Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up the ST170 lights from european-parts.net and when I look at them, there's a gap between the housing and the reflector in the passenger side headlight, and its moved over a half inch towards the center of the car so that the beams on that side are moved over and I have no highbeam light hitting on the right side of the road. Anybody else have this problem? I guess I'll take that one back out and try to fix it. Hey Indy, could you look at your other ones in stock and let me know if they're supposed to look like that? If not, I could send this one back if you have a replacement. The Driver's side is fine.

·
Driver > Car
23,988 Posts
my car is outside... i'll go look to try to understand what you are talking about, by my initial reaction is "no it is not supposed to look like that"

edit: does yours look like this?

·
Registered
10,752 Posts
Yea i have a set and i also think its probably not right. You'll want to contact Sascha directly through e-mail as that will be the fastest way to contact him. But it might also take him a lil while to respond to u since he's currently here in the States on Vaction in Sunny Miami Florida.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Sounds like you may have gotten the right-hand-drive version of these lights. Headlights are designed so they dont blind the drivers in the oncoming lanes. This means the driver side headlight is designed to shine the light down low and out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. There was a thread about this somewhere.

·
Banned
3,562 Posts
Sounds like you may have gotten the right-hand-drive version of these lights. Headlights are designed so they dont blind the drivers in the oncoming lanes. This means the driver side headlight is designed to shine the light down low and out of the eyes of oncoming drivers. There was a thread about this somewhere.
Sounds like a defective part or damage during shipping. If it was RHD, it would say on the sticker on the top of the lamp.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The sticker says left, so it must be a defective part? Well, I'll have to wait it out till Sascha gets back to his computer and see if he can swap me out another lamp.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just realized today when I went out, they don't adjust!! No matter how much I turn the damned things, they don't move, neither of them, left or right headlight! Sascha, I think I need a different pair. Only problem is that since I spliced the wire harnesses into my system, I won't have a drivable car if I send them back and wait for replacements.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
1. Your not suppost to splice your wiring
2. the ball socket may be loose inside the headlights, causing them to be out of alignment place. This method can be fixed without sending the headlights back.
3. if the ball socket is broken completely, you will have to send the headlights back for replacement.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine arrived with the white plastic balls completely out of the black sockets on both lights. They are a real b*tch to get back in. You need a J shaped pulling device to hook under the black socket to pull it up. With enough force, it will pop back around the white ball attached to the adjusting nut. It is easier if you first turn the adjusting nut so that the ball is as far in as possible.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Good luck getting these taken care of if they are broken. I recieved some in February that were broken in shipping and I am still waiting for reimbursement from Sascha. At this point, the US post office says it isn't thier problem it looks like the "Premium Delivery" I paid for didn't include international insurance..so there is $300 down the drain. I know at least 1 other person on here is having the exact same problem. I have offered to send them back on my own dime for a refund and I don't get an answer about that..

Hopefully this is a fixable issue for you, if not prepare to be highly disappointed with the customer service in Germany...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I was able to fix the gap/side ways problem, but I still can't adjust the height. Guess they'll be coming back out again Thursday. My low beams are aimed where my highs should be, and my highs, well, I hope an airplane doesn't try to land on me.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I am told that Batinc sells them, and I think they are in the US. I just wish I had a way to return my defective ones. I ordered a second set so technically I paid about $550 for a working set of ST170s.

At this point I am about to sell them on Ebay as is. They are appear to be repairable, but I don't have the skills or inclination to attempt it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Okay, I took the lights back out. The ball and socket are connected on the inside, and the threaded piece is in the hole it should be, so I don't know why they won't adjust. This is really starting to upset me. I can't drive the car at night because I can't see anything. I work at night, so I need the lights working properly. It doesn't look like anything involving the adjusters could have been broken durring shipping.

·
Registered
117 Posts
FocusSport sells ST170's now.......

1 - 20 of 22 Posts