Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was having this voltage issue with my alternator for the last couple of weeks or so. Every once in a while it would drop to 12v while cruising then it would shoot back up to 14. This went on for days. It started getting to the point where I had to actually open the hood and wiggle the gray tower (it was a tiny bit loose) till the voltage would go back up. Last night it didn't go back up, and I drove home from work (approx 3 miles) with only battery power (thank you optima!!!).

Today I was hoping to get in there with a 10mm and tighten it right back up. Well, first of all, the nut holding the power wire to the tower was stripped inside somehow and it wouldn't come off. I got the tower off the alternator to check it out. It was melted quite thoroughly. I cut the wire going to the tower and replaced the whole tower with a piece of 4ga going directly to the battery with ring terminals on it's ends. Problem solved. No voltage fluctuations.

My question, finally, can I just leave the tower off the car? The new wire isn't in danger of touching any metal. Does this tower serve any purpose? I read it's resistance and I got .001, I think mili-ohms. Does anybody know why this thing is there in the first place? Can I just leave it out?

Preemptive thanks,
Nick

Here are some pics of the melted tower.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
TTT,
Does anyone know why this piece is there in the first place???

·
Registered
990 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. And I will be re-connecting the stock wire back up.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts