Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, i came up with this idea last night while cruising through some of the roads in my neighborhood. Would it be possible to add little buttons on the steering wheen that would control which gear the car is in? For example, I could have the car in drive, but then flip a switch that would make the car drive as a manual. I would have one switch for upshift and one for downshift. I know that for me it'd make my car incredibly fun to drive, but I don't know about the feasibility of this kind of idea. I'm not sure what actually controls the shifting (ECU or ATX)...

·
Registered
2,945 Posts
It would be possible, however there is an actual valve attached to the end of the cable for the shifter. You could take the shifter apart and disable the button mechanism. Then you can install solenoids to the shifter that you can actuate with the buttons you are talking about.

It's possible, but would be kind of complicated.

On a side note, alot of V8 bracket racers that use the 2 speed powerglide use a system kind of like this. It is a solenoid attached to the shifter and when the driver wants to shift he hits a button on the wheel. This makes the shifter shift faster than the driver can make it because of less movement.

·
Registered
254 Posts
kinda sounds like the sportronic shifting idea.
but like what he said, it sounds complicated, and i bet it costs money too. if you do it though, keep us updated

1 - 4 of 4 Posts