Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know similar questions have been asked before, but there have been varying answers and suggestions. So here's pretty much how it is..next spring I'm going FI..90% it'll be an SC, though I'm not sure which one. I'd like to have the Powerworks kit, but I'm entertaining other options. I've got some extra money and I'm liking the idea of cams. Before I get too far, let me say this: I'll be getting the FI money next winter/spring, so saving now won't help me enough to go FI any sooner. So, with all that said, what would be my best choice for a cam that will benefit me now, but not let the boost sneak out later.

Thanks!
Carl

·
Banned
2,246 Posts
get the random small things you'll need when you get the powerworks kit. Like boost gauge, wires, etc etc.

It adds up to A LOT when you're "DONE". I think I spent probably $5-600+ just on auxillary items when I put my turbo on.

thats NOT counting the J&S or tuning...obviously you probalby wont need tuning, but...still, something to think about

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Actually, that's on my to-do list here rather soon..I'll prolly but the full pillar unit and maybe fab up somen for on top of the column(sp?). Thanks for the advice, and not to be an [censored], but back to the cams.....

·
The best part about me is that I think I am better
4,481 Posts
We are in the middle of R&D and testing on our custom SC cams on our 2 powerwork'ed ZX3s.
these are specificly designed for the powerworks/JRSC applications and we are seeing very good gains so far. they are still a ways away from release but should prove to be a great upgrade once we finish with them. they have some cool features no other cams have that improve drivability with higher lift without any draw backs!

that's about all i can say for now, but once we get these cams sorted it's on to custom Turbo/centifugal SC Cams.

·
Registered
11,368 Posts
We are in the middle of R&D and testing on our custom SC cams on our 2 powerwork'ed ZX3s.
these are specificly designed for the powerworks/JRSC applications and we are seeing very good gains so far. they are still a ways away from release but should prove to be a great upgrade once we finish with them. they have some cool features no other cams have that improve drivability with higher lift without any draw backs!

that's about all i can say for now, but once we get these cams sorted it's on to custom Turbo/centifugal SC Cams.

But he wants to use them for NA right now...is that possible???

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well I got the stage 1 crower cams when I stuck my turbo kit on. It says those can be used for NA and turbo applications. All I know once tuned my car gained almost 30 horse at the wheels, and like 35 torque or something. Definately worth it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm most interested in high-mid/high end power. From what I understand, "stage 1" cams are more for lower/mid range power..would the purpose of this be for the boost to pick up the load at the top of the powerband when the cams pass their "window"?? If I could get away w/ a stage 2, I think that would be more for me, but would using a stage2 in conjunction w/ FI be less beneficial than a stage1? If so, how much? I'm searching, but any dynos you could put up or email me would be awesome. --> [email protected]

Thanks

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
???

·
Registered
786 Posts
*bump*

Anyone? Been searching for this sort of info and have gotten nowhere fast.

Edit: Of course, I post that, and then find this. How much of it is fact, I have zero clue.

Picked this up off another list, found it quite interesting. (it's an answer to supercharging and overlap).

Supercharger cams are a lot like NA cams. You want a healthy cam, but SC cams favor a lot on the exhaust side.

Most performance NA cams are a split pattern cam, favoring the exhaust 10 degrees or so. SC cams have similar designs, but favor the exhaust much more. I would say 10 - 25 degrees is the range (.050 lift).

The difference between NA and SC is that SC intake velocities are a lot higher, so you can run a much more radical cam without the caveats an NA motor would
have. At higher durations and overlaps, NA motors have reversion and velocity problems at low lift and RPM values. SC motors have much less problems in this area because of the positive intake pressure.

So, overlap on an SC cam is somewhat desirable for a few reasons. First, more overlap means the exhaust valve will run cooler and the head will run cooler in that region of the water jacket. This helps preserve valve seats, valves,
guides, and helps prevent head warpage and cracking. Some heads can be quite prone to cracking between the exhaust seat and the spark plug.

Another reason why overlap helps is because of standard cam tuning. The overlap will clear uncombusted gases out of the chamber and help compensate for small exhaust ports. SC motors are especially hampered by small exhaust ports because of the extra combusted volume. Big ports, primaries and low restriction exhaust are desirable for SC motors.

So, in closing, I wouldn't worry that you have too much overlap. The only issue I can see is emissions inspection, if applicable. The overlap will allow more uncombusted hydrocarbons into the exhaust and defeat the natural EGR effect negative overlap has.

Source http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1351134

·
Banned
1,327 Posts
Cams for a postive displacement Zetec car should be clost to a single pattern, much like the stock cams, only a bit larger. If you're looking for mid-top end power now, something between 218-226 degrees duration would be more than adequate. Too much exhaust duration relative to the intake will hurt low-mid power or marginal gains higher up. This is particularly applicable to the Zetec.

Thing is, adjusting the cams will have as much if not more to do with power than the cams themselves.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Well, I'm officially going with the procharger (kit is in the garage) and would like to use my crane 3's (specs below). The duration #'s mentioned by MM seem to be in the range suggested. Overkill?

218/390-Int.
218/390-Exh.

Lift - 9.9/9.9mm
(.390”) (.390”)
Duration @ .050" - 218° / 218°
Adv Duration - 240° / 240°
Lobe separation - 110°

1 - 14 of 14 Posts