Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. I finally got the car out to the drags on Friday for the first time. Nothing special, and the track here is only a 1/8th, but I was wondering if there is some sort of calculation to try to work that 1/8th mile time into an approximate of what would be in the 1/4. I know it would only be an estimate, but that's better than nothing. I hope to get out a few more times to get some more practice, and then get off of the RS-A's, but until then, humor me. And please don't pull the "Just run it" as stated, the nearest 1/4 mile track is not so near. Anyway, 1/8th speed was between mid 69mph to high 70mph. Ran a 9.7 on the first run and 10.3 and a 10.1. Not positive that the 9.7 was accurate as some people were stating that the timing was fubarred. Anyway, if I could get a rough estimate by those numbers of a possible 1/4 time, that'd be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
some what of a ballpark figure is to multiply the 1/8th mile time by 1.5......you'll be surprised how close it is.

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cool. That gives me pretty much what I was looking for. Looks like low 15s, which is to be expected, since I've never done it before.

How much air should be dropped out of the front tires by the way? I only went down to 28psi from 32, didn't want to try messing with too much stuff considering it was my first time out. I'm still running the stock Goodyears.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
tire pressure really won't do a whole lot for regular street tires, dropping it down too far will create a bowl effect and actually give you less traction. I would say around 28-30psi.

·
Banned
613 Posts
i pulled a 10.052 in the 1/8th and ran a 15.695 in the 1/4... so ur lookin at mid 15's

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool. Not impressive, but not bad for my first time out. It'll only get better.

Last question. Is it better or worse, or irrelevant to go through the water patch (burnout pad) with stock tires?

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Cool. Not impressive, but not bad for my first time out. It'll only get better.

Last question. Is it better or worse, or irrelevant to go through the water patch (burnout pad) with stock tires?
Drive around the waterbox and then spin the tires a little afterwards. The only thing you have to worry about with street tires is getting the debris cleaned off of them. You don't want to heat up the tires, it will actually lessen the performance of street tires. Just make sure to steer clear of the water box.

Nate

·
8,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really? That's nuts. I went into the water patch (water box) all three times, and I think DJ did too. I guess I'll give that a go next time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts