Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if any else had some cool dual exhaust setups!! I have 2.5 into 31/2 in tips!! I don't have a scanner but if you guys have pics that would be cool to see what yours looks like!!!

·
Registered
987 Posts
what is the point of a dual exhaust on a 4cyl besides looks? wouldn;'t it even hurt performance and flow

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
If I see dual tips on a Focus, I hope there's a V6 or V8 stuffed inside as well.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
yes, they say it hurts performance. i wouldn't do it. when i see a 4-cyl car around with duals, it just makes me laugh. kind of like putting "type-R" stickers everywhere or cobra emblems on your v6 mustang.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's not true dual exhaust it is 2.5 into two pipes I think it looks nice. Atleast it's different

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by FocusDave01:
it's not true dual exhaust it is 2.5 into two pipes I think it looks nice. Atleast it's different
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">it's your car man. whatever you think looks good to you, does.

even if they do hurt performance, a lot of aesthetic mods do, right?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Why would it hurt performance? A little extra weight? You can have two otherwise loud high flow mufflers and be quiet.

·
Registered
987 Posts
uhm it's been said before unless there is a big v6 in there or a v8 or larger dual pipes will only hurt you in the end

do a search plenty of discussion on this very topic

·
Registered
368 Posts
theres a couple of people who have them with their EVO kits....i think one is a dual can set-up and another is a one muffler with two exit pipes with 2 tips.....I don't think anything is wrong with that one.

I'll have to look around on pics folder to see if I have some....I think some of them looks really good IMO.

·
Registered
210 Posts
i think its ok to have dual tip. I dont think i would hurts the performance, i saw a lot of euro focus in the picture with dual tip it looks

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've seen his exhaust in person, it looks tight, not ricey at all, more like a clio, very purposefull, thought about doin to mine
man thats alot of commas

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Two Straight-Exiting tips from a single muffler should be fine. What really loses performance is the set-ups that have a "T" to make the tips exit on the left and right a few feet apart. That's 2 additional kinks in the system.
Hell, why not a muffler w/ 8-10 tips coming out, sort of looking like some of those rocket launchers they use on the sides of helicopters. The new "Spirograph" exhaust tip...

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think dual tips look great...

I also think that dual pipes can look great, and even on an inline four, can you say S2000? or MR2? So what if it adds a couple of pounds, so does my sunroof, but I still love it.

People that put 17's or 18's on their cars better not rip on dual pipes either, because they sacrificed performance for looks, and I bet 18 inch rims will hurt 1/4 mile times worse than 15 lbs of extra pipe and a t-section. (And I know 17's or 18's might help handling, but with the same width tread, a 15 or 16 will do just fine, and might even be better, in an autocross.)

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Sure, dual tips look great. But you're TRYING to make it appear as if it's a V6, which to me is what "ricey" means. IMO:)

[ 10-23-2002, 12:03 AM: Message edited by: Phillip ]

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
BlueZTS

Off topic but...

I'm switching from stock 16" to 17" RPM's. My final ratio won't change a bit. I'm dropping at least 20 pounds off the weight of the car, plus lowering un-sprung weight 5+ lbs. per wheel as well.

Do you still want to use the 17" wheel degrades performance as much as 15 lbs. of tubing argument?

I'll let this one go. If you like duals tips, do it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The only way that duals would hurt the performance is because you would lose back pressure in which case yo would lose low end torque but with more out flow in the exhuast you gain in the higher rpm's. Just depends on what you want out of them. I wanted duals on my car for the looks but I can't come up with a way to keep my low end torque, so I don't think that I'm gonna do it.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
The "T" of most duals, (Not just dual tips on a muffler) would Restrict flow, and Increase backpessure...Probably TOO much for benefits of any variety.
BTW, the 17's being lighter than the 16's is definitely a Plus, but it's partially negated by the fact that a greater amount of the weight that it is trying to turn is located farther from the center, which results in a loss of torque at the wheels, since the force of leverage is on the side of resistance. It takes more power to spin a larger diameter wheel of equal weight up to speed.
The fact that they're lighter overall helps a bit though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i have only one mufler it it dynamax turbo when i get digital camera i will take pics

1 - 20 of 23 Posts