Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
I'm gonna knock you out, Momma.
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't like a lot of paint going on on the interior, but I was thinking red cupholders to match my a/c vents and door handles would be nice. Has anyone here painted the cup holders? Do they make a special paint for the rubber like material the holders are made out of?

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
There were some blue cupholders on eBay the other day, so there must be some way of doing it.

·
I have wonderous butt cheeks
8,054 Posts
There is a way of doing it and quite a few people have.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
i bet krylon fusion paint would do the trick, never used it, but its supposed to bond directly to plastics without primering.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
That stuff is pretty good. Used it on other projects, not cupholders, though. I did find an old interior part that was trash and I painted it to see how it did. It was great, had to WORK to mess it up. Had to really dig my thumbnail into it before it did anything.

·
I'm gonna knock you out, Momma.
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There were some blue cupholders on eBay the other day, so there must be some way of doing it.
Yeah, I saw these, and was wanting to paint my red. I will try that Krylon Fusion paint and see how it works.

·
Registered
446 Posts
The older plastic cupholders can be painted w/ good results. Correct me if im wrong, but aren't the new cupholders rubber? If it is indeed rubber, than it can be painted, but it'll flake off.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
rubber is a polymer, like every other plasic, so fusion might have good results on it too.

·
That one was just me not paying attention....and s
7,509 Posts
alot of people are big fans of using model car paint, Its made for plastics and you can use it without primering.

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
rubber is a polymer, like every other plasic, so fusion might have good results on it too.
I doubt this. The paint will still have a tendency to dry into a brittle state. When rubber flexes, that paint'll chip off (eventually). If you added a flex agent maybe...

Just my too sents.

·
Registered
29 Posts
yea i have painted mine i used krylon fusion and then i used the dupicolor vinyl and fabric paint just paint it and then let it dry and paint it and let it dry itll take like 3 days to do it just spray the hell out of it and then on the 3rd day put some clear coat over it and yea let it dry and then youll be done i bet you can only have to paint it one coat if you get an adhesion promoter cuz yea im not very impressed with the krylon fusion stuff

·
Registered
123 Posts
I was actually thinking of painting mine last weekend but wasnt sure how long it would last and as far as them being flexable mine are actually hard plastic I guess it depends on the model. I would leave the bottom original cause all the cups in and out will surely chip the hell out of it

·
Mr Know-It-All
11,241 Posts
Depending on the year of the car, some are very hard plastic. I got a center console from a 2001 Focus to delete the center armrest and it has the plastic cupholders whereas my original '03 cupholders were like yours. They changed the design of the console where the cupholders sit, so the two are not interchangable btw.

>8^)
ER

1 - 17 of 17 Posts