Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting delivery of my 2004 F-150 in about a week and being a long term user of Mobil 1, I want to change the oil in the new truck to synthetic. It's going to be a gas hog so I want to do everything I can to help with fuel mileage. My question is, why do people recommend waiting awhile (I have heard 1000 miles, after first oil change) and going through a break-in period before changing to synthetic? My understanding is that Porsche delivers their new vehicles with Mobil 1 already in them so why wouldn't you want to change out the oil right away (not considering cost)?
Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
358 Posts
My question is, why do people recommend waiting awhile
Here's a rip from an Amsoil site:
"Breaking in a new engine is the one area that petroleum oil is better for than synthetics. You see, petroleum oil has a very low film strength which is ideal for breaking in a new engine. That is why we recommend you run the factory installed petroleum oil for about the about the first 500 miles. Then drain the oil, remove the factory installed oil filter and then install AMSOIL Synthetic motor oil and an AMSOIL Super Duty oil filter and your ready to go."
The article is HERE

Obviously, Mobil 1 and Amsoil have different opinions.

Taken from the Mobil 1 website:
"One of the myths that persists about Mobil 1 is that new engines require a break-in period with conventional oil. Current engine manufacturing technology does not require this break-in period. As indicated by the decisions of the engineers who design these high-performance cars, Mobil 1 with SuperSyn™ can be used in an engine from the day you drive the car off the showroom floor. "
That info is HERE

It's your truck and your decision....

p.s. Enjoy that new F-150!
This may be old news to you, but here's the
new F-150 website!

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just bought a 2003 Escape and am wondering about using synthetic oil in her. I have about 1500 miles on her now. Should I wait until my first oil change at 3000 to put in synthetic or do it now?

·
Registered
670 Posts
FearM9- It is my opinion that you should change your oil NOW!!! In addition, I feel that you have waited about 1200 miles too many. When you do change your oil, go Synth.

In either view (synth –vs- dino) you should change your oil as soon as you can. When your engine “Breaks in” the rings and bearings all become “seated”. This “seated” process is the sluffing off of metal, and that metal is carried off by the oil (you hope) and then trapped by the oil filter (you really hope).

I normally change my oil the first weekend that I get the car, and then on a doubling mileage schedule after that (ex: 250 – 500 – 1000 – 2000 – 4000 miles). After 4000 miles, I use the every 3000 to 5000 mile schedule.

Almost everyone agrees that Synth oil is better. The debate is just WHEN to make the change.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts