Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moss had raised the price of the JRSC from $2700 to $3000. My local tuning shop wants $700 to install. So, in this scenario, a supercharger would run me $3700. This same local performance shop will build and install a custom intercooled turbo for $4995.

Would a turbo be worth the extra $1300 to you. Or said another way, would the whatever extra HP and characteristics a turbo provides be worth the $4995 compared to the performace gains of a SC for $3700?

I know I could save the $700 install fee, but the scenario does not include installing myself.

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
You need to ask the right questions. Don't just trust some shop who says they can build you a turbo for that price. How do they plan on tuning it? They might be talking hardware only.

As far as "power" without any worries about emissions inspections, I say turbo is much better than the Jackson. But for no worry, decent OEM like power, the Jackson is the weay to go.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
yeah, if you are even pondering spending 5k on some shop that hasn't made a kit for the focus yet, I would spend the extra 1k and get Tom's proven kit that includes tuning. Learn something and install it myself and then when I could take a long weekend or something make a trip down there for him to fine tune it because he will give you the tuning with the kit to get you going. Which really sounds like it is sufficient to stick with, but I always like dyno tuning to be sure.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Don't let just anyone modify your SVTF! Our ecu is very touchy. I'm with going to turbotom and getting his kit or just go jrsc alot safer.

·
Senior TEAM Member
4,821 Posts
QUOTE But for no worry, decent OEM like power, the Jackson is the weay to go.

The jrsc can do nothing that my kit cannot do as for worry free daily driver and my power level is much better than "decent OEM like power"

and the SVT turbo kit keeps the CAT if that is an issue

Tom

·
Registered
619 Posts
Tom, besides keeping the cat, wouldn't the SVT intake be kept as well?? After all having a two stage intake is one of the SVT's advantages ..yes??

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
yes the stock intake is kept, but he is in the process of making a sheet metal as well. Not sure if it is for the svt or regular focus, or it could be for both.

·
Registered
269 Posts
You need to ask the right questions. Don't just trust some shop who says they can build you a turbo for that price. How do they plan on tuning it? They might be talking hardware only.

As far as "power" without any worries about emissions inspections, I say turbo is much better than the Jackson. But for no worry, decent OEM like power, the Jackson is the weay to go.
My thoughts exactly. Well put.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts