Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i finally got my fc tb on right this time(didnt use rtv the first time, mad vaccum leak) everything was working reasonably well, great throtle responce, idle a little high when i pushed clutch in while moving to stop but i can deal with that its only about 1500rpm or a little higher. but all of a sudden when i pull in my driveway my check engine light comes on, wtf? did i break a sensor? is the rtv messing with one of the sensors? any ideas i can check would help out alot. im going to try to reset the computer again but im afaid it will just come back again, i dont know, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Your idle should not be that high-did you mess with the idle set screw? Whatever is causing that high idle is most likely causing the cel to come on. Resetting the computer will only help if the problem that caused it to trigger in the first place is corrected. what about the TPS? any problem installing it in the new TB? Did it go in nice and easy? Is it posible that the screw was set way too high from the factory? The only purpose of that screw is to keep the throttle plate from sticking. Also, you should not need rtv or anyother sealant to install the TB as long as the gasket is new and the seating surface on the intake manifold is smooth. Sealants, unless specifically called for by the factory, are generally not needed and are best used to hold gaskets in place when assembling parts.
I would suggest the following: remove the TB and if the gasket is still in good shape, reuse it. Then carefully remove all the RTV from the manifold and the TB. Check to be sure that the TPS is installed correctly, per instructions-it might be forcing the butterfly into a slightly open position. Check the throttle plate for excessive gap-it should be essentially closed. The engine doesn't need any air through the butterfly at idle. Check the manifold seating surface and carefully reinstall the TB. Those TB units are pretty simple and should not give you any trouble when properly installed. LOL

·
Registered
32 Posts
disconnect the battery, and let it sit about 15 to 20 mins, the connect it back. whenever you do a mod that has to do with air/fuel readings you need to reset the computers. The comp thinks its running with the original equipment and readings when actually its all different. Let the car then idle for about 10 min, you should notice that it will idle high then die down and do some wierd things for a little bit, then it will settle down. Or turn the car off and back on about 30 times, i believe after so many cycles the comp resets itsself

·
Registered
970 Posts
should i use a sealant on the tb install? i didnt, cant really tell if anything is wrong though? if so would the blue sealant work and should i put it on the throttle body side or the intake side?

thanks,

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Definately don't use sealant unless there is a real need for it, like holding together a damaged gasket or a damaged seating surface. I have installed and removed my TB a number of times and have not had any problem with sealing.
Also, you should not have to even reset the computer for a TB install, though it won't hurt anything to do so. You are using the stock TPS and any adjustments that the computer has to do, due to increased airflow, will be done on the run. A quick way to reset the computer-after removing the negative battery cable, hit the brake pedal and light switch to remove any capacitive charges.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the reason i used rtv is because i put it on with out any rtv and the car was idleing like a v8 with some crazy cam in it, the only problem me and my dad could think of is there was a vacum leak in between the gasket and the tb because when i put the stock tb back on it ran fine again. but after i installed the fc with rtv the problem was solved with the idle and now about 70 miles on the high idle fixed itself with a little bit of playing with the idle scew or the computer fixed, either way the idle is cool, but now the cel came on. so i took it to autozone and got it scanned they came up with a 1206 i think which he told me was an error with reading high idle, so is that the tps? is all i need to do is to get a new tps to get the cel to go off? anyone? anyone?

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Is your idle "normal" now? How is the overall drivability? Before you replace the TPS sensor, try resetting the computer if you havn't done that already. If the CEL comes back on after resetting the computer, It sounds like there may be some problem with your TB. The passage to the IAC built into the TB could be leaking air into the main air passage or vice versa. That would send extra air into the engine and could cause the high idle. There really isn't any reason for a vacuum leak or high idle with the TB except if there is something wrong with it. I was doing a search today and saw somewhere that the TPS sensor is cheap ($20 according to someone) so that won't be too painfull if it turns out not to be the TPS. I don't see why it would be that though if it worked fine with the stock TB but all of a sudden went bad when you put it in the new TB. Good luck-keep us posted on what you find out.
PS I believe that the code is a "generic" code-to find out exactly what it means you need to look a Ford specific list of trouble codes. I know some people out there have one they might be able to share with you. You might try moving this post to Team Tech (I don't know how to do that) or make a separate post there. The big question of course is what caused that high idle.

[ 01-04-2003, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: nordy200 ]

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what i ment by high idle was that it would be around 1500-2000 from when i put the clutch in and put it in nutral until i came to a complete stop for a good 45 second and it would eventually drop back to around 850 or so or whatever it was with the stock one. im just curious if a bad tps would not make the cel go off but not make the car run bad what so ever? but i will try to reset the computer, and i did do that after i put it on and was fine for about 14 miles and then came back on, but ill get back after i reset it and drive it around some more. thanks for the help by the way.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts