Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which Optima battery are you guys using? I know the Red Top is the most popular one. I kinda have my eye on the yellow top, but it says that it's a "deep cycle" battery. I'm not sure what that means. Would I be able to run my car's engine + ICE on a yellow top Optima?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I've got the red top, it's awesome. I had to relocate the ground strap to the fender rather than the stock location. There's a hole there already. The yellow is better for ICE because you can drain it all the way down and it'll still be full strength when you recharge it. My friend that has one, can run his stereo for about 30 mins without any problem, before the optima he'd drain it in about ten mins.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
But does the yellow top put out enough juice to start your car AND run your ICE? Right now, I'm still using the stock stereo, but I'll be upgrading to a 4ch amp and new head unit within the next few months. I'm trying to think ahead. I thought I saw a pic of someone running their car on a yellow top though. Anyone else know anything about this battery?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
look at jegs or summit or the optima website, they have waaaaay more cold cranking amps than the factory battery. I'd recommend them to anyone, I'd have probably not spent the money on one, since I don't do the ICE thing, butI got mine for free so I can't complain. haha. later doods

g

·
Registered
883 Posts
I have the red top but noticed no difference in anything at all. I guess it has better cold crank but I never had a problem with the stock battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts