Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering replacing my CSVT with the v8 focus and was wondering if anybody has purchased one yet so I can ask them a million questions!

Thanks
Joe

·
Banned
1,936 Posts
more od constructing than purchasing off the block. just you that nifty search. there's a few threads. them IM the dude(s) that have one

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually, the only threads the search function brings up are people discussing the v8's from a year ago. And, if you can imagine...I did try IM him and got no response hence the post!!!
Somebody at diamond plate company had one but no response.....

·
Registered
222 Posts
From the way you asked the question you do know that they dont sell them already installed with the V8. Its a aftermarket kit to put in a 4 cyl Focus. If you did know that then just ignore me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
i just tryed to put one together... it cost me 4500$ for the bolt in kit (peices)then i bought a 84 mustang for the eng. and if i needed anything else,before i got to start (that same weekend) i get a call from jerry and he asks how its going.i tell him i just gut the motor, he asks where did i get it i told him, he told me oh that wont work!!!ok whatever ,why???? he says that you need the gt40 assy. cuz of the water pump and the heads... i guess that the heads are diff. and fit ALOT better in the foci.ok??? the water pump is a short shaft ,so it also fits in better,hell i can get all these things elsewhere for less,but i fig. if im gonna do this i better go all new,do it right so i can show it not just play with it ,ya know? so in all it will cost me a total of $11,900 to do it.if you want to know more about what you need ...not what they think you should get let me know...ROLL ON

·
Tarderatoraka: Red-SE-00'
7,592 Posts
i just tryed to put one together... it cost me 4500$ for the bolt in kit (peices)then i bought a 84 mustang for the eng. and if i needed anything else,before i got to start (that same weekend) i get a call from jerry and he asks how its going.i tell him i just gut the motor, he asks where did i get it i told him, he told me oh that wont work!!!ok whatever ,why???? he says that you need the gt40 assy. cuz of the water pump and the heads... i guess that the heads are diff. and fit ALOT better in the foci.ok??? the water pump is a short shaft ,so it also fits in better,hell i can get all these things elsewhere for less,but i fig. if im gonna do this i better go all new,do it right so i can show it not just play with it ,ya know? so in all it will cost me a total of $11,900 to do it.if you want to know more about what you need ...not what they think you should get let me know...ROLL ON
With the kit you are supposed to be able to bolt in any 302 or 351. It does not make sense to me that ATI can fit that wide ass DOHC SC cobra motor in there but you cant fit a 225hp stock EFI V8.

Something is not adding up.

·
Registered
288 Posts
in 84 i don't believe that it was a 225 hp EFI mill.... i bet you it was a carbed motor with under 200 hp...

·
Registered
657 Posts
lets see.. i know...yes ...and yes. its the HO not like thats means much but im gonna do it anyways,i just need to save some more so its not down for the rest of the year...ROLL ON

·
Registered
2,819 Posts
I know it costs like 25 grand from that one place. They have the entire kit to change the breaks and basically the entire suspension. I dont think you can get away with doing it without changing all that stuff out. L8er Jon

·
Registered
35 Posts
The reason you have to use the Shorter front accessories is do to the fact the Focus engine bay is shorter front to back than a Mustang. Richard and the guys at ATI got the blown 32v motor to fit by doing their own custom front suspension from a Mustang. They also moved the motor back and down in the car as far as possible. The factory power brake booster was removed to help make room and they have Tilton master cylinders under the dash for the clutch and brakes. Not to mention the custom oil pan they fabbed up. That car has a serious amount of engineering in it that totally justifies the price tag on it. They even have everything in the dash working as well as all emissions stuff. Both of which won't work with a carb swap or my A9L fuelly setup. So custom gages in the dash for speedo, tach, water temp, oil pressure, and fuel level.

The car we're building we used a stock 302 block with a 347 stroker kit, AFR185 heads, converted Victor Jr to fuel injection, and the SFI balancer,water pump and pulleys are from a 94-95 v8 Mustang. They aren't as short as the Explorer stuff Kugel and JD's use but close enough to fit.

The biggest issue we have had was with the rear end. I'm moving the inner wheel wells in to make room for the 275/40-18 tires, C notching the frame to get the back of the car sit low enough and have room to travel. The rear is an 8.8 originally out of a 93 GT with drum brakes. This setup is 1/2" shorter than the factory Focus rear. We're also cutting it down another 3/4" per side and putting 9" Ford ends on it so we can run 11" rear disks relatively inexpensively.

Now the gas tank is another issue. Kugel and JD's offer a custom tank ($650) that uses the stock Focus pump and fuel sending unit. That's great for a carb'd combo. We're building a custom stainless steel cell that we can hook up -10 an line to for the pickup and have a -6 an return as well as using the stock outside filler. Even though it will have to pass into the car through the wheel well.

If you are planning on a high horsepower combo or do alot of driving in traffic on "HOT" summer days like we do in Atlanta, a radiator upgrade will be needed. Fluidyne makes a radiator for the cars with the V8 in them. The only draw back is that you have to notch the front bumper out to have room for the A/C condensor. No biggy for the plasma cutter and welder.

So as you can see there is quite alot to consider in taking on the project or when you wonder why they charge so much to build one.

Curtis
O&C Racing

·
Registered
144 Posts
HEY FOLKS...IT'S ME BACK FROM THE DEAD. (sorry for the caps).
yes i have a v8 foci. just what do you want to know?
here is a sample of what is in my car. go to this link and it should answer most questions.
http://members.cardomain.com/bigbadv8focus

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you want fuel injected and working gauges you'll have to go with a 32v motor out of a Cobra. 2001-2 Cobras don't have the blower but are pretty stout. You'll have to get all the computer harness and computer from the Cobra as well. There is a harness in development that will make this swap plug-n-play in a Focus. Thus keeping all emissions and dash related items.

Curtis

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you want fuel injected and working gauges you'll have to go with a 32v motor out of a Cobra. 2001-2 Cobras don't have the blower but are pretty stout. You'll have to get all the computer harness and computer from the Cobra as well. There is a harness in development that will make this swap plug-n-play in a Focus. Thus keeping all emissions and dash related items.

Curtis
drool...

You can buy crate engines from some builders right? If I can get a modern v-8 I'm sold!

·
Registered
418 Posts
how does at V8 RWD focus drive? Anyone got an autocross video of one? With all that weight up front, and that much power, doest the ass end just fish tail everywhere?.. though that could be cool....

·
Registered
35 Posts
Actually nose weight is pretty close to a stock Focus.

As for video, just wait. We'll have ours to some Autox events here in Atlanta and some track time at Road Atlanta as well.

Curtis
O&C Racing

1 - 20 of 22 Posts