Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody have a \"how to\" to make brackets for the progress sway?

I'm looking to buying the progress rear sway bar, but I don't have the stock brackets that come w/most cars.....anybody have a how to on doing this? thanks alot

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Re: anybody have a \"how to\" to make brackets for the progress sway?

I'm a little confused

The Progress sway bar comes with the bar/bushings/brackets/endlinks when you buy it new.

Are you buying one used without the brackets??
If so....try and contact Progress
That'd be your best bet

·
Registered
534 Posts

dude go to a local junk yard if they have a focus im sure u can get these brackets... as long as its front end damage and not hit in the rear cuz then they might be bent up... all it is is 4 bolts, 2 on either bracket which there is one bracket per side... now we are talkin about the brackets (2 of them) that hold the bar to the subframe not to the control arm... we have to be cuz to the control arm is just bushings and a bolt if i remember correctly... my question is y dont u already have these??? did they fall off?? if so how the hell did that happen???

jason

·
Registered
233 Posts

The brackets he is talking about are welded to the crossmember. I have my 05 and it did not come with the mounting brackets. I had to make a mount to install my Progress bar. It is strictly a bolt on so it isn't that hard. Go to the Search section In the subject line put in Mounting method for a rear swaybar. Next under user name type Overfocused and in the time line put in Newer than 1 year. There is a written explanation and pictures of the install.

·
Registered
534 Posts

wow good to know i figured all foci had a rear sway bar stock so thats y i figured the brackets were there already... u learn something new everyday

jason

·
Registered
233 Posts

I know the 05 S and SE models do not have a rear swaybar. One of the other focus members (carlfreddy) in particular had that problem but he purchased a new crossmember because doing mounts in his case would not be allowed in his class in Autox. I did make some modification to the install I told you about.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

how much do crossmembers usually cost? or would it be better to just make my own brackets?

·
Registered
233 Posts

I think the crossmember is about $150 but I'm not sure. I made my brackets for about $20.00

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

junkyard for the crossmember

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Re: anybody have a \"how to\" to make brackets for the progress sw

Many of the lower line foci did not have rear sways. SPI SE models mostly if I recall.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

yeah that' what I have is a SE, I have the zetec and all now, but I still don't have brackets lol.....hey bigal how did you go about making ur brackets?

·
Registered
233 Posts

I started out by looking at antother post from Overfocused. Go to the search section and look up mounting method for rear bar. I did some modifications to that install.
Mounting Method for Rear Swaybar on Base Model 2005 ZX3
#2416627736 - 02/02/05 12:32 AM

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

it says URL not found : (

·
Registered
233 Posts

This is it. Check it out and I will tell you what I changed.

Performance >> Suspension Previous Index Next Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
OverFocused
Rookie

Reged: 11/24/04
Loc: Oregon Re: Mounting Method for Rear Swaybar on Base Model 2005 ZX3 [Re: OverFocused]
#2416640093 - 02/08/05 12:07 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

These are photos of my Conformal Clamping Method for attaching the rear swaybar to a Focus that had no factory bar.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=1

View 1 shows the driver side as seen from the rear. Small hole in crossmember to the left of clamp is the approximate location of the welded factory mount, if it had one that is! This clamp is more inboard by about an inch and a half.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=2

View 2 shows the driver side clamp as seen from the location of the left rear wheel. Red bolt is the lower of the two bolts. The front of the car is to the left.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=3

View 3 shows the four metal clamping plates. These are 4 x 1.5 inches with .400 inch diameter holes at 3.125 inches between centers. These plates will actually bend or conform around the oval cross-section of the crossmember to provide the necessary friction for stability.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=4

View 4 shows the driver side clamp assembly again. Bolt heads are towards the front of the car. To the left of the top bolt is the handy structural feature of the crossmember that actually locates the clamp assembly along the length of the crossmember. The passenger side clamp is symmetrically located and ends up with the bolt heads between the crossmember and the rear of the gas tank.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/pictures.html?id=2131030023&idx=5

View 5 shows the same driver side clamp and the avoidance of the exhaust hanger. Again, bolt heads are towards the front of the car.

Note:

Please read my original post at the start of this thread for a written explanation of the installation.

--------------------
2005 ZX3 Duratec 2.0 L

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
OverFocused
Rookie

Reged: 11/24/04
Loc: Oregon Mounting Method for Rear Swaybar on Base Model 2005 ZX3
#2416627736 - 02/02/05 12:32 AM Edit Reply Quote Quick Reply

I had previously posted the installation of the Ford Racing SVT Suspension Kit, but had not yet installed the rear sway bar. The obstacle was the oft mentioned lack of mounting brackets, for bushings, on the crossmember. This is a common problem on the base S models, including my 2005 ZX3.

The solution is:

Fabricate steel plates of .080 inch thickness or aluminum plates of .125 inch thickness. Dimensions are 4 inches by 1.5 inches with two holes of .400 inch diameter. The holes are 3.125 inches apart and centered up on the plates.

Fasteners are four 10 mm or .375 inch diameter hex head bolts of sufficient length to span the 1.5 inch thickness of the crossmember. Length of 2.5 inches should be fine. Extra length makes the job easier. You will need four locking nuts for the bolts. By the way, U bolts will not work.

First install the sway bar using the end-links as provided by Ford or, better yet, salvaged from a wrecked Focus. The bar will be very nicely presented to the crossmember, though not touching the crossmember. You may even drive the vehicle this way, of course the bar will not yet be functional.

The idea is that the crossmember is sandwiched by a plate on the front side and a plate on the rear side. No holes are to be drilled into the crossmember! The heads of the bolts are towards the front of the vehicle. The threaded ends of the bolts are sticking rearward and will straddle the crossmember and the floating sway bar.

Do the driver side first. At this time it will be obvious to you that the plate assembly will be inboard, a few inches, from the standard bushing bracket found on a sway bar equipped Focus. In fact, there is a small support on the crossmember that will locate your plates along the length of the bar. The plate assembly will be up against this handy structure.

Grease the rubber bushing and place it around the bar. Grease the inside of the factory bushing bracket and push it on far enough to pass the bolt ends through the clearance holes.

It helped to start the nut at the top of the bushing bracket first, then push the bracket over the rubber bushing, then engage the lower nut. Tighten evenly making certain that the rubber bushing is well placed in the bushing bracket.

The passenger side is last. Note, there is no handy locating structure to position the bushing along the length of the bar. Measure the distance of the driver side location from the drain holes on the bottom of the crossmember. Use this same distance to symmetrically place the passenger side plates, bolts, bushing, bracket and nuts.

The use of bendable flat plates on each side of the crossmember provides the double clamping friction against the crossmember and also helps space the bar from the surface of the crossmember. Take care not to interfere with the tailpipe mounts on the driver side or with the small hose on the passenger side. Use an open end wrench, on the bolt head, to clear the gas tank. Check for tightness after a few days. The car is now wonderfully balanced as all you SVTF drivers already know.

--------------------
2005 ZX3 Duratec 2.0 L

Post Extras:

Zoomer69
TEAM Member

Reged: 06/07/02
Loc: Lansing, MI

1 - 15 of 15 Posts