Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone, my focus AC compressor seemed to be seized if turned on (ie, Car runs fine, but using Defogger or AC will put the engine to stop).
It seems like simply running a shorter belt will hit the water pump (5) and an additional pulley is needed (or convert the AC compressor into a pulley).

Organism Font Tire Circle Wheel

I search high and low, and it seems like @Masonu69 had figured out a perfect solution (see below)?
  • Any one tried this?
  • What belt length is need?
  • Doing so reduced the length of the belt driven/wrapped by crankshaft pully(4) and water pump(5), any possible harm?

Thanks

Font Auto part Circle Parallel Drawing

·
I
13,460 Posts
The issue with the changed belt routing you have shown there is the water pump will spin backwards. You would need to get a reverse rotation pump (maybe some RWD applications have one available) so coolant flows the correct way.

I'd rather go with the idler pulley, simpler and more "OEM".

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The issue with the changed belt routing you have shown there is the water pump will spin backwards. You would need to get a reverse rotation pump (maybe some RWD applications have one available) so coolant flows the correct way.

omg, you are right...water pump is now backwards...btw, do you know what will cause a Car to run fine, but using Defogger or AC will put the engine to stop?

·
Registered
32 Posts

That routing will NOT change the rotation of the water pump.
Without the additional load of the A/C compressor, the reduced wrap on the crank and alternator pulleys will likely pose no problems. I suspect the same will be the case with the water pump.

That said, if the issue is the A/C compressor stalling the car, just unplug the connector at the A/C clutch, so it will never engage.
Personally, I'd flush the system and replace the compressor, condenser and drier, but I like my A/C. LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That routing will NOT change the rotation of the water pump.
That said, if the issue is the A/C compressor stalling the car, just unplug the connector at the A/C clutch, so it will never engage.
1. Odd, I run the arrows again, it seems like you are right. This outing will NOT change the rotation of the water pump.(Not sure what happen last time I did this😂)
2. This is what I did for now, I unplugged connector at the A/C clutch. I also applied 12v at the connector, and the clutch didn't move. So I don't see why when I turn on the Defogger or AC the engine will stop. (Nothing suppose to happen or no???)
Do you think this is a simple clutch/coil issue or it is my compressor?

Product Line Art Font Painting

·
Registered
32 Posts
1. Odd, I run the arrows again, it seems like you are right. This outing will NOT change the rotation of the water pump.(Not sure what happen last time I did this😂)
2. This is what I did for now, I unplugged connector at the A/C clutch. I also applied 12v at the connector, and the clutch didn't move. So I don't see why when I turn on the Defogger or AC the engine will stop. (Nothing suppose to happen or no???)
Do you think this is a simple clutch/coil issue or it is my compressor?

View attachment 7759
Does it still stall with the connector unplugged?
If not, than it's likely the compressor locked up.
If so, there may be another electrical problem.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts