Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yo cuz whats the deal with the bored out stock TB?
im poor as hell and need to know how big i can go with it... i never even had my TB off and was wondering if you could help me out a bit.. gimme a little advice..... maybe?

thanx abunch

B

·
Registered
5,580 Posts
granted ur new, but if u wanted 2 hit me 4 tips, just PM me, change ur topic title 2 'need 2 port the TB' or somethin like that. 1st off, this is applicable 2 00 and 01 zetec foci, the 02 TB has been cleaned up a fair bit thus this isnt a worthy task of ur time.

essentially what u need is some epoxy and a dremel tool, or some other type of roto-tool that can spin bits of 1/8th in chuck. and some time. i believe some1 has pix on image station showing how 2 do it 1st hand. look at the TB, when u get it off (if urs is an 00 or 01), u'll notice an ugly lump on the backside of the intake hole. essentially skews what u think should b a circle. u may also have some nasty lookin 'ribs' positioned around the hole itself. u can buzz those away in a sec, make sure after u cut them away (not 2 deep now, just enuff 2 remove the rib itself), b sure 2 take a bit of some type of buffer or polishing wheel and buff those spots up a bit (leave this 4 when ur done the whole thing). anways, u have 2 lob some epoxy all over the backside of the TB nice and even. dont fret over the visual distaste, and dont b bashful, lob it on there good b/c some of it will b/c ur new surface area on the inside 'throat' portion of the TB. let it sit 4 however long ur epoxy states. sometimes overnite, but usually just a couple hrs. dont get any quickdry stuff (its hard 2 get sometimes, but its possible).

after its dried, u take ur dremel and gently and slowly remove that nasty bump out of the throat area, take ur time, not a spd contest, as u remove most of the bump away and move down 2 a finer bit 2 get a cleaner lookin surface, u'll notice the color change which is just the epoxy peeking thru. dont fret, this is correct. so after runnin ur fingers around the circle 2 the pt where u deem it 2 b a pretty solid shape, then buff it a lil smoother (doesnt have 2 b glass). double check ur work, and then presto. u've done a DIY mod.

good luck questions welcome,

-Ult

[ 12-02-2002, 10:43 PM: Message edited by: UltegraSTI ]

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I thought the 02 benefited from this too (the 03 having the better TB.)

I popped the tube off my '02 and looked down in the TB and it looked just like you described, with the oval shape and the fins.

I'm not trying to call you out on this or anything, it's just that I was looking foward to doing this mod this weekend and I'm gonna be bummed if there's no need.

·
Registered
362 Posts
yes, 02's are just as bad. one of my friends did it to his and it made a noticable difference in the airflow once you remove that big tumor on the inside of the tb.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Did mine over the weekend on my 02. Noticed a difference, especially with throttle response and smoother acceleration.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so i gotta hog out all that "extra"? should i make it perfectly round or just take off a little bit... and whered do i find those pics.?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts