Ford Focus Forum banner

Anyone want to see the difference between 10.5:1 and 9:1 pistons? (pics)

3K views 34 replies 15 participants last post by  Tobyboom 
#1 ·
SCROLL DOWN FOR PICS

Just thought I would share some pictures of the new pistons I got. And compare them to EconorocketZX3's. I have the JE 10.5:1 and he has the JE 9:1. I couldnt believe the size of the valve releifs on mine. Also learned that shiny things dont like the flash.

[ 07-06-2002: Message edited by: Tobyboom ]</p>

#2 ·
hey tobyboom, what does your focus look like. i live in arlington, and if i see you around later on, i'll stop and say hey. i've got a dirt kona with 17" gun metal gray 5 star rims with subtle drop. just curious to know and see first hand your car and the engine. later, mp

#4 ·
They don't look similar at all. Crazy stuff man. Glad to see you're getting that motor together so quick. Hopefully I will be right behind you.

#7 ·
So has tobyboom or econrocket tried to take their stock pistons out yet?
I got the head off my car, and the oil pan off too, i was told by one of turbotoms boys that i need to "knock them out with a piece of metal from the botom". I can see them, but what bolts do i need to undo? Man it sucks being poor and trying to do all this myself. I am planing on going with higher compression also, I got my turbo kit for sale in the buy sell now!

#8 ·
I dont know why some people are getting the RED X's and some arent. AOL SUCKS!!!!!! But yeah I have taken the pistons out. You just have to take off the rod bolts and beat the piston out through the top. Kind of a pain in the ass, but you'll figure it out.

#9 ·
1LFOCUS the pistons are conected to the conecting rods which have 2 bolts or nuts that hold the end cap around the crank. Take the nuts off and then take the cap off, you may have to hit the cap a little TO SEPERATE IT, USE WOOD ONLY NOT ANYTHING MADE OUT OF METAL. Once the cap is seperated put some rubber hoses over the rod bolts so they don't nick the crank. Dont mix up the rod caps, keep them with the rod you took them off of. I would also be a good idea to number the rods & caps. To take out the pistons use a piece of wood or plastic DO NOT USE ANYTHING METAL and place it by the rist pin & lightly bang it out, make sure you catch the piston before it falls.
Have fun.

#10 ·
Thanks for the help. I still need to order my pistons but the top half of the engine is sitting in the garage floor. The best deal i have gotten on the the pistons rods and rings is a little over 800(local so no shipping). Is there anything i could do to the head while i wait for the new pistons to come in...
and i also have a turbo for sale in the buy/sell forum on this board.
thanks again, and i hope i dont fu ck it up.
mike

#13 ·
It is gonna be mean when it is running, hey Justin did you change out the main caps and the crank also???

And I went to the all time low and got a Nitrous Kit..

#14 ·
25000 miles on the engine as of now... I didnt know if i could do anything not so expensive to it that will help in performance and longevity. Thanks for the help and sorry for stealing the thread!

#16 ·
I gave up trying to let AOL host those. So if the damn link doesnt work, I'll send them to someone to host them for me.

#18 ·
Here they are

high comp.(left) low comp.(right)

top of high comp.

top of low comp.

and the rod....

#19 ·
TonyBoom and EconorocketZX3 who is doing or did your install of the pistons and a cost? I'm thinking of going this way. As you can see in my mods that i have already raised my compression with the Gude head package. What is stock compression anyways? Bill Gude tells me that with the head on here i'm sitting at 10.998 to 1 and with the addition of the 10.5:1 where will i be sitting at on compression ratio and do you know if i can run this high of comp. on pumpgas?

#21 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Russell:
TonyBoom and EconorocketZX3 who is doing or did your install of the pistons and a cost? I'm thinking of going this way. As you can see in my mods that i have already raised my compression with the Gude head package. What is stock compression anyways? Bill Gude tells me that with the head on here i'm sitting at 10.998 to 1 and with the addition of the 10.5:1 where will i be sitting at on compression ratio and do you know if i can run this high of comp. on pumpgas?<hr></blockquote>

If I am not mistaken....the Gude head is stock compression....stock head but ported and polished.
unless they sent you a thinner head gasket, the compression should be same as stock.

#22 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by YelloZX3SA:

If I am not mistaken....the Gude head is stock compression....stock head but ported and polished.
unless they sent you a thinner head gasket, the compression should be same as stock.
<hr></blockquote>

quote from the information on the gude headpackage.
"3. Head surface is milled then hand lapped to create a multi directional #32 micro Finish surface, this leaving hundreds of micro ridges to be crushed down by the steel gasket forming a super micro barrier for better gasket sealing"

I put in bold where it says so, and on the phone when i bought it i was told it changes the comp. ratio to 10.998, which the would account for one of the reasons for having to run higer octane.

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: Russell ]</p>

#23 ·
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Russell:

I put in bold where it says so, and on the phone when i bought it i was told it changes the comp. ratio to 10.998,
<hr></blockquote>

dont bet too much money on what bill says to you... "and that is from personal exp."
Nice 1/4 mi time... you are getting a quick time for the mph that you are running... good driving.

[ 07-05-2002: Message edited by: ILfocus ]</p>

#24 ·
The installation of everything is being done by myself and my room mate. The machine work is the only thing that is going to be costly. And I dont think that its possible to raise compression to 10.998 with just milling of the head. There is no way the valves would clear the piston.

#25 ·
What is the biggest piston you can put into the car with out hitting the valves.
And before you answer that what if i were to throw some stage 2 cams in there.
Can i get 10.5 to 1 pistons with stage 2 cams with no problems?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.