Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one on here swap out there auto tranny to the manual tranny?
I thinking of swaping trannys
I really want to do the 6 speed from the svt
and on a sedan damn instant touring sedan.
a six speed sedan!
aaaawwww I think it would be helll of fast.
Then I will do the FR200 speed parts...
So any one do the swapo on here?

------------------
Red Sedan Zetec...
Wings West complete kit
Wings West touring type II Wing
H&R 1 1/2 inch drop
Custom cat back
Focus Sport intake
HP Quantum Window Tint by Solar Guard
Stereo from hell...

For Custom Focus and Elantra Products
Please Visit:
http://teamblack.cjb.net

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can someone post on this i'm needing some help soon if it will swap i wanna do it.

------------------
Red Sedan Zetec...
Wings West complete kit
Wings West touring type II Wing
H&R 1 1/2 inch drop
Custom cat back
Focus Sport intake
HP Quantum Window Tint by Solar Guard
Stereo from hell...

For Custom Focus and Elantra Products
Please Visit:
http://teamblack.cjb.net

·
Registered
59 Posts
Alright, first of all, the six speed really wouldn't improve performance all that much.
Second of all, you're looking at 7-10 thousand dollars for the work and parts. You can't just switch trannys, you have to retrofit, tweak, etc etc.
So, in my opinion, if you really want a manual transmission, it would be the best to trade your car for one with a manual tranny. Otherwise, you'll have to live with the automatic.
If you've got the cash and time, go for it. It's really not worth it though. Sorry.
brian

·
Registered
255 Posts
yup exactly. i'm stuck with an auto tranny too. i was also thinking of putting in the same 6-speed into my car. however, being that it's such a money-hassle process, i chose to stick with the auto. money would be best spent on the suto if you were to beef up the torque converter. there are places that'll do it. you just gotta let them know what you're about to drop into the car.

·
Registered
125 Posts
in about 3 years or so people are going to be swapping left and right. But when you have a new car, it doesnt pay off.
Know what I mean?

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
yep, people on probetalk.com swap their ATX's out for MTX all the time...but probe trannies are only about $1000 cause you can get them at a junk yard.

------------------
Marc DellaValle
White 97 Probe SE
Yellow 2001 Focus ZX3
"Why search when you can.....Probe?"
www.probetalk.com member

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Ok. I have a good deal to get ALL the engine and tranny stuff out of a junked focus (rear end collision)

I really NEED the ATX- MTX write-up.
Can anyone find it???

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
zx3rx7dude, you couldnt be further off!
AlaFoci did an ATX to 5-speed swap...

he bought a junked car for like $900 from a junk yard, towed it home, took the tranny, the wiring harnesses, the ECU, etc...

he and some friends did the swap in a few days, and i believe total cost was in the ballpark of $1500 including having the dealership recode his keys to the new ECU.

It can be done, it just takes time and effort, but it DEFINATELY wont cost $7-10,000... for that much you can almost do the v8 complete swap

[ 12-12-2002, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: TooleBox ]

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
oh, and im not sure i'd go for the six speed, if for no other reason than cost and extra work. you'd have slim to no chance of finding one in a junkyard, so you'd have to order a new one, which = money. but a manual WILL improve performance because 1st gear in an auto is only SLIGHTLY shorter than second gear in a manual
we're talking .10 or something like that shorter. damn auto. sure, its a higher final drive, so its balanced out a little i guess.
i hate my auto
hehe

·
Registered
104 Posts
I'm actually doing this swap come Jan/Feb....I purchesed all the needed parts for aroud $2,000....I'll be able to do the work myself, so that'll save alot!!! So compared to $4,000 for a level 10 build-up....it'll be well worth the swap.

·
Registered
386 Posts
If someone can get alafoci to show up in this thread, he would be an invaluable resource. Anyhow do we need a transmission/ecu/wiring harness all out of the same car or can we do it from parts aquired here and there...

·
Registered
314 Posts
Alas I have arrived! LoL

The swap is 100% possible! Toolebox is right, I bought the car for exactly 800 dollars with a motor, tranny, complete car almost. Motor has less then 2k miles even!

Anyway, total cost was only about $900 bucks at the time, thanks to some friends at my local Ford dealership coding keys etc.. for free. And actually, I've made some of that money back selling **** off the car!

Don't listen to anyone say it can't be done!

·
Registered
328 Posts
is the manual any stronger than the automatic?

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by narcolepsy123456:
is the manual any stronger than the automatic?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">by leaps and bounds

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
i tried and i cant find it anywhere. i can find the thread where he talked about his swap in progress, but not the finished one.
if you want to keep searching, his (AlaFoci) number is 3203. or PM him!

·
Registered
3,046 Posts
I recall someone making a list of the specific parts that are needed for the swap. I tried the search but came up empty.
Bleh...I'll try again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts