Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am seriously considering finally bolting on the cossie manifold and getting a custom ECU tune...

Has anyone had a custom FS werks tune since Randy went to Mountune? I am asking because I heard many positive reviews of Randy's work, and I know nothing about whoever is doing the tuning now. My car needs to continue to be a reliable daily driver....so I'm doing a little research first.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also, feel free to PM me reviews if you are more comfortable going that route.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I got a tune from them when i had gotten my udp, 67mm tb, and k&n drop in filter. 6 months or so later I got a high flow race cat and was going to put on a cold air and i called them to get a tune for the new updates and they told me i already had the best tune they had that if i wanted something more custom to go and get it dyno tuned, it was not the best experience in my book.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I bought a stage 2 kit and was told they could not support the cossie due to not having a tune for my ecu with that intake. I went on and installed it anyway, and the tune they provided has been fine. Max AFR under boost went from 10.8 to 11.3, but still well within the safe limit. There is a momentary lean immediately after opening the throttle, but I don't think you would be able to get rid of that with the cossie. I think they can do minor tweaks right now, but no major tuning. I don't think they have found anyone to replace Randy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
And that was like 3 months after randy left just to clarify. Makes me wish i had gone to someone else sometimes.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Not particularly having any problems just it took awhile to get answers from them and they made it feel as if they could care less if i bought anything from them or not, just not like they were eager to earn my business and sell me on what they could do for me, just over experience wasnt great.

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
In the case of the 'canned' Stage2 tune it is quite likely that there is a lot of Randy's DNA in that tune.
There are many of us who are running a Stage2 or a Stage2+ setup with known component variables that are well within safe limits. My car which dyno'd at 404whp was detuned specifically by Randy himself because he himself stated that he wanted to leave some margin of safety. For my money 365whp is plenty.
Raffi can and will make some adjustments to a canned tune based on your car's specific needs.

As for calling into question FSWerks' customer service :what:
I won't beat a dead horse only I have always received nothing but forthcoming and honest service from everyone involved in the company (before and after Randy left); including on several occasions Vik talking me out of a purchasing decision because it didn't serve my overall performance goal.

I cannot vouch for FSWerks' business model regarding custom tunes for Mk1/1.5/US2 mildly NA modified but I'd say take your displeasure with their ambivalence with a grain of salt. After all, how many companies still support the gen 1 cars as they do? (And they answer their phone too btw)

I'm about to go Stage2+ with my old ass irrelevant Mk1.5 DD and I will be sure to update this thread with both a review of the service I received, the tune and its performance.
-c-

·
Registered
42 Posts
My expierience with FSWERKS has been pretty positive. Raffi and the guys over at FSWERKS have always made time to address my concerns and explain things when needed. I don't think you can ever make everyone happy, but I think they do try.

·
Vendor
153 Posts
I am sorry our customer service was not 100% for you. If its tuning related I would recommend emailing me: [email protected]
Thank you.
Not particularly having any problems just it took awhile to get answers from them and they made it feel as if they could care less if i bought anything from them or not, just not like they were eager to earn my business and sell me on what they could do for me, just over experience wasnt great.

·
Vendor
153 Posts
Assuming you have a Focus SVT and If I am reading your post correctly the tune does not change for a high flow race cat & intake.

I got a tune from them when i had gotten my udp, 67mm tb, and k&n drop in filter. 6 months or so later I got a high flow race cat and was going to put on a cold air and i called them to get a tune for the new updates and they told me i already had the best tune they had that if i wanted something more custom to go and get it dyno tuned, it was not the best experience in my book.

·
Registered
940 Posts
My car is currently down because I'm replacing the shift cables, but I just installed my FSWerks turbo kit last week
and will write a little review of Raffi's tune once I get my car fix and drive it around for a little bit. First impressions
are very good though. Car runs real well, the WOT pull went very smoothly, and the datalogs are looking good.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Ok. I've been driving my car around now that the tune is dialed in and the shift cables have been replaced,
so here is my review:

The tune Raffi worked up for my car, which is an 02 ZX3 with the zetec engine and outfitted with FSWerks zetec
turbokit, is damn near perfect. Car starts up and runs exactly like it did when it was stock. No hiccups, no fuss,
it just flat out runs excellent. On the road it drives the same as stock when not in boost and is very mildly
mannered. But when you get into boost, the car just pulls all the way to redline. AFR stays steady at 11.5-11.8
when in boost and power comes on nice and smooth. It really does feel like the car still has the stock tune on
it, but has the necessary programming added to it for boost. I am very pleased and satisfied with the tune on
my car and wouldn't hesitate to recommend one of there turbo kits to someone. Thanks again for the great tune
Raffi!

·
Registered
940 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts