Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone read the latest Consumer Reports Mag about HID\'s??

Consumer Reports States: We also found HID Lights on the AudiTT and halogen lights on the Chrysler Sebring and the Pontiac Grand Prix unimpressive. When Consumer Reports did a test on the Audi TT to see how far forward that the lights can be seen or projected: Audi TT could only muster 200ft. Apparently NHTSA is going do something in the way of being able to have the US Automakers change the HID's and to see if the US Automakers can adopt the Euro HID that has the ability to adjust it'self. Just thought I would share. Check out Consumer Reports that has a pic of the Yellow Mazda 6 on the front cover. 2003 cars, pricelist and crash testing.

Here is some more info. on the subject:

HID Lights

[ 04-14-2003, 06:12 PM: Message edited by: zetecinside ]

·
Registered
759 Posts
Re: Anyone read the latest Consumer Reports Mag about HID\'s??

I have to agree with alot but not all that they said

I am very happy with the out put of the HID's on the focus but many US HID's suck, like those found on nissans, on the Nissans the cut off os flat not up to the right and the light output dose not reach far at all, and then there are BMW's that have horrible amouts of glare, they are the only HID's that ever bother me

and then most Halogne lights suck too b/c of bad beam patterns, Nissan also lacks with these lamps

However newer Toyotas are very good as with more of the euro cars, b/c they have the sharp cutoff with the beam going up to the right

EDIT: I have a MACH ZTS and have never been flashed b/c of my headlights

also they say about 1% of new cars have HID's but in my area it's more like %10, it seems just about every tenth car has them

[ 04-14-2003, 06:00 PM: Message edited by: focalBlur ]

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

I don't have the MACH Headlights, but I do have the Silverstars and NO one to this day has flashed me because of them being bright.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

My Dad's G35 is like that aswell. The HID lights create a flood of light in front of the car, but it doesn't extend out very far. They act almost like fog lights, with no disernable beam.

·
Registered
972 Posts

The S2000 blind me from quite a distance.

~Steve

·
Registered
2,269 Posts

the s2000 beam pattern is simply bad ass. my dads 528i are pretty sweet as well. however my friend has the mach head lights and w/ the brights on they're just insane

·
Banned
3,562 Posts

I got flashed once with my 2002 Euros and eurolite bulbs...I like this pattern better than the stock ones.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts

The HIDs on my IS300 are pretty damn nice. Like said before me the beam doesnt go very far, but they are very nice, ALOT better thatn Halogen. The lights on the IS300 automatically level themselves too, so it assures they are always aimed properly.
When I had my Focus, I had the Mach HIDs on for a few months, and they were excellent as well. I prefer the lights on the Lexus better though.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts

I have a Mach and I've been flashed twice since last August.

If they think my regular headlights are bright, I just show them the REAL high beams.

·
Registered
222 Posts

hte brightness of the HID doesn't really matters.

what matters is the DIRECTION of it.

I really HATE those poeple with aftermarkets that aim in places where it shouldn't be aiming at.

·
Registered
759 Posts

Originally posted by Maxximtl:
My Dad's G35 is like that aswell. The HID lights create a flood of light in front of the car, but it doesn't extend out very far. They act almost like fog lights, with no disernable beam.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">liike i said all nissans have the bad straight cut off rather then the slante to the right cutoff

the flat one(it's the same with their halogen lights) sucks

and the S2000's lights are great they are like the focus lights with a great beam pattern, and i have never had a problem with them

1 - 11 of 11 Posts