Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took off the heat shield on the stock headers today...was just curious to know if there's any real danger to the engine if I ran without the heat shield? I just didn't like the way it looked but if causes problems I'll stick it out.

So does anyone know if there's a problem with taking off the heat shield?

-AM

·
Registered
641 Posts
Melting dipstick ?

=dRe=

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
You like the look of the stock manifold better??
The Function of the Stock manifold is Actually about as good as any "Shorty" header on the Market, but it's NOT Very pretty.
So yes, there IS a Drawback to Removal.
It Hurts my Eyes...

J/Kidding. I don't know that there's any Functional Problems, other than the Potential for Heat Fatigue on the paint on the hood. I've HEARD of Cracked paint from Exposed Shorty headers, but I don't know all of the Details.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Your better off maybe painting it and reinstalling it. It keeps underhood temps down and also helps with the exhaust flow by keeping the temp up in the headers.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
While you have the heat shield off... grab a can of high temp (1200*F) flat black paint... some cleaner, and a skuff pad...

paint it up, and put it back... looks much nicer.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
The heat shield is there for one reason only, to protect your hands. The shield at operating temps will get hot, but not nearly as hot as the pipes. I have one hell of a scar to prove it. you could touch the shield for a second or two when hot, but the pipes will blister you in 1/10th of a second. Don't touch! hehe. I'm a dumbass. Please carry on.

g

·
Registered
729 Posts
iv had mine off for like a month,,,,im bout to grab some paint,,,,and it is ugly as any thing iv seen

1 - 7 of 7 Posts