Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just wondering if anyone has done this?..was thinkin about it today for little things to do

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dw...so i'm guessing custom burned chip?..cause i'm thinkin of doing this

·
Registered
400 Posts
What benefits from removing the EGR? (other than getting the most ANNOYING tube out of your engine bay)

What's involved in doing it?

·
Registered
489 Posts
yes sir how DID you manage that?

Robert

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
I just made an aluminum plate that i bolted in place of the EGR to block the hole in the intake manifold, and i left the EGR end open.

When i blocked the end on the EGR i got a CEL cause it was not allowing air to pass thru. leaving it open, the computer see's air passing thru, thinking its doing its job. the EGR gasses just go in to the atmosphere.

And i make a plate for those interested.

I have been working on this for months, but now have it perfected, i believe, as i have no cel

the cel that i did get while testing was, EGR not enough air flow, or something like that but nothing that was going to hinder performance or anything. but now i have not had a cel in 1 1/2 months.

Also a little tidbit on making more FREE HP

The PVC line comming out of the front of the block, goes into the intake manifold. I installed a breather filter on it, at the block and blocked off the line that goes to the intake manifold, and this dynoed 3WHP. JFYI

Chris

[ 12-06-2002, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: CTZX3 ]

·
Registered
406 Posts
Originally posted by CTZX3:
I just made an aluminum plate that i bolted in place of the EGR to block the hole in the intake manifold, and i left the EGR end open.

When i blocked the end on the EGR i got a CEL cause it was not allowing air to pass thru. leaving it open, the computer see's air passing thru, thinking its doing its job. the EGR gasses just go in to the atmosphere.

I have been working on this for months, but now have it perfected, i believe, as i have no cel

the cel that i did get while testing was, EGR not enough air flow, or something like that but nothing that was going to hinder performance or anything. but now i have not had a cel in 1 1/2 months.

The PVC line comming out of the front of the block, goes into the intake manifold. I installed a breather filter on it, at the block and blocked off the line that goes to the intake manifold, and this dynoed 3WHP. JFYI

Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You are a good man Chris.

·
Registered
299 Posts

Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">how the hell do i not remember hearing about this before, 3hp for the cost of a ****ty little breather filter?

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
Originally posted by TigreTek:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by CTZX3:

Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">how the hell do i not remember hearing about this before, 3hp for the cost of a ****ty little breather filter?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">UM, caise i never told anyone!

·
Registered
3 Posts
A couple of things:

Removing the Positive Crankcase Ventilation (PCV) system's vacuum connection is NOT something I would recommend to anyone. The reason is that the PCV serves an important purpose: removing blow-by gasses that will ultimately lead to internal engine corrosion and sludge accumulation. Most engines I have worked with actually make MORE horsepower with the PCV system in tact!! The extra vacuum on the piston rings is a BENEFIT to performance.

The Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system shouldn't prove to be a Power-Killer either. Since a modern EGR setup is only metering exhaust gases back to the intake under light and medium load conditions, its effect on full-throttle power should be non-existant. Your NOx emissions will also rise significantly without the EGR cooling down the combustion temperatures. YES, the EGR actually cools down the combustion temp with "hot" but more importantly, mostly INERT exhaust gases. Consequently, removing the EGR may actually result in mild detonation under medium throttle!

The only time eliminating the EGR ever made a hell of a difference to full throttle power was on the old small block chevy method of pulling the spent exhaust gases from the exhaust ports(in the head), then across the intake manifold under the carb! And, yes, on those old-ass setups, taking off the EGR heads and intake is worth some HP numbers, but not that much.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hmmm which path to choose? I love the FocalJet's different opinions and theories!

·
Registered
94 Posts

Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">You said above that you make one for anyone interested? Well im interested b/c i am getting the same race headers that are in that pic by specialty fabrications and i would not like to have a cel when i put them on. If you could either pm me or e-mail me at [email protected] i would like some more information.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Anyways, what was the easiest way to get to the egr portion on the intake manifold? What did u remove to get to it? And what is the biggest, notice in change w/out it?

Robert

1 - 15 of 15 Posts