Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
today was definitely a different day for me. Now, i grasp the true concept of zetec power. I don't have turbo or a jrsc but what i can tell you is i drive an ATX, and damn does it pull. You're probably wondering whats so special and whats so different ('cause most of ya got MTX75s!), but you know what? Since i've got an atx, i put the gear in the "1" position, and hit that baby hard. Damn does it pull...HARD. The best feeling ever. Now i have a completely stock engine, with a 65mm tb, msd plugs thats it, and with my stock airbox. Amazing. I'm loving it every moment.

One question though: if i keep flooring it in "1" gear and upshift to "2" then back into "D", could this ruin my transmission? What if i get my crower stage 2's installed, will the launch be even quicker? I also have an afx udp and essy cam gears waiting to be installed.

-Chris

[ 11-02-2002, 02:39 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
354 Posts
that wont hurt anything. It will slow you down though. I seems to take forever for my tranny to shift like that.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Mine shifts okay like that with a little foot modulation. Also, for passing, I love the O/D lockout button.

·
Registered
542 Posts
It is my hope that you will install more performance parts before going with cams. There is no sense putting in a pair of cams like those if the engine can't pull in more air and exhale more exhaust. IMHO.

·
Registered
375 Posts
yeah, the ATX does do a pretty good job at pulling. It'd probably shift faster with a chip, but then again, you probably wouldn't even need to actually shift it. What I'd like is to have a chip that would do what most of the other chips do, but also has an accessory that would mount on the steering column and would allow the car to manually shift with paddle switches or something like that.... It would be way too much fun...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Ohhh, paleaseeeee. Bro, I have the mods listed below and my 1/4 came in at a staggering 18.4

yea it pulls alright, against a turtle.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
You wanna know what happens to my car when i floor it in any gear(especially when hot)
well it goes something like this....boggggggg,putt.putt.boggggggggg and that's with cams...so the cams are not the greatest for automatics. Mine are gude and below 3500, they are a dog!!!

They are not dyno tuned yet, so hopefully that will help a little.I'm praying they will!!!
So you should seriously think about getting an exhaust-intake b4 the cam's. Both are relativly cheap parts, and will go a long way to helping the cam's perform to there best!

But do what you want bro...mod it how you want too

john-

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
you need to free up the exhaust. Do that before cams. Raceheader & catback or shorty,high-flo cat, and catback.

I regret doing the header last.

Yes I have an auto.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The best thing for an automatic Focus with not that many engine mods is a straight though exhaust, good tires, cool weather and alot of breaking in miles. I can tell a big difference in the way my car pulls now from when I first got it. It had 4 miles on it when I picked it up at the dealership. I have 56 thousand and something now. The engine responds alot better than when I first got it.

[ 11-02-2002, 11:27 PM: Message edited by: Geometry ]

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Originally posted by chris_k:
What if i get my crower stage 2's installed, will the launch be even quicker?
-Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No. Good Launch needs torque. the stage2's will not give you enough torque unless you have a higher stall torque convertor.

You'll go faster in the long run, however you will lose low end torque. I should know.

Either way

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all for you're helpful and wonderful replies and intuition!! Well to begin, right now im runnin a Apc cone air filter, and a mbrp exhaust. Today, i finally installed the cone filter (i just installed it to the stock intake plastic tube) and boy does it pullll even harder!!! It just wants to go go go!! However the downside is, i filled my gas to full last nite, now today, it's almost empty. I have a stock header and i dont really see why i should buy a new one yet. Hey but you know what? Im thinking of a Pacesetter shorty header, it's $124 from Newedge...im thinkin about it and it's a steal compared to Jba and Focussport's!

As for my performance mods, i have:

-Fc 65mm tb
-short air intake (stock with cone air filter)
-Mbrp catback
-msd plugs

Im planning on getting these installed (howard s. on da 5 will do it):

-Esslinger cam gears
-Crower stage 2 cams
-afx udp

Now how much power or difference will i feel after i install these mods on my ATX? Could i lose torgue and stock accerlation after my Crowers are installed? Will there be bogging and choking of the engine - this must be a fuel problem then!

[ 11-03-2002, 03:13 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by all2envyZx3:
You wanna know what happens to my car when i floor it in any gear(especially when hot)
well it goes something like this....boggggggg,putt.putt.boggggggggg and that's with cams...so the cams are not the greatest for automatics. Mine are gude and below 3500, they are a dog!!!

They are not dyno tuned yet, so hopefully that will help a little.I'm praying they will!!!
So you should seriously think about getting an exhaust-intake b4 the cam's. Both are relativly cheap parts, and will go a long way to helping the cam's perform to there best!

But do what you want bro...mod it how you want too

john-
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">John, you have a Gude head package and you get bogging down? How about a piggyback fuel control system (greddy e-manage), or a customed burned chip, more fuel injectors?

[ 11-03-2002, 03:30 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by [\]iteshift:
Ohhh, paleaseeeee. Bro, I have the mods listed below and my 1/4 came in at a staggering 18.4

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">niteshift, exactly what chip configuration is it...i mean is it custom burned? do you have manny or Atx? Why not turbocharge? You should be able to claim some seconds that way...have you thought about getting racing cams for the strip?

[ 11-03-2002, 03:27 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Shiva Chaos:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by chris_k:
What if i get my crower stage 2's installed, will the launch be even quicker?
-Chris
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">No. Good Launch needs torque. the stage2's will not give you enough torque unless you have a higher stall torque convertor.

You'll go faster in the long run, however you will lose low end torque. I should know.

Either way
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Shiva, Im not sure about torgue converters but i've seen plenty of cars like Automatic supras, pull pretty good launches, and numbers...if i get a chip, will it adjust my shift points (I have the CJWO ecu) - it could tremedously help my atx shifting, without the need for a torgue convertor..And if i do get the crower's installed, will i see a bigger difference from stock, like mid-range power? how about passing on the freeway? will it be MUCH better than stock...like 50mph - 90mph, just like that?

[ 11-03-2002, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: chris_k ]

·
Registered
631 Posts
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Originally posted by [\]iteshift:

<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">niteshift, exactly what chip configuration is it...i mean is it custom burned? do you have manny or Atx? Why not turbocharge? You should be able to claim some seconds that way...have you thought about getting racing cams for the strip?</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">The problem chris is that with the atx, I can't drive the way I want. Even if I did get a good turbo setup I would still be mid-low 15's. That is unacceptable. Not to mention that I can already feel my tranny is being a little wierd.

I first had a diablo sport chip....and all I can say is

It really made a difference, but could not take the speed govenor off. They just couldn't figure out the program. But I really liked the diablo.

I now have a super chip....and while not as aggresive, it still helped out alot, and ultimately the difference is negligable.

So you can't go wrong with either of those. Talk to cajun(here on the jet) or focussport as I have had nothing but accolades for both. They really know how to take care of their customers.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have the crower stage 2's on my auto....the low end power kinda stinks right now, due to no dyno tuning (gettin that done this week)...but the mid-high range power is very good. Passing on the freeway is deff. more fun. And it's still pretty dern quick off the start, ya just gotta hit it right

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
all these slow times on modded autos perplex me.....I ran a 16.6 with many less mods than I have now and a slipping tranny, and I desperatly await having another go at it, where are you guys launching at??? I launch around 2000 cuz much over I get wheelspin....also, reduce the weight of your car and it'll get off the line much quicker...

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Shiva, Im not sure about torgue converters but i've seen plenty of cars like Automatic supras, pull pretty good launches, and numbers...if i get a chip, will it adjust my shift points (I have the CJWO ecu) - it could tremedously help my atx shifting, without the need for a torgue convertor..And if i do get the crower's installed, will i see a bigger difference from stock, like mid-range power? how about passing on the freeway? will it be MUCH better than stock...like 50mph - 90mph, just like that?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">re:torque convertors:
You need one with a higher stall speed to take advantage of launching at a higher RPM that is closer to the new powerband.

Well with the Crower Stage 2's your power below 4000 will be a like stock, maybe a bit lower without dyno tuning.

When I did the cam install, I noticed a distinct lack in low end power versus my stock cams, however as soon as it hit 3500-4000 rpm, it would kick in and I'd have a lot of power until I hit the limiters.

Since your power band is raised, you definitely need to have a chip in to take advantage of the higher powerband,

However unless you do header/exhaust work to work with your cams, you will NOT see much benefit other than really fast highway driving. Without my raceheader, I was fast (well, yeah a fast auto) however once I got my raceheader it reclaimed some of the lost mid-range torque, I'm pretty fast now: 16.1 in the quarter with no weight reduction.

Regarding chip: It is different in every car. One auto may drive one way while one with a different code will drive another. I'll explain later.

You must also remember that the drivetrain power loss is more in an auto. Coupled with tall gears, it makes out autos slow. To make the same whp power as a Manual, we have to pile on more mods. i.e. 170 hp at crank. A Manual with my mods will be around 144-147 whp. My car, I estimate that mine will be around 127-130 whp.

Driving my car:
Fun. Basically. However this is what it feels like:

WOT from 0mph: slow. until I hit 4000, then it picks up a lot until it shifts at 6500 (note that the chip does NOT seem like it's working). When it shifts to 2nd gear, it goes to and RPM below the powerband so you will feel like you're going reaaally slow.

WOT from 2nd Gear low speed i.e. 20-30mph in 2nd gear and then tranny shifts into 1st: Scary. Obviously when it shifts it will instantly be in the prime powerband of the car with my mods. However it will not shift into second. It will continue into ram into the rev limiter for a couple seconds. To circumvent this is much like driving a manual sans clutch -> Lift off throttle and manually shift into 2nd.

Regular Driving: Besides scaring the bejeezus out of other drivers from the sheer volume of my exhaust, it's fast. 50-100 is there in very little time. Almost effortless. However due to the presence of a speed limiter, I do have to be careful as fuel-pump cut-off=bad.

1/4 Dragging: O/D off. STOMP on brake pedal and hold the gas to the floor. let of brake at light. Do not shift manually. When you feel the tranny shift, let off the gas slightly and once it shifts hammer it back down.

PGZX3-
How are you getting to launch higher than 2000? When I powerbrake I can't get it 2500 and I still get no wheelspin (course I have no low end torque....)

[ 11-04-2002, 07:59 AM: Message edited by: Shiva Chaos ]

·
Registered
436 Posts
I brake torqued to about 1200 yesterday and got wheelspin, my only mod is the Volant.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
well, it was probably part of my tranny dying, who knows, I havnt brake torqued my new one...it went to about 22-2400, I have no clue why others can't....and like I said, I've been babying my new one thus far...
also if I let off during about 1/2-3/4 driving when it goes to shift then floor it when it hits the next gear I get some wheelspin, this only occurs in the 1-2 gear change, but still, no one else that I've talked to has this happen...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts