Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
694 Posts
You may laugh because it's 'only' APC but it's really a blow to the aftermarket industry. Now people are going to be much more gun shy about suplying euro parts and others that are known not to meet US standards for fear of getting very heavily fined. It's one thing if you get a slap on the wrist for bringing over a carton of ST-170 lights. It's another if they fine you 100K for selling them.
This is not a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I am a victim of APC workmanship, I am one of the people that had the leaking sidelights, and friend of mine had the apc carbon fiber hood, looked like a class "c" and didn't even come close to fitting. Some of you like the company, and that is cool, but for myself
They are way too commmercial, and there are plenty of aftermarket parts of better quality out there. Just my 2c
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by familyman:
You may laugh because it's 'only' APC but it's really a blow to the aftermarket industry. Now people are going to be much more gun shy about suplying euro parts and others that are known not to meet US standards for fear of getting very heavily fined. It's one thing if you get a slap on the wrist for bringing over a carton of ST-170 lights. It's another if they fine you 100K for selling them.
This is not a good thing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">as much as i hate APC, i have to agree. this is definitely a step in the wrong direction for those of us that like buying parts that might not totally comply with US standards. this is one of those "this is only the beginning" things if you stand by and laugh because it's a ****ty company. wait until we all have laws like VA when it comes to modding a car. you can't do a damn thing to your car down there, NOTHING! not that it stops anyone, but you will most likely get pulled over and fined and that just sucks.

keep supporting SEMA.

Nate
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,821 Posts
Originally posted by 1BadEgg:
I guess I am a victim of APC workmanship, I am one of the people that had the leaking sidelights, and friend of mine had the apc carbon fiber hood, looked like a class "c" and didn't even come close to fitting. Some of you like the company, and that is cool, but for myself
They are way too commmercial, and there are plenty of aftermarket parts of better quality out there. Just my 2c
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">but the decision wasn't over the quality of their products so much as it was selling parts that don't comply with DOT standards.

[ 05-20-2003, 09:07 AM: Message edited by: Bmorezx3 ]
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Bmorezx3:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by familyman:
You may laugh because it's 'only' APC but it's really a blow to the aftermarket industry. Now people are going to be much more gun shy about suplying euro parts and others that are known not to meet US standards for fear of getting very heavily fined. It's one thing if you get a slap on the wrist for bringing over a carton of ST-170 lights. It's another if they fine you 100K for selling them.
This is not a good thing.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">as much as i hate APC, i have to agree. this is definitely a step in the wrong direction for those of us that like buying parts that might not totally comply with US standards. this is one of those "this is only the beginning" things if you stand by and laugh because it's a ****ty company. wait until we all have laws like VA when it comes to modding a car. you can't do a damn thing to your car down there, NOTHING! not that it stops anyone, but you will most likely get pulled over and fined and that just sucks.

keep supporting SEMA.

Nate
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I agree with you on that note, goodness knows that there are a lot of things on my ride that do not "comply" Above was a knee jerk reaction to a company that I am not fond of. Didn't think of the other reprecussions it will bring. That is why I like you guys, set me strait (sometimes)
I am dreading the day 2F2F comes out, the police will be on us level headed folks like flys on S*** APC is making a ton of money on that flick.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
Originally posted by Oofast focusoO:
apc does make some good products. their tailights suck though.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">did I read the first half of that correctly...?!?

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,969 Posts
In that is said some of the parts included clear corner lenses. Arent those legel as long as you have the amber bulb in it? If they sold something and people put clear bulbs thats not apc's fault. This is bas especially since this is an american based company. The goverments always looking for money. You may see other companies follow. You figure if one got hit there gonna be after more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
I thought turn signals can be amber OR white? I know they can be two different types of colors(not at the same time) and still fall within regs. Am I wrong on that?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,774 Posts
APC is getting nailed because these lamps don't pass DOT regualtions for lighting in the US. They aren't punishing them because people change the color of the bulbs after they are purchased, or modifiying them otherwise.

DOT & FMVSS regulations are very strict and it costs a lot to get a lamp to pass these regs. APC just wanted to get a cheap lamp out to the public and now it's getting back to them. DOT regs are there for our saftey. If APC took the time, they could pass the regs. and have a lamp that is pretty close to what is out there now.

BTW, rear turn signals cannot be white. Amber and red are the only colors that turns can be. If they were white, they could be mistaken for a back-up lamp.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
You know this also means that those of us with bumpers that don't conform to DOT are in trouble as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,607 Posts
no DOT regulations on lights are for the ****ing idiots that cant see a car stopping in front of them and need all kinds of blinking lights in an assortment of colors to realize something is stopping in front of them
 

·
Driver > Car
Joined
·
23,988 Posts
Originally posted by SaTaNcLaUz:
no DOT regulations on lights are for the ****ing idiots that cant see a car stopping in front of them and need all kinds of blinking lights in an assortment of colors to realize something is stopping in front of them
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">have you seen some of the people on the road? they NEED that crap.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,269 Posts
Originally posted by CLK_ZX3:
I thought turn signals can be amber OR white? I know they can be two different types of colors(not at the same time) and still fall within regs. Am I wrong on that?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">yellow to amber glow in texas...i would imagine the other 49 states dont sway from this too much
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts
Well APC has put a sour taste in most of the aftermarket any way. They were probably making so much money they really weren't worrying about a slap on the wrist. Bad APC naughty boy go to your room with out dessert.

I would put more trust in the Euro manufacturers of parts and with TUV compliance parts then I would with in most of the US stuff anyway.Hell its not as if we have roads we can travel daily at 100 plus miles per hour like they do in Europe.
Not happy in saying this and I know will get flamed for it. But unfortunitely pride in workmanship in most things made in US but I say NOT ALL has really slid downward.

[ 05-21-2003, 10:13 AM: Message edited by: Zetec-S ]
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top