Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
I'm the 'intellectual' here
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will start this off saying that nothing illegal was done in this story on my part:

I was on a road that turned into a 55mph highway last night on my way home. While sitting at the stoplight a dropped sedan pulls up next to me...I had the windows down. I looked at the car and it looked nice, so I gave a thumbs up to the driver. The light turned green and I started geting onto the freeway. I wasn't gunning it, but I had to go to the bathroom, so I was leaning into the gas pedal a bit. I got to 55mph and another stoplight ahead turned red so I started slowing down when the sedan flew by me. I got to the red light and the guy looks at me and says, "[email protected]! I shouldn't have raced you dude...what have you done to the engine?"

My first thought was, "We were racing?" I told him I didn't know we were racing, and told him that the 05's had a new engine in them that is a bit stronger stock. He was running a Zetec with an short ram and focus-sport exhaust, and couldn't believe I was bone stock, and not even gunning it to race.

He asked to try again against me, but I am not really (usually) a big fan of racing on the streets. I told him he should check out FocalJet.com, and he said he had heard of it and would check it out. The light turned green again and he took off like a bat out of hell.

Anyone else ever beat someone without knowing you were even in a race?

·
Ho, ho, ho... Green Giant
4,287 Posts
not exactly. i've pulled up next to guys at a light, and when it turns green i go. we get to the next light and they're all "dud, i totally kicked your ass" or something like that, at which point i have to explaing to them that i wasn't racing. it just sounded like i was bc my car is a crappy ATX and it takes that much effort just to get to reasonable speeds.

Mike

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not exactly. i've pulled up next to guys at a light, and when it turns green i go. we get to the next light and they're all "dud, i totally kicked your ass" or something like that, at which point i have to explaing to them that i wasn't racing. it just sounded like i was bc my car is a crappy ATX and it takes that much effort just to get to reasonable speeds.

Mike

·
Registered
631 Posts
No, but one time on the freeway I was driving in the middle lane and I could see a convertible red audi TT bobbing and weaving in and out of lanes. She thinks she's hot, on a cell phone not using a blinker. She ends up on my ass with no way to get around me, and she is right on my ass.

I have a diesel truck with timing issues, I think, anyway, I have massive amounts of car enveloping black smoke when I go wot, and being the person I am, I GO WOT ALL OVER HER PUNK ASS!

It was hillarious. She was waving her hands back and forth trying in vain to dissipate the smoke. After 30 seconds or so she finally gets around me slows up to my drivers side where she starts screaming.....I hold up my left arm and flex my bicept, look at it, then at her.

Life is good.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I can't street race, I feel too ghetto doing it...

PLUS I'm a HS teacher, and for all I know I could be racing some stupid HS kid, which would make me feel like a DB.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
been there done that...its annoying sometimes when people hear something done to ur car or something and they take it as:
"o man he has aftermarket parts...that means he wants to go fast...that means he wants to race me...that means he is fast and also pretty furious...go speed racer gO!"

love the movie, but it really left a chip on a lot of shoulders

haha its so funny im like this, its usually the older folks that hate that crap...hears to 21 on saturday

-chris

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
I don't race but I do accelarate as fast as my car will go right up to the posted speed limit. By this time any "racer" around me gets in the street racing mode and flies by me when I ease off the gas and cruise on down the road. On more than one occasion, cops see the ricer fly-by and pull over the "winner" of the race.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I don't race but I do accelarate as fast as my car will go right up to the posted speed limit. By this time any "racer" around me gets in the street racing mode and flies by me when I ease off the gas and cruise on down the road. On more than one occasion, cops see the ricer fly-by and pull over the "winner" of the race.
be easy with that tho, i have seen on two occasions, where all a car did was mash the gas at the light

no burn out, no screaching tires

and got pulled over for "initiating illegal dragging" or "instigating illegal activity"

especially at night

-chris

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something to the same effect happened to me a couple weeks ago. My friend and I were cruising home, he in is 04 ZX3, me in my 05. A fart canned Jetta started screwing around and we ignored it for a while. There was a place up the street that is notorious for being a speed trap. About 2 blocks before the usual squad car parking lot I dropped it in second and flew up right behind his bumper...he took the bait, downshifted and took off as I continued going the speed limit. Luckily there was a cop there that night and the Jetta flew right by him going about 60 mph in a 40 zone. I waived and smiled as I drove by.

I hold up my left arm and flex my bicept, look at it, then at her.
And she thought to herself, "Wow...a lonely lefty in a big truck!"

·
Not so Photo Master
6,625 Posts
I've beat someone without them knowing that they were in a race

·
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've beat someone without them knowing that they were in a race
[Dave Chappelle voice]"The light turned green and Chip took off. Weaving in and out of traffic all over the place...the other guy didn't even know he was racing!"[/Dave Chappelle voice]

·
Registered
7,109 Posts
Yes, in said mustang I get plenty of people saying they want to race me. I can't hear them over the supercharger whine.... Anyways people roll up and say they have 2-3-4XX hp. I don't have the heart to say I'm probably pushing over 600 at the engine... oh well.
-bix

·
Registered
803 Posts
[Dave Chappelle voice]"The light turned green and Chip took off. Weaving in and out of traffic all over the place...the other guy didn't even know he was racing!"[/Dave Chappelle voice]
"Killin' Me Softly", 1999

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
Me and a friend of mine got SR tickets (court appearance required) for accelerating from a street light. No tires squealing, no bouncing of of the rev limiters, no revving at the light. Nothing other than 2 modified cars that sound like they're going fast when they're not. I guess since we took off together and stayed together through acceleration we MUST have been racing.

We NEVER even reached the freaking speed limit before getting pulled over.

We have all the teeny wanna be racers to thank for making cops have a hair trigger.

·
Registered
268 Posts
be easy with that tho, i have seen on two occasions, where all a car did was mash the gas at the light

no burn out, no screaching tires

and got pulled over for "initiating illegal dragging" or "instigating illegal activity"

especially at night

-chris
i got a verbal warning for "improper take off" i was like WTF!? then he proceeded to tell me how much he liked my car.

·
Registered
8,101 Posts
The other day a '32 three-window coupe revved on me at a stoplight. The speed limit there is 55, so I figured I'd have some fun. He wasn't happy, 'cause I was glued to him all the way through 1st and 2nd.

Then today a diesel Dodge Ram tried the same thing. WTF?

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
"Killin' Me Softly", 1999
Best standup comedy show EVER! [chip]"I'm sorry officer...I ummm didn't know i couldn't do that"[/chip]

·
WRAWRRR, BEAR CLAW!
19,258 Posts
Just after the wagon got it's Cosworth, I was doing the usual -- R lane sneak (you CAN go straight there) to pass the trucks and slowpokes to be first in line for the fwy. (I just hate getting stuck behind slow people while getting on the freeway!). So I squirt out off the light, get in the turn lane, and some kid in a 3000GT takes it as an 'invitation' to race and cuts three people off just to get in the lane next to me (2 lanes to enter)

I'm like, whuteva.... so he just guns it off the light. I rowed through the gears, keeping my foot in it, and by 4k in third gear I looked over to see the astonished look on his face as I passed him. He caught up with me and gave me a thumbups up.

PHEER TEH DURATEC!!!

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I had a Greenwood cop rev on me at a light. I didn't take that invitation. As Mr. Miagi (SP) once said, "even if you win, you lose"

Jason

·
Registered
292 Posts
it's always funny to watch people blow up to a stop light next to me just cause i have exaust and some visual mod crap done, and them with their little dodge neon, with little "vtec type-r special edition mach-1 svt sir ss nos flowmaster turbo" emblems all over.. yelling out the window, redlining the tach, trying to do a showoff burnout and still think they can take off quick... then they stall out and back up traffic cause they kaplooey'd the motor showing off... then when you pass them from a calm normal speed (after provoking them at the light and not doing anything else of course
) they still say they're the best and they can't be beat... i just don't get it?? do you have to sign away your brains in order to become one of these "super duper cool" ricers??

1 - 20 of 29 Posts