Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im puttin a pulley kit on and on the alternator pulley the bolt inside the nut you turn is spinning with the bolt, anyone have any pointers for me, or experienced this and what did you do...any help is greatly appreciated

·
You Can't Make Me Laugh
4,566 Posts
You need an impact wrench.
But he's right, its not really going to
make much of a difference.
I have one.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you are going to change the pully with out useing the impact wrench. or just change it for looks. there are two holes on the face of the alternator. these two holes you can place a center punch or philips skrew driver in. dont place it in the alternator fan !! it has to go in either hole. these holes are here for a hand brake if you dont have an impact. it will keep the alternator from turning. this is the method i use when working for my father at his alternator and starter shop.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Just to let you know dude , I tried the 2 hole method and the alternator housing broke into bits.Just thought Id let you know.

cory

·
Registered
402 Posts
i did this with my alternator DUDE. besides have you worked in the auto electric buis for dang near16 years, rebuilding alternators and starter? I used this method to replace my pully. worked just fine. sorry about you luck. DUDE..

·
Super Moderator
12,435 Posts
Honestly not worth the effort for the minimal gains that you get. I have my pulley sitting in a box in my closet.

·
Registered
375 Posts
it took me two hours to swap the crank and water pulley. it took me 8-9 hours just to change the alternator pulley... Unless you want the look, it's NOT worth it....

·
Registered
175 Posts
Use an impact wrench... Depending on where you live in Indiana, I live in the west suburbs of Chicago and you are certainly welcome to coming over to use my compressor/impact wrench. We can have it off in 10 seconds.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I had same issue getting the bolts loose, after a hour I just gave up, the alt. pulley just isn't worth it.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
What's funny is a lot of people give up on the alternator pulley when doing the 3 piece kit, and what's more ironic is that if you leave the alt. pulley stock, you're basically running with less gains than if you would have gotten a single AF/X Crank pulley.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts