Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My manicurist says I have low self esteem...
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I am trying to decide between the AEM CAI or the Injen CAI. I can't seem to find hardly anyone with the Injen CAI though. If anyone has one please let me know how you like it.

Also will the FS strut tower brace work with the AEM CAI or the Injen CAI because I know some intakes won't work with some strut tower braces. Thanks in advance.

Mark

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got one!!!!

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
My manicurist says I have low self esteem...
3,014 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the pics man. Have you had any trouble with it? How does it perform and sound?

I am REALLY having a hard time deciding between the AEM and Injen CAIs.

Also will they work with a Focus Sport Strut tower brace??

Mark

·
Registered
729 Posts
The yellow bar there is a strut tower bar from FS and theres about 2 inches space. Performance is awesome, sound is great. You get very free flow with 3 in. diameter. Also, its nice and chromed out.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong, but the new injen has different look right ? It's sort of short-ram style with air box.

=dRe=

·
Registered
729 Posts
you are correct. I believe they began making the short ram "airbox type" cold air because of the others (focus sport, ice man...etc.) and their popularity. The problem with those is that after a while of driving on a hot day, the heat shield is hot too and its not really a cold air intake anymore. Where as mine is getting the coolest air possible 100% of the time.

·
Registered
143 Posts
i have 0 complaint about my AEM CAI, and it does work with FS and FC strut bars, no rubbage, gotta love the throaty rumble it makes up to 5k, then the screamin' up to 7k, gl choosin'

·
Registered
372 Posts
this is an injen gen iii unit. the so-called short-ram-airbox.

So far, power is great. nice on the torque curve and produces an honest 2.3 hp to the wheels (hood closed during dyno test). I have that black one for sale. if you're interested in this style, let me know. PM me.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hey DGTL TOYS, am I correct about the intake air becoming excessively hot after a while with the air box short ram? This is what I have been told by many performance enthusiasts and also from my own perspective.

·
Registered
372 Posts
kinda sorta. i mean, don't get me wrong, metal does get hot. but what injen and i have learned and researched was that the intakes that travel down near the tranny and radiator aren't really sucking up cool air. now you have to bear in mind the location of things in that engine bay. paul ho, designer and R&D technician at Injen, designed that airbox intake to take advantage of the stock system's already impressive ability. with the stock airbox, air temperature really wasn't changing all that much whereas with the cold air system being exposed to radiator and tranny heat, the air was losing density. therefore, as the air got to the throttle body, it wasn't much of a cold air charge going in. so Paul decided to make an airbox variation of the intake using the short ram principle combined with the heat shield. with all factors in mind, paul was able to come up with a design similar to the stock airbox. within that airbox, is the infamous conical filter. when it came down to dyno, the airbox produced a consistent gain across the powerband, while the cold air pipe dropped a little bit due to heat.

however, i won't sit here to sway decisions. as they say, to each their own. but before you go off on your own, homework is key in finding out what goes best. take the time to research, and you'll love the results in the end. BTW, nice engine!! really like the yellow accents.

·
Registered
729 Posts
thanks for the info... and the yellow accents aren't accents...the car's yellow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts