Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some local Gas stations went to a one price for all grades to keep the price under $2.00 a gallon. SO 87 89 and 93 can ALL be $1.99 at the same station. This can kill the illusion that 93 is
"better" than 87, but it makes people buy the right grade of gas for there car. It also keeps people from being scarred away when they see the price sign.

Do any stations do this where you live?
Also what do u think of this idea?

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
I don't think it'll kill the notion that Premium is better than Regular.... its a marketing stunt.

"hey we're all one price so swing on by to crazy earls gas mart on route 49! Free balloons for the kiddies!"

Its labor day now... can we drop the damn prices already!?!?!?!

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
Premium isn't any "better" than regular. Regular is "better" than premium, 87 Octane has more energy in it than 93.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't think it'll kill the notion that Premium is better than Regular.... its a marketing stunt.

"hey we're all one price so swing on by to crazy earls gas mart on route 49! Free balloons for the kiddies!"
There is no marketing ploy with this, they just have 1 price. It's not just 1 station that's doing this there are a few here that do it. It's not one of those wacky WED things where u get $0.05 off each gallon, it's just the fixed price. Even stations that don't do it often only have a few cents difference per grade. My friend works at a station where they have 5 grades, 87,88,89,91,93 the difference from each grade is just a few cents. the biggest difference I saw between grades is $0.10 most are less than that.

·
Registered
19,264 Posts
trust me... its a marketing stunt. From now on, you'll remember that these places did it... and good or bad... it'll stick in your head. The assumption is that its good... cuz you'll think "oh yah... crazy earl's gas... they had that $1.99 for everything."

Thats why radio stations get gas stations go do their free gas wednesdays, etc.

I bet you'll find that all these gas stations are owned by the same person or corp.

I dunno what the goin average is where you live... but I'm willing to bet that they're losing money on this promotion... the only way to recover the loss is to write it off as "marketing."

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what's crazy is that you are paying 2 bucks a gallon. ouch. 1.37 here
and min wage here is $6.90 (soon to be $7,20 and that is still BELOW the poverty level for the area I live. To just survive Min wage should be more around $10 a hour here.)
rent for a studio starts at $900 a month
a 1 bedroom condo starts as $110,000

It might as well be a completely different currency since money is not worth the same here as in other places.

·
Registered
340 Posts
weird... we're stuck paying $2.15 for 91 octane yet minimum wage is still $5.50 iirc. vegas sucks. everything's all expensive and no one wants to pay proportionate wages.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Premium isn't any "better" than regular. Regular is "better" than premium, 87 Octane has more energy in it than 93.
Yeah but 93 has all those chemicals in it to keep it from predontating in your high compression engine

·
Registered
176 Posts
what's crazy is that you are paying 2 bucks a gallon. ouch. 1.37 here
and min wage here is $6.90 (soon to be $7,20 and that is still BELOW the poverty level for the area I live. To just survive Min wage should be more around $10 a hour here.)
rent for a studio starts at $900 a month
a 1 bedroom condo starts as $110,000

It might as well be a completely different currency since money is not worth the same here as in other places.
Werd.

I live in what is considered to be a pretty nice neighborhood, and I only pay $550 a month for a 650 sq ft. 1 bedroom.

About the gas. One thing I noticed is alot of places add more detergents and stuff to the higher grades, making them the equivalent of running some injector cleaner through my car. But I use high octane not because I think it's "better", I use it for it's resistance to engine knock. Nothing makes your engine knock like nitrous oxide.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Yeah but 93 has all those chemicals in it to keep it from predontating in your high compression engine
I'm be VERY anal, so I appologise to the poster.

There IS a difference between "detonation" and "pre-ignition". You sorta combined the two into one word.

Quick and dirty:

Detonation is cause (usually) because the compression pressures are too high (for the gas).

Pre-ignition is (usually) cause by glowing parts within the combustion chamber.

You won't see pre-ignition being talked about much on the Jet unless somebody has some weird sparkplugs.

·
6,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in what is considered to be a pretty nice neighborhood, and I only pay $550 a month for a 650 sq ft. 1 bedroom.

About the gas. One thing I noticed is alot of places add more detergents and stuff to the higher grades, making them the equivalent of running some injector cleaner through my car. But I use high octane not because I think it's "better", I use it for it's resistance to engine knock. Nothing makes your engine knock like nitrous oxide.
It's what happens when you live in a NYC suburb.

As for the gas. For the most part now ALL grades of gas have the same detergents too. Gas stations only get 2 grades of gas shipped, there lowest, and there highest. All the other grades are a mix of gas from the 2 tanks. That's why where my friend works there are 5 different grades, it's just a different pump, they still get the same 2 shipments of gas. The reason most stations don't have 87,88,89, they skip right from 87 -89 -93, is because most people don't even know how to buy grades properly in the first place.

The other little known fact is using the wrong grade will almost ALWAYS cost you more money. If you get to high a grade your are wasting your money on $ gas that has less potential energy in it. If you get to low a grade, a modern engine will attempt to compensate for it, and cause you to get worse gas mileage. So the best thing to do is use the gas YOUR SUPPOSE TO!

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Yeah but 93 has all those chemicals in it ...
You mean...octanes?

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Some local Gas stations went to a one price for all grades to keep the price under $2.00 a gallon. SO 87 89 and 93 can ALL be $1.99 at the same station. This can kill the illusion that 93 is
"better" than 87, but it makes people buy the right grade of gas for there car. It also keeps people from being scarred away when they see the price sign.

Do any stations do this where you live?
Also what do u think of this idea?
I was just thinking about this today, knowing that the prices of the gas (from the manufacturing plant) are the same for the gas stations. The problem is that the gas station business has so many sellers, that one seller will never influence the market change. There are few scenarios:

1. 1.99 is the same as average price of the regular gas in the area -> The pump will probably get more sales on the premium gas, but since it is charging less, it's profit margin is less as well, and the increased sales might not be equal to previous "discriminatory" pricing.

2. 1.99 is above the average price of the regular gas in the area -> People buying the regular gas (which is most of the revenue, not sure about the profit) will buy it's gas somewhere else, and the premium buyers will buy the same amount as always, since it's price will be similar to the pre-change price. By having less sales overall, the costs per unit will increase (same fixed costs, less units sold) and the gas station will probably loose money.

3. 1.99 is below the average price of the regular gas in the area -> The pump will see modest increase in sales of the regular gas and greatly increased sales in the premium gas. Depending on the price differences, this might create enough profit to justify the change, which I doubt. In that case, everybody else would switch as well.

Overall, I agree that it is a marketing ploy, but don't expect the practice to continue more then a week or so.

·
Registered
759 Posts

not really ture, all gas grades have the same level of detergents from a given station, they just advertise it more for the high grade, if you look at the fine print it says all grades

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.