Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well can putting in a chip fry the ECU. I put one in on Sat. THe car drove, but died at a light and would not start because the computer was rejecting my key's code. I had to have it towed and have my keys reprogramed. And no, the key was not in the ignition when I put in the chip.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Originally posted by nazthug:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by Caribbean Focus:
Has anyone heard about instances where during the soldering process of chipping that the ECU was blown???
Im pretty scared of chipping my focus cause of this!
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">some of you guys just shouldn't be moddin cars...

please, next time get to know your cars..

i have people PMing me about how to intall a zetec controller, where to send a ECu for chipping, how to install a fuel regulator, crazy stuff like that...

please guys, for your car's sake, get to know it first
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm sure you were BORN knowing how to mod your car!
Also his is Euro spec...are you sure the ECU is the same?

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
God forbid someone asks a reasonable question Naz...

Caribbean Focus : KonaZXIII is correct. there is no soldering involved with the chips for the focus they basically "piggyback" the stock ECU onto a connector that is already there. it's just a matter of cleaning the rubberised coating off the connector and plugging up the chip and you're chipped and ready to roll

·
Registered
476 Posts
I agree with Naz, begore people go and mess with a car, they should know what types of things can be done to the car, granted you probably don't want to mess up a 10 thousand plus investment like an automobile. In other words if you don't understand what you are doing or know how something works don't mess with it. Just my .02 cents worth.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Let's cut the Caribbean fella some slack here. While I agree, you should know your car and what can be done, you have to remember, the term "chipping" your ECU can mean multiple things. To us in the USA with a NA spec car, that mean clean the contacts and plug in a chip. To others (Euro) it can mean an actual re-program of the ECU, rather than a plug-in. Now, in the Caribbean, there are a number of "interesting" mods that are done. While I wouldn't do them myself, monies and parts can be tight in the Caribbean area, unless you're loaded.

Christ, the Duty on a new car alone in say, Jamaica, is equal to about 100% of the actual car purchase price. So, that means you would pay say $12,500 for a car in Jamaica, and you will be paying another $12,000+ in Duty fees. That's nearly $25K US, and $1.204 Million in Jamaican dollars.

I just got back from Jamaica, last night, and let me tell you, the amount of kitchen forks, coat hangers, cut springs, and overwide tires will blow your mind, but that is what is readily available in some countries (especially the West Indies).

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
YES it is possible to screw your ECU up when soldering. You can short it out if you touch something else with the solder. You should've checked your work before you plugged the ECU back in and turned on the car.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Originally posted by doogie78:
YES it is possible to screw your ECU up when soldering. You can short it out if you touch something else with the solder. You should've checked your work before you plugged the ECU back in and turned on the car.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Go back to school please. Did he say he had soldered his ECU yet? I don't think so. Re-read carefully and don't just assume he already did it.

Take special note to the last sentence of the initial post.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Originally posted by bgkast:
Well can putting in a chip fry the ECU. I put one in on Sat. THe car drove, but died at a light and would not start because the computer was rejecting my key's code. I had to have it towed and have my keys reprogramed. And no, the key was not in the ignition when I put in the chip.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Bryan,
You could fry something, but that doesn't sound like what is happening with you. I've heard of this key programming deal before, but not sure how to resolve it...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Has anyone heard about instances where during the soldering process of chipping that the ECU was blown???

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by Caribbean Focus:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">some of you guys just shouldn't be moddin cars...

please, next time get to know your cars..

i have people PMing me about how to intall a zetec controller, where to send a ECu for chipping, how to install a fuel regulator, crazy stuff like that...

please guys, for your car's sake, get to know it first

[ 10-21-2002, 12:50 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Thanks for the support possumX.
Guys- No i have not chipped my focus as yet/ But True i can only chip my car (euro style) which apparently is a serial upgrade which the dealer has to do for me .
Or thru Superchips and apparently they require some form of soldering 4 terminals before they make contact withthe chip.

I was just wondering if the US spec focus has to do this. Apparently not. But thanks for the unput guys.
Remember: Life is better when youre Focused
Imjust a caribbean guy with the ONLY modified ford focus in Trinidad!

·
Registered
69 Posts
I guess the weather is hell of a lot better in the Caribbean than in The Netherlands at this moment. (I'm jalous.)

To get on topic, I never hear somebody speak about static discharges when placing a chip, this can fry your ECU. Just touch some peace of unpainted metal on you car before installing chips. (And don't open the bag with the chip in it before really installing it.)
Just my opinion.

[ 10-22-2002, 03:38 PM: Message edited by: Focus-Wagon-driver ]

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hey Trey! Shove it up your a$$. Just trying to help the guy while everyone else is raggin him. Instead of jumping on my, try helping him. Because of that "go back to school" comment. I cried myself to sleep last night. I wasn't able to finish school because I'm a limless freak. Thanks for bringing back those aweful memories.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Hey Trey! Shove it up your a$$. Just trying to help the guy while everyone else is ragging him. Instead of jumping on my, try helping him. Because of that "go back to school" comment, I cried myself to sleep last night. I wasn't able to finish school because I'm a limbless freak. Thanks for bringing back those aweful memories.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Sorry for the double post , but I wanted to correct my grammar for Trey. After all, he is better then me and I don't think I can handle that. Jerkoff

·
Registered
944 Posts
bgkast,
Another reason for the PATS (Passive Anti-Theft System) to kick in, which is most likely what caused the car at the light to shut off and not restart, would be if the chip was not totally in place and moved around a tiny bit and the contacts lost their connection. with the key in the ignition this could have easily happened. just make sure the chip fits snug on the ecu board and there should never be a problem with a chip after it's installed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts