Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a ZX3 and want to install a crank pulley. The only hesitation I have is that my lights already flicker at idle. I was wondering if this is normal because my car has done it from day one?

I also have an amp and sub in my car and when I crank it up at idle my RPM's will actually drop a little. Is a UDP going to make it worse? Is there anything wrong with my electrical system?

thanks guys/gals

·
Inheritly Sinister
12,926 Posts
Well, I have an Esslinger, and while mine didn't really flicker before, they only subtlely flicker now. You have to be paying attention to notice it.

As for the sound, it could a little. Do a search in the ICE forum. Its been asked there before. I'm pretty sure if it was a problem, a cap could solve it.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
You should be fine. Question what gauge cable are you running for the power wire to the amp? I added a cap and a red top battery when I installed my UDP, just to be safe.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Originally posted by rallyfocus:
It's only a rockford 300s amp running a 10" He2 Sub . I'm pretty sure it's 8 guage wire. I'm thinking about getting a cap just to be safe and maybe putting a larger ground wire on my battery.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">if ya do that you've most definately got nothing to worry about

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
As in most UDP threads, I must ask, What does it MATTER if your lights dim a tad at idle?"
How far DO You need to see if you're standing still?

·
Registered
99 Posts
good point Michael... I have the AFX and the lights dim when you are at idle and they flicker ever so slightly when I have the sounds cranked.
The AFX is not necessarily the lightest (by like .2 oz) but I think it does have the most underdrive of any of the pulleys out there..

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm just worried about shortening the life of my alternator. I'm not really worried about the flicker at idle...I still have alot of warranty on my car and I'm getting tired of changing things back to stock whenever I take my car to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.In the future keep your sarcastic comments where they belong...In your head.

I never said I was concerned about flickering. I was simply asking a question.

·
Registered
402 Posts
OK.. my background in UDP and Auto electric. In most cases when you put a bigger tax on you electrical system (like big stereo systems) you usually want to get higher output alternator. Or check your voltage regulator. The UDP question. it didnt effect my electical at all. but then again i put a high output on the car. My experience with electrics. My father runs and owns an auto electric shop. I work there on occasion.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i'd find that my lights would flicker a little when idling before i ever had a UDP, but only when i'd cranked up the A/C or defrost.

now i've got the AFX UDP on, i do notice a subtle dimming when idling, but it's not too noticeable.

these days, when i have A/C or defrost on, my revs (when idling) are a tick higher too, but again, it's a subtle increase, and i think if i had a stock exhaust i'd probably not notice it, but it's a little more apparent since i put on a focussport catback because of the louder tone.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
Originally posted by rallyfocus:
I'm just worried about shortening the life of my alternator. I'm not really worried about the flicker at idle...I still have alot of warranty on my car and I'm getting tired of changing things back to stock whenever I take my car to the dealer.

Thanks for your help.In the future keep your sarcastic comments where they belong...In your head.

I never said I was concerned about flickering. I was simply asking a question.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Two things.
First, I really don't believe you will harm your Alternator in any way.
Second, If your reference about sarcastic comments was pointed at me, I apologize if you felt offended, but I was NOT trying to be sarcastic, just pointing out something that alot of folks don't consider. I didn't mean it as a joke, or as criticism. I was simply pointing out that slight flicker at idle is not a problem.
Once again, Sorry if It came off wrong.

·
Registered
799 Posts
actually, i had lots of dimming problems when I had the stock crank pulley, but after i installed the afx udp, there all of the dimming went away! I am not sure if it will harm your alternator or not though, so you might want to ask a professional mechanic.

I hoped that helped, and did not sound like a dick or anything.

[ 12-14-2002, 09:50 PM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts