Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a recent seizure problem and has doctors orders to not drive. However, she is a very determined lady and will drive if she wants to. She has her own house, she's 21, but is still on her parents insurance. beings she has a doctors order to not drive, if she were to get into an accident than whether the cause was her fault or not; it'd be her fault anyway to our insurance. My question is: is there any way to keep her from driving the car? i know something about the fuel cut-off switch in the lower passenger panel. will that keep the car from driving far? if not, is there any way to secretly stop her from driving? BTW - already took away her keys, but she has a spare and will not give to us. any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Oh. forgot to mention she has a 02 Focus Sedan

·
I change diapers now
14,444 Posts
Disable the clutch safety switch.

There is a button under the clutch pedal, when you start the car, it has to be pushed down(with the clutch being pushed in) to be able to start the car. If you break that, she won't be able to start the car. A new one is about $45 at the dealer if you break it and are not able to fix it.

Or, if she is not 'keen' when it comes to cars - Just pull the spark plugs wires off the coil-pack enough to not let it make contact - Not to noticeable. Won't drive like that!

Good luck, as she shouldn't be driving in her condition.

- Drew

[ 04-14-2003, 09:16 PM: Message edited by: focusownerskid ]

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
take the car to the dealer explane the situation and see if they will reprogram your keys for you for free. or look in the owners manual and see how to do it. and if you want the car permenatly disabled you can always just pull some important fuses or unplug the ecu

edit: is hard to drive with no wheels on the car

[ 04-14-2003, 08:56 PM: Message edited by: zx3 focus racer ]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think i'll do what you said focusownerskid about the spark plugs. she has an automatic so the clutch idea wouldn't work i don't guess. plus i wouldn't wanna risk breaking it. thanks. BTW - would you happen to know what happens if i pushed the fuel switch i was talking about??

To all others: please post if you know of any other ideas.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
also you can pull the cam sensor
or unplug the fuel pump stuff under the rear seat and carpet. that would be hard to find for an unknowing person

flood pertection edit: where the spark plug wires go on the side of the engine. there are 3 wires pluged in. push up on the metal clip on the bottem and pull out.

[ 04-14-2003, 09:03 PM: Message edited by: zx3 focus racer ]

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by Wedge1212:
pull the coil pack wires and tuck em outa sight and bada bing no starty start start
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Sorry for being car-illiterate (sp?) but what and where are those?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Sounds like a tough situation to be in...Steal her keys. Take her off the insurance. Have a serious talk to her with the rest of the family...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
where the spark plug wires go on the side of the engine. there are 3 wires pluged in. push up on the metal clip on the bottem and pull out.

·
Banned
17,312 Posts
I can't believe no one has mentioned it, but there are Several fuses you could pull.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
yeah, tell the po-po. Also, if she doesn't have another seizure for 6-12 months, depending on the neurologist, then she can drive again.

G

·
0 Posts
Steal the car and park it in some friend's garage until she is cleared by the Dr.

Or allow her to drive and call the cops....TUFF-LOVE.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Either pull all the fuses or do the fuel pump inertia switch. The switch is located in the passenger side kick panel. Pull the kick panel off(might be able to do it just by removing the small cover over the switch)and use a small screwdriver to lift the button up(that's how it works on my Mustang). The fuel pump won't turn on then.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Originally posted by TaCman2001:
Pull the fuel pump fuse located in the enging comparment fuse panel, it will not run and she will never think to check
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Better than my idea

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by BLOWNSTANG:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by TaCman2001:
Pull the fuel pump fuse located in the enging comparment fuse panel, it will not run and she will never think to check
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Better than my idea
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Perfect! Quick, Easy, and she'll never know! Thanks everyone. Now i know what i'll be doing midnight or so tonight...Breaking into my sisters car, man what is this world coming to?! Thanks again everyone

·
Registered
320 Posts
why don't you just pull the little chip that is under the steering wheel, this is a chip that won't allow you to start the car without it in, and she won't have a spare one, just put it somewhere and leave it out, no money no harm, just won't let the car start and very easy

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If its a Honda, disconnect the cable that grounds the engine. Its right there, and no one will even notice.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts