Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will a spring compressor fit back there? also, where can you rent a spring compressor for the day? or two?

please help me out. planning on doing suspension this weekend.

thanks

·
Registered
510 Posts
Re: anyone got tips for getting the rear springs out on a hatchb

no spring compressor needed in the rear, put a floor jack under the spring seat then unbolt the swaybar and lower conrol arm. slowly lower the jack and the spring just falls out.
here are some instructions from ford racing, there are others out there too.
click

·
Registered
892 Posts

don't even mess with the lower control arm if you have an older (pre '04) model...

Just unbolt your rear shock at the bottom and take off the opposite swaybar bolt then use a big pry bar on top of the rotor and right above the axle...

have one guy push down on the pry bar and have a smaller pry to get the top of the spring out...

took my cousin and I about 15 minutes to do both rear springs

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

That sounds a little dangerous or you could break something

How did you get the springs back in doing it that way though??

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts

don't even mess with the lower control arm if you have an older (pre '04) model...

Just unbolt your rear shock at the bottom and take off the opposite swaybar bolt then use a big pry bar on top of the rotor and right above the axle...

have one guy push down on the pry bar and have a smaller pry to get the top of the spring out...

took my cousin and I about 15 minutes to do both rear springs
mmmm.... i'd recommend doing it the other way (with the jack under the LCA). this way sounds a little dangerous. remember, that spring's got a lot of energy stored in it. it's best to do it in a way where the spring is SLOWLY expanded to its natural height, which the LCA method does.

Mike

·
Registered
892 Posts

nah the rear springs have barely any tension on them once you unbolt the shock and pry to lower the control arm...

and you put them in exactly how you took them out, bottom in first, then the top!

The fronts, since they're coil over springs (coil spring over a strut) have a much more compressed nature, thus requiring spring compressors

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

That doesn't sound like it'd be good for bushings... I'll stick with the jack in the perch method... it only takes 20-30 minutes.

·
Registered
233 Posts

Go to www.steeda.com and look under tech and info. They have a complete installation with pictures. Good luck

·
9 and 3 Damnit! 9 AND 3!!!!!!!
9,347 Posts

i couldnt get the lca bolt out for i had no air tools for the rear so i used the spring compressor to do it and it worked fine. took some trial and error to get it so it was compressed enough to get the spring out then the new one in.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

I've done the spring install on a Focus like 5 times and only used hand tools (except for the spring install on the struts)

never had a problem

Air tools just make it faster

·
Registered
215 Posts

You know what isn't good for the bushings??? Trying to take out the LCA bolt if it's seized to the metal sleeve in the bushing. Yes, taking out this bolt sounds like the best method, but others have had problems with this as well. It was a MAJOR pita to grind out the bushing and bolt and then replace the entire arm. Not knocking your method, just wanted to warn others of what might be in store for them.

Sleeper- How'd you get a compressor around the rear springs? I tried a hand strut compressor and a spring compressor that goes through the axis of the spring. Neither would fit. I just bought a clamshell type compressor from Harbor Freight that will hopefully work.

·
Registered
889 Posts

Just like the 1st reply, its the easiest/safest way. Lift rear, Undo the sway bar link on both sides, then remove the lower control arm bolt that attaches to the spindle. The springs just fall out. This is a good way because its alot easier to align the spring on the perches and also makes it easier to install the foam isolator at the top of the spring.

·
Don't Call Me Gaga!
30,267 Posts

You know what isn't good for the bushings??? Trying to take out the LCA bolt if it's seized to the metal sleeve in the bushing.
I figure bolts are meant to be removed... if they are seized, then it was probably a necessary repair.
Just my $.01. So far I've done this to four CA cars (one with high miles), with success.

·
Registered
3 Posts

What did your spring compressor look like. The Ford shop manual says to do it with a compressor as well. My compressor wouldn't fit.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts