Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious.
The reviews that I've read mention a little more squirm at full tread depth compared to the giant blocks of the Falken Azenis, but I don't know how much they're talking about.
I see the Hankooks at $85/tire vs $100/tire for the Azenis 215's.
I currently have half worn Azenis on the rear, but desperately need something for the fronts NOW.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll try out my brandie new RS-2s this Sunday.
Annnnnndddddd............

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I tried them for only one run (1st run) at an event a few weeks back. I have 215/45-16 as daily drivers...and admittedly, without giving the Hankooks a fair shake, I put the 205/50-15 Falkens right back on the car between runs. The Hankooks wouldnt turn at all. They are just so different than the RS215s that I didnt feel like chasing them all day, as my Falkens are almost new and have plenty of life left in them.

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Mike go with the RT 615 they are great on the Ring. Took 32 seconds off my time and I am sure there is atleast another 15-20 seconds more to take.

·
Registered
874 Posts
They were tested in the new issue of GRM and they had the least grip of the street tires tested.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
They were tested in the new issue of GRM and they had the least grip of the street tires tested.
Uh huh, and Andy Hollis has already won at National SOLO2 events this year in STS on them...the GRM article, from what I understand (Still waiting for the mailman) makes the whole street tire issue about as clear-cut as mud.

I would say that unless you are a national caliber driver in a really-well-set-up car, the difference between the top 5 tires will be pretty neglegible once the proper pressures (for each particular tire) are figured out.

I did not especially care for the Hankooks, but that was only after one run--and that one run was a first run of the day. I will try them again after an event during fun-runs and see how they compare to my timed runs for that day on the RS215s.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Well, GRM didn't think much of my favorite non-R track day tire; the Kuhmo MX either. They rated it second to last and there was a national title won on them also. GRM even mentioned that fact. I simply stated that they found the Hankooks to be the worst in Grip. At least they beat my tire overall.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mike go with the RT 615 they are great on the Ring. Took 32 seconds off my time and I am sure there is atleast another 15-20 seconds more to take.
Can't do...

Until my NEXT set.
HOPEFULLY they'll be available in my size by then.
For a pair for now, I've order a pair of 215's to get me through until 615's become available, or I may be trying the Kumho's or Hankooks.
IMO, Falken really dropped the ball on sizing/availability on the new model.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
I suspect that if tested on a track...with sustained high temps, the MX and the KD would have scored quite high...the Hankooks and both Falkens 'go away' once too hot and like to be watered between runs in a hot autocros environment.

Like I said, they are likely all 'good' choices right up until you are competeing for a trophy at Nationals...and even then, 3, maybe 4 of the 5 can probably get the job done--all other things being equal...and the 'new' Toyo T1R wasnt tested, and may very well be an excellent choice as well. Like I said, clear as mud

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
So what was the order of the GRM rankings? Just curious?

CCC

·
Pron Star
14,609 Posts
Mike: Dang they finally made a set in my size 215/40/17 and the harder sidewalls work great on the Ring. I have not tried them in a slalom yet but that is coming in a week or so.

Auto-X-ZTS: I ran the 615's on the Nuerburgring last Sunday and never had a problem with them. Even pushing the car hard and getting it a little sloppy the really helped with my over driving them. They reached much hight temps than my Dunlops did. The track temps varry because it is so long and covered by shade in different areas. I am completely happy with them. Now they are my first sticky tire so maybe I am a bit biased. I loved my Dunlops but these are way better. There was no blistering of the tires but a lot of marbels(sp) on the rear tires. Have not washed the wheels yet so I am not sure how much rubber residue has collectd on the rims.

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
They are supposed to be much more heat restant than the 'old' 215s, but the "HotShoe" national level autocrossers still claim that they can be overheated and thus still feel that watering between runs, especially on hot days, is necessary. That said, from what I have read, when they do 'fall off' from being hot, it is nowhere near what the 215s did. On a big ol' track that will not be as noticable as on a 60 second course where you are clawing for .1's of seconds (and doing the same turns over and over). I would wager that on a smaller road course, where you are doing laps in say the 80-90 second range, youd see the falloff a bit more; there are way too many places on the 'Ring to gain and lose time (on the same lap even), that it would take an obscene amount of consecutive laps to really guage anything. That said, I am glad you like them--there are some really excellent choices for us who run UHP non "R" tires

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Point?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
No flames meant! I though that I had missed someting which you were trying to clarify by noting that... Its all good, brother

(Plus it is kind of unclear (at least to my pea brain) if you were referring to Hankooks or Falkens...or both)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts