torx bits comes in handy when working on the focus, (just saying it in case they didn't come with your tool set).

·
Registered
2,864 Posts

i have everything everyone has mentioned about and ive never needed anything else. One thing i loved about my old car, i could take the whole thing apart with a 10mm socket. Only the focus has required more tools

·
Registered
424 Posts

vice grips my friend those come in handy on the front stabilizer links on the focus
, i believe i changed 8 front links alone last week

·
Registered
1,738 Posts

I found the "ratcheting" combination wrenches come in indespensable for getting into really tight places on the focus. I don't think I would of been able to get the euro lock on with out it.

If you ask me, great invention.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

If its mainly for working on the focus

A good set of metric wrenches
Breaker Bar
Assorted Pliers (dikes, linesman, needlenose visegrips, channel locks, ect)
A set of torx and reverse torx (for some of the heade studs, cam gear bolts, cam bearing caps)

Thats bout all i can think

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts

'lectrician's toolkit, wire cutters, wire stripper, crimpers, precision screwdriver set, Utility knife, allen wrench set, adjustable crescent wrench, pipe wrench (for getting those evil tie rods off!!), oil filter pliers, at least one small prybar or a crowbar.

Also, no garage is complete without a beer fridge, even if you have more mountain dew and redbull in it than acual beer.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts

kegerator

1 - 14 of 14 Posts