Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard that when you add other exhaust mods like the hi-flo cat and a header, the MBRP gets extremely loud and almost rice sounding. I like how the MBRP sounds with the stock cat and headers, but I won't buy it if it sounds crappy when you add other mods.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If he doesnt see this already, bmorezx3 could tell you all about that. Drop him a PM.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
My MBRP got real buzzy and annoying when I added a high flow cat and JBA headers. I had an extra resonator welded in which smoothed it out a lot. I eventually replaced the MBRP muffler with a Magnaflow unit and quieted it down some. Now I have the FC 4-2-1 on and it sounds so sweet-loud but so smooth. It's music to my ears running it through the gears. I now have an expensive custom system but it's all SS, sounds great, and should last "forever".
The MBRP is probably not the only exhaust system that will get louder or "ricey" when you change other exhaust system parts. Others can give you more info on how their exhaust responds to mods.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
the stock cat acts like a muffler. with a high flow (or worse an orp or race header) it almost sounds like you're running an open exhaust. i had many people ask if i even had mufflers on the car. at around 2500-3000 the drone was unbearable. i would get headaches from driving on the highway for any longer than a few minutes. both baconzx3 (mbrp/fc race header) and myself (mbrp/fc hfc) could be heard for well over a half mile away. i switched to the thermal system recently (thanks RallyRide) and it was a godsend.

Nate

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hows the thermal kit sound? I want something that is relatively quiet (without any other exhaust mods) with a deep low tone. Once exhaust components are replaced I realize it will get louder.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
I have MBRP w/ FC cat and stock header. Sounds good to me.
I'm sure a second resonator would quiet any sytem down.
I have a magnaflo from CFM to put in with my race header.

·
Registered
3,821 Posts
Hows the thermal kit sound? I want something that is relatively quiet (without any other exhaust mods) with a deep low tone. Once exhaust components are replaced I realize it will get louder.
the thermal is great. it's not loud persay, but it is very low. i'd describe it as "warm with a nice aggresive aftertaste."

Nate

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
go to my site, then go to the vids page. hit my latest drag video (6/03), the 2nd car is the mcnews project car. it runs a svt header straight back to a mbrp. a definite ear bleeder.

nate, fri nite the 17th, pville dude.

-Ult

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
"warm with a nice aggresive aftertaste."
You couldn't say it any better Nate. I loved that sound very much... I just wanted it about 15% louder. I bet it sound pretty good with your set up now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts