Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put shorty headers on my focus... i have already installed a cat-back exhaust, intake, UDP, superchip (did all the work myself) and want to know if headers are direct replacement and hard to do. Please let me know.
Ross

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have never worked on a Focus, but I assume it would be like any other exaust part. Make sure to have replacement bolts, as exhaust studs/bolts like to break off. Also, if you have changed the cat back and those other things, I don't see why you couldn't change out the header.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
It would depend on the manufacturing quality of the header. I put a JBA shorty on mine way back. It was a very straight foward install.

Couple words of caution. Make sure the hard power steering line is move enough to allow adequate air space between it and the header tubes.

Apply antisieze to bolts (that will probably replace OEM studs) going into the block.

After install, let engine idle up to operating temp, then shut off and let cool completely. During this first heat cycle the gasket will be compressed a little. Once completely cool, retorque all the bolts.

I read this trick in an offroad magazine 20 years ago. Since I started doing this I have never blown a header gasket or ever had header bolts loosen up.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
straight forward? yeah.

pain the the patooshkie? definitely.

take the man's advice and make sure you've got the clearance for the power steering line. there are 2 LITTLE brackets that hold it in place - just loosen the bolts holding them in place and adjust as necessary, then re-tighten.

·
Banned
227 Posts
I've seen things that looks worst then things. Of course I have dont it yet, but if you look at it it's should be a piece of cake!

You want hard? Trying getting the front sway bar back on a 90ish Jimmy! Try taking the torsion bar out of a 90ish Jimmy! Try taking the rear shocks out of a 90ish Jimmy! God I hate that little POS! POS JIMMY! POS JIMMY!! I HAAAAAAAAAAATEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE GGGGGGGGGGGGGMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But anyways, make sure you TORQUE IT TO SPECS! I'm so sick of seeing kids with exhaust leaks because they cant afford a Torque Wrench.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Watch the bolts that go into the cat..

Everytime ive taken stuff off and on. Ones always bound to get stuck.

Also .. Id suggest taking the cat offa the flex, bolting the header to the head, then to the cat, then put the cat back onto the flex.

Shortcuts lead to leaks.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i helped my buddy install his pacesetter shorty header and it was a pain in the A$$. some of the bolts that are on the bottom of the flange are difficult to get to because pipes are in the way. It took us almost 4 and a half hours together to get the old one out and the new one in and have the car started. now i bought a race header and put it in my self and was done putting it in, in 3 hours and the car started.

hope this helps your decision
geoff

·
Registered
239 Posts
Yes I also installed the Pacesetter Exhaust and just a tip that I haven't seen is Get a set of Crow's feet from your local auto store!! It will save you alot of hassle of getting the Header bolted to the Cat! I believe it is a 15mm Crow Foot but don't take my work for it!! also replace gaskets because the Crush gasket doesnt always reseal.. But It wasnt to bad of an install!! only 343 Cuss words!It is worth the time to install!! anything are better than our Stock header!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts