Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MAKE IT RAIN! ... is that like [email protected](3+/ a [email protected]" and @
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A double gauge pod or single, molded into a radio bezel where the coin tray is. I have a radio bezel sitting in my garage and some spare glass, and I need some extra money to pay off a very generous friend. Which would be more likely to sell, a single or double gauge pod in the radio bezel.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Which is more appealing.

I just picked up a bunch of 2" pvc pieces for like 89 cents total... ill position a couple of em on the bezel and see what they look like before i finalize my decision, but im thinking two gauges in there right now.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

definitely 2, and they'll sell pretty quick on here i think...been seeing a lot of em lately

yeh im doing the same...picking up fiberglass tomorrow, first time, should be a fun weekend craft...kinda excited

dont kno if im doing the bezel or something else...but i'll figure it out

-chris

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I decided to go with one, because two would take longer basically. The cutout for the coin tray and power port is two small for two gauges, so u have to cut closer to the radio opening and hvac positions, which I dont feel like doing now, maybe another time. Got the ring in place and one layer of glass so far. the glass portion might be done tonight.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Here's some progress pics... most if not all the glass work is done. I used 2" PVC piping, about an inch and a half deep, to form the ring for the gauge to sit in. I left it deep so that the gauge has support throughout, instead of just a ring to hold it at the front. Theres one layer of fiberglass CLOTH on the front, making for a smooth layer on top, and CHOP MAT on the back, about 3 layers of that, to make for a nice strong structure. OH, and FYI, the bezel was multi-colored when I got it... the previous owner had a run in with some bondo, we'll just call it his learning experience.lol. without further adieu...

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Still to come... body filler and primer. Stay tuned.

·
Registered
5,141 Posts

maj just to let u know there is a dash brace thats right behind there u will have to cut to get it to fit i have made too of these but anyway very nice work my friend

this is one i did 2 years ago my 1st FG job

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

maj just to let u know there is a dash brace thats right behind there u will have to cut to get it to fit i have made too of these but anyway very nice work my friend
yeah I saw that earlier. Oh well, not going in my car anyways. It might clear, who knows...

piece is filled and primed... gonna do a little bit of sanding before i go to bed then finish it off tomorrow.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

More progress pics. Filling is done, sanding is almost done. Everytime I spray a mist coat of primer I see some more tiny imperfections so I keep going back to the sander to start over. heres some new pics.

btw: I have this pretty much sold already to a jetter, who MIGHT also send me his Greddy Turbo Timer to mold a spot for it, so more progress might be underway soon.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts

nicely done...

Great job, I like seeing progress pics from you. ... as a novice fiberglasser It helps me learn some some...

Expect some projects from me in the not to distant future. =)

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

heh, thank you man, but im quite the novice myself.

·
Registered
990 Posts

Looks like mine.

·
7,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Which is more appealing. NEW PICS 8/24

Here some MORE progress pics... remember that blocthy, patchy, plastic thingy that was what I had at the beggining? Well, after a lot of sanding... priming... more sanding... more priming... and some SANDING... hows THIS for smooth

Here, you can see WHY I used the PVC piping instead of just angling rings... with the PVC pipe (which is a 2" coupler made for 1 1/2" pvc) is the length of the gauge, making the normal mountin bracket for the back of the gauge obsolete, making for much easier install/uninstall.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts