Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
::sigh:: I'm through complaining, so I'll just list my newest dilemma.

I just got my car back from having the power steering replaced for the 2nd time last week. The last time the p/s went out on me, it threw the belt on my way to work and my car overheated. If I had known the belt was thrown I wouldn't have driven it, so don't ask why I kept driving...I didn't hear a thing. So I dropped it off at Ford and after a hassle, it was repaired under warranty. Now this weekend I run up to 7-11 and when I come out, I see that wonderful green liquid pouring out quite gratuitously from under the car. And this was literally a 1 mile drive and even though I'm a "madman" driver, I had been sitting in traffic so I hadn't been driving like a maniac. All in all, I get home and I can't figure out where the leak is coming from. I haven't had it on a stand yet, but when I look under the car, it looks as though the coolant is coming down over the oil pan. Anyone have any ideas where the leak might be coming from if it pours down in that location? The resevoir and those hoses are fine...its all coming out someplace else from which I can't see. Any ideas would be great before I drop it off at a dealership and get screwed for not knowing what's going on. I'm afraid I won't be able to GET to a place to jack the stand up without the car overheating.

Thx in advance

·
Registered
643 Posts
Re: Antifreeze/Coolant Leak anyone?

There are two smaller hoses coming off the rad near the p/s pump. I noticed that one of them seems to rub on the pump. Maybe that has worn through on yours...

·
Registered
151 Posts

I had the same thing happen to me with the power stearing. I couldn't tell the fluid was gone going down the express way. I look down and the battery light is on temp's pegged. The pump had siezed up with no fluid to lubricate it and broke the dang pulley off. But no leaks after repair. No help I know, just thought you might like to know its happend to others.

·
Registered
742 Posts

I had a thermostat housing leak. There is a plug Ford put into a old opening, and it started leaking to a small puddle over night in the floor

The Thermostat was sticking closed and all the sudden pop ssssssss
it opened. Never over heated. I think the pressure from a stuck thermo made the housing start leaking. Warrantee fixed it, but its a stupid problem that a better quality part could have prevented this from happening.
Carrently:
My starter want out and I had a NEW 2.3 Sedan (RENTAL) it had a big coolant leak, I did not care from where, just that it was really bubbling into the resivor 2 nights I had it. The second AM I went into the Garage BIG stream of coolant from the car The length of the garage to a 15" puddle and out onto the driveway

I'm disapointed it the lack of Quality in the Ford part

My dealer it doing a great job and NEVER hassles me and their work on my car has been great

Santa Margarita Ford

·
Registered
4,803 Posts

My coolant leak was caused by a coolant line which goes to the oil pump to fall out of this little crappy plastic holder and plop on top of my ORP. Eventually burned a hole through the line and pissed all over the place.

Though my instance was with the ORP, I've heard of at least two other people having this same thing happen even with the stock cat in place. So if nothing else, you might look here.

·
Registered
196 Posts

I don't know if I will be of much help, but the day after I sold my 2002 FSVT, the new owner called me and asked if I had ever had problems with coolant leak/radiator problems. I guess he was having the same experience as you. There was coolant all over the ground of the FSVT when he came out from being in a store. I never actually had the problem with mine and it just happened to be a coincidence, anyway, he got it repaired under warranty and all is good now. Maybe we will see more of this with time. When I sold the car it had about 14,000 miles on it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Yeah, get this. I haven't leaked any antifreeze since the 2nd day I had the problem. I filled her up...haven't had to since then. What's up with that? I drive 30 miles to and from work a day, and just this evening I had a SMALL drop of antifreeze hanging from the bottom of my car, but that was it. The resovoir is still full. Obviously I must have a leak, but nothing like it was the other day where it basically poured out in a matter of minutes. Who knows with my car

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

I should have done a search first... I just posted about this in team tech.
My car leaks for about a day, then stops, then after about a week, it will leak again.
It appears to be leaking from the "plug" in the thermostat housing. Anyone else have this problem? And if so, how did you fix it? Im outta warranty and cant see a way to get this plug out to replace or try to seal it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Those were my exact sypmtons, except I can't say that it looked like it came from that plug. I just had the water pump replaced under warranty today. Sorry I missed your post.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts

I just found out what this plug is I THINK!!! On the SVT with the cold weather package, where does the heating element plug into??? Is it at the bottom of the thermostat housing???

·
Registered
94 Posts
Re: Anthfreeze/Coolant Leak anynne?

2002, I'm having the same rymptoms...taking it in to dealer on Monday. Have you solved the problem?

Also, dongnong, did the water pump replacemdnt solve your problem?

Thanks, David

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Yes, they replaced the water pump and all is good

·
Registered
838 Posts

Okay...I'm resurrecting this thread as now MY SVTF has the problem of leaking from the thermostat/housing or water pump. I'm guessing the thermostat but I suppose I'll have to go get it checked out.

I probably drove all the way to Maine from Toronto without coolant last year because of this!!

I'm out of warranty but I hope SVT will issue a TSB for this!

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

Okay...I'm resurrecting this thread as now MY SVTF has the problem of leaking from the thermostat/housing or water pump. I'm guessing the thermostat but I suppose I'll have to go get it checked out.

I probably drove all the way to Maine from Toronto without coolant last year because of this!!

I'm out of warranty but I hope SVT will issue a TSB for this!

Any update? I think my leak is from the thermostat housing area.
Does anyone know the cost if Ford doesn't pick up the tab?

·
Registered
838 Posts

Well it turns out that it leaks only when it's very cold. I have yet to bring this issue up with my dealer. So far, it's working okay in this warmer weather.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts

I should have done a search first... I just posted about this in team tech.
My car leaks for about a day, then stops, then after about a week, it will leak again.
It appears to be leaking from the "plug" in the thermostat housing. Anyone else have this problem? And if so, how did you fix it? Im outta warranty and cant see a way to get this plug out to replace or try to seal it.
Looks like it's coming from the plug on mine too. Wasn't leaking this morning when I went to the dealership. Mechanic told me the o-ring might be going bad, and to just buy a bag of o-rings from the store and find one that fits.

·
Registered
686 Posts

i had a leak as well, didn't know where it was coming from because i never saw any coolant on the ground, EVER! but supposedly it was leaking from the hose's, the only way i noticed it was leaking was because i had to fill the coolant tank like every week. but i brought my car into the dealer and the replaced it! and now it's all good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts