Ford Focus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in the Northeast and wanted to know if the reports of the FK kit being lower than advertised are true?? Also are there still issues with the Apex kit being to firm in the cold weather (I don't mind a firm ride but I don't want to knock out my eye teeth either)is there still problems with blowing shocks??? Thanks!!!

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
the apex is a firm ride in all weather.

i've not had any problems with it. two weeks ago i hit a rock (****ing construction
) and i tweaked a rim, knocked the car out of alignment, but the damper was fine. so, well, here's to good luck? (or bad?)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Come on guys and girls I know there are alot of you out there with either one of these kits. Looking for good as well as bad experiances with either one of these kits. Thanks!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I put the fk 35/40 kit on my svt focus and found that the kits advertised drop was not right. At stock ride height my svt sits 3/4" lower front and 1/2" lower in the rear than a stock regular focus. The fk kit dropped my front an additional 1" front and only 1/2" in the back. So for a regular focus it means the FK kit drops the car an 1.75" front and only 1" rear or 45/25 drop
. This gives the car an ass in the air look and also caused some slight rubbing on the front fender wells with stock 215/45 17 front tires. On the good side the ride was very good and the handling was much improved.

Because I did not like the drop I decided to change out the fk springs and got Apex springs instead. I installed the apex springs on fk dampers. Now my drop is 1/2" front and 1" rear or for a regular focus 1.25" front and 1.5" rear. Now I have the best of both worlds comfortable but firm ride and an even moderate drop.

If I were to do it a gain from scratch I would probably go with the Apex kit. I like the fk ride but the spring drop is to uneven front to back. I did not get the apex shocks/struts but I have heard some people say it can be very firm. The fk struts are a perfect compromise

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've got the Apex kit with the progress rear bar. The ride height is reasonable, I've only scraped the front bumper a couple of times. The ride is firm, though tolerable (think ford ranger). I don't have any experience with them in the cold yet. Handling is excellent, very controllable at the limit, well damped, etc. Occasionally I get a squeak from the rear, and a "groan" from the front. It may be a result of the installation or the side effects of a $400 suspension (you get what you pay for).

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
bleh, all this screams svt springs for me (well maybe next yr, almanac says worse winter than this yr, need ride height)

-Ult

1 - 6 of 6 Posts