Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
it is time for me to get a new clutch and I was interested in getting a new flywheel as well. I just wondering if anyone has anything to say about their light weight flywheel, and what are the pros? the cons?
thanks,

...tek

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
If you do a search you'll see this has been beated to death. But here's a reacap of what I have to say about my fidanza.

Pros:
-Engine revs quicker
-quicker acceleration in 1st and 2nd gear
-engine braking is easier (woohoo! i love downshifting)

Cons:
-launching your car is harder (not in everyday driving, I meant more in terms or dragstrip launching)
-keeping your revs up is harder

You'll find that most people complain about it being too light and whatever for racing. ppppfffffft to that.

Its not like I spend days on end at the track anyway. Track use of my car accounted for 2/365 of total use this year. In those 2 days I only made some 16 runs so 16 runs times the 15 second slips is 240 seconds.

240 seconds on 2 track days/31536000 seconds in a year..... well whatever, you get the point.

Even for everyday use, its fine, its not like you totally have to relearn how to drive, its a little different, but nothing that cannot be overcome with a little practice.

The pros outweigh the cons, i believe.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by Carizme:

You'll find that most people complain about it being too light and whatever for racing. ppppfffffft to that.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">i don't understand.... doesn't it drastically reduce rotating mass, thus faster and easier to spin?

....tek

·
Registered
299 Posts
teh revs supposedly drop that fast...

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by TigreTek:
teh revs supposedly drop that fast...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">wouldn't that be a matter of how one shifts?

....tek

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
they drop quick, but not like a motorcycle.

Yeah revs will drop with a stock flywheel if you shift slow.

Same with the teh flywheel, but a little more pronounced.

If you shift at a normal pace, you should not encounter a problem. But say, you shift and you do it slow, well yeah, then YOU have a problem, not the flywheel.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
in another post i read that focussport got quicker times with a light flywheel than with a stock. and the physics of it all paint a nice picture. any news on the sean hyland flywheel( www.seanhylandfocus.com )???
thanks!!!

...tek

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Keep in mind, the guy driving the FS car is a seasoned driver. Something not most of us are. (see my 1st post)

SH flywheels, i have no clue. I dont know anyone using that flywheel.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I got an email from SHM today, their flywheels are backlogged 2 months, they haven't seen one in that long... supplier problem. I'm gonna be getting notified when they are available, hopefully soon, I also want to install a light-wieght flywheel at clutch time. Their new traction bar system for the Focus (No-Hop bars), are also supposed to be available in the spring time, with no prices yet.

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
I got one

Its weird. When i was NA, it didnt help at all at the track, but on the street it felt more pepy, more alive especially in the firstr 2 gears, BUT the shifts suffered,the car didnt feel like it had the push when shifting, just sort of dies off, hard to even chirp 2nd gear.

NOW with boost, it doesnt make any difference on shifts because i have 250ft.lb of torque to pull it through, so now i am happy with it, because it still revs faster and goes through the gears faster, so for turbos i definetly recommend it, for NA, its your choice, but now you now the pros and cons

·
Registered
8,272 Posts
Originally posted by DWRacing:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">we are novices when its comes to drag racing..
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey Randy, any time you want someone to whip on one of your cars, I'm available!

Dennis Wingfield
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">and when you're done, let me whoop your car

[ 12-06-2002, 02:53 PM: Message edited by: nazthug ]

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by nazthug:
now you now the pros and cons
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">indeed i do, it seems the pros outweigh the cons, and thus i have been persuaded. thanks,
....tek

·
Registered
24,330 Posts
Originally posted by Carizme:
Keep in mind, the guy driving the FS car is a seasoned driver. Something not most of us are. (see my 1st post)

SH flywheels, i have no clue. I dont know anyone using that flywheel.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hey not trying to be a smart ass here, but we are novices when its comes to drag racing. We're mainly into road course racing.

·
Registered
406 Posts
From what I hear, all of the aftermarket flywheels are made by fidanza. This of course is an exception to the FC flywheel wich I woould personally get with their clutch package. I have the FS with only one complaint: It's really hard to chirp the tires going into second gear. This is not really a problem for me though because I use to do it way too easily.

enough with the rambling...

·
Registered
12,749 Posts
All flywheels are fidanza???? Wow, I wonder why the one I have has the "FocusSport" name on it?
(just playin with ya).

Tons of people make light-weight flywheels. NOt all make one for the focus. Unorthodox Racing, Clutchmasters, Fidanza, Focus Sport etc..

Just to make sure ya know... Focus Central ran BETTER times with their flywheel and clutch package!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts