Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I need any special tools for the passenger side tie-rod and A-arm replacement???

I am gonna fix my car this weekend and need to know asap

thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
there are special tools for the tie rod. i replaced mine with out it. with the a arm you will need new bolts. they are torque to yeild bolts.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
you dont need a specail too for the tie rod just a ford wrench or big vise grips lol

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
^^^ thats what i mean. there is a wrench but you dont need it. my neighbor grinded down a wrench he had so it would work. but by the time they had it grownd down i had the tie rod off.

for the a arm a buddy adn a few pry bars and you should be set

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
you dont need a specail too for the tie rod just a ford wrench or big vise grips lol
We used a bigol' pipe wrench on the round ball joint assembly, and gave it a swift kick. Then it was easy.

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just rented a Milwaukee Impact Wrench and still the A-arm bolts wont even budge!!

I soaked all the bolts with PB blaster so hopefully that will do the trick..

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
impact guns dont do good for breaking high torque bolts, just get yourself a good breaker bar and put your back into it

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got one A-arm bolt off by using a socket wrench and kicking it loose...

what pisses me off is that all the [censored] bolts are different sizes.. 5/8 3/4 and 11/16

not to mention I stripped the [censored] torx bolt that secures the ball joint to the hub..

I am about to just have it towed to a [censored] shop to have them do it....

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
buhahahahah karma lol

pimp take your car to a shop, your gonna kill yourself

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
na not u,
ice

·
Registered
5,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I already smacked my knee on the brake caliper today.. BAT INC sent me the wrong side A-arm anyway....

I am gonna call Bat monday and send them the PASSENGER side A-arm over night (which is want I originally wanted) and get the car towed yet again to a local shop..hand them the parts and say make it driveable..

if its not one thing its another

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
This is about two weeks old but i thought i'd just bummp real quick being that I'm in this situation right now...

How the hell did you guys get the ball joint off the knuckle? It may be just that I'm trying it by myself but I'm having the hardest time getting that thing off. I tried kicking it off but location is almost too narrow to give any real force. Also, I'm alittle worried because I got it off PARTIALLY but it's like the upper part of the ball joint, or the head of the ball joint is in between it's seating position in the knuckle. I don't know if that will make sense but if you know how the ball joint looks, I think you'll understand what I mean. Like it's not in it's correct seating location but it's not off either...

I can't seem to get any good position to yank the thing off! I have everything else off but the ball joint

Anyway, the metric sizes are 15/18/21.

Thanks for any helpful info you could give.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts