Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone out there with some spare time that could make me a little metal plate to block off the spot where the egr bolts to the intake manifold..

I want to take off the egr completely but would like a plate to block this off

anyone think they can make me one?
I'd be glad to pay you for your time

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've been thinking about disabiling my EGR. But I'm really confused about what the effects would be. What I've found so far is that the PCM (or ECU or EEC-V whatever) monitors the EGR flow via the DDFE sensor and the HEGO.
When it determines that the flow is not correct it codes the error, lights the MIL (CEL), and uses an alternate timing table to retard the timing.
It uses retarded timing to prevent ping (detonation) that might be caused by no EGR flow.
I've also read that an aftermarket chip can prevent the MIL (CEL) caused by no EGR. But, my question is what happens to the timing table?

I also read that the new EGR systems required under the OBD II standard are very efficient and may actually give better performance than without it.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I thought that you might have some of the answers to these questions since you're blocking yours off.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Originally posted by Blue01Street:
I've been thinking about disabiling my EGR. But I'm really confused about what the effects would be. What I've found so far is that the PCM (or ECU or EEC-V whatever) monitors the EGR flow via the DDFE sensor and the HEGO.
When it determines that the flow is not correct it codes the error, lights the MIL (CEL), and uses an alternate timing table to retard the timing.
It uses retarded timing to prevent ping (detonation) that might be caused by no EGR flow.
I've also read that an aftermarket chip can prevent the MIL (CEL) caused by no EGR. But, my question is what happens to the timing table?

I also read that the new EGR systems required under the OBD II standard are very efficient and may actually give better performance than without it.

Sorry this doesn't answer your question, but I thought that you might have some of the answers to these questions since you're blocking yours off.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lets start out by saying I have no idea what I am talking about. ok, with the disclaimer out of the way...

I have had my egr system disabled (plugged up with a golf tee
) for quite awhile now. MIL lights been on the whole time... I haven't noticed anything bad about the car performance wise or in gas mileage...

Hm, come to think of it, it would be cool if that causes it to pull some timing... help prevent deto with my turbo! But, I don't buy it.

Also, the standard for the EGR system may be very efficient, but ours just sucks. Ford used some super cheap sensors, look around and see all the peoples who have gone bad... my car runs 1000% better without the EGR hooked up.

Just my personal experience and conjecture.

·
Car Czar of Death
4,784 Posts
mmm im thinking of making a plate too, guess i'll make a few of them this weekend.
Pm me if you are interested in one, prolly be about $6 shipped thru paypal, using 1/16th in aluminum.

[ 10-10-2002, 11:39 AM: Message edited by: CTZX3 ]

·
Registered
299 Posts
I'll make you one when I make mine this weekend. Putting on my SVT header this weekend (finally).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts