Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what exactly is the weak link? there may come a time when i want to beef up my transmission, but not turn it into a drag monster. i dont want to spill my drinks on shifts, you know? so what im asking is which part needs to be beefed up to handle the power, but NOT turn it into a drag transmission.

or for anyone with a level 10 (or comparable upgrade), how has it affected your daily drivability? i have never seen a write-up on that.

thanks

·
Registered
744 Posts
I don't know of anyone who has the level 10 deal, TooleBox is working on some sort of deal with a petential sponsor. I'm going to wait to see how it turns out with him and what his sponsor has to offer, then I'll make my decision on which route to take

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
okay, a torque converter, IN MY OPINION would eb the first big step.....for drag or anything, but thats my opinion, something that doesnt transfer quite as much heat....

then upgraded internals, not necessarily an upgraded valve body (makes it shift faster) but internals to hold up to more power, or just better, whichever suits your needs....

then if you want firmer shifts, even just slightly, get a modified valve body...that will speed up the shifts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Has anyone just tried plopping in another torque converter and left it at that?

I wonder if the rest of the tranny would hold up without building it up. Cus sure you might get past the 135lbs barrier..

But if the gears start to F-up .. then, there was no point right.

We need more solutions..

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
right, my first transmission went because the clutches went out....

the second transmission is on its way thanks to first gear downshifts going into corners....aka, slippage.....

I really don't think a torque converter will solve ANY problems....but it sure would help on my bracket launches, no more overheating against slower cars

·
Registered
645 Posts
Originally posted by FocusOnPunk:
what exactly is the weak link?

or for anyone with a level 10 (or comparable upgrade), how has it affected your daily drivability? i have never seen a write-up on that.

thanks
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I've had the Level 10 upgrade for awhile now so I'll give you all my perspective. I have upgraded internals (frictions, steels and roller bearings), valvebody (w/accumulator srings), high flow Super Pump, 2800 stall Torque converter.

Heat is what causes the most damage to ATX's.
Torque converters create lot of heat, especially if you hold the brake down to launch!
The fluid gets burned out easier than you might think. That's usually what causes the clutches to start slipping, then they burn out too.
**First thing put a good cooler on and a temp gage.**
I have yet to find a drawback in the daily performance of my L-10 ATX. The 2800 RPM stall T/C still lets you drive away at 900 RPM. But if I stand on the brake and punch it the RPM's flash right up to 2800 then start pulling through the brake anyway.
The shifts aren't as quick as thought they would be, not jerky at all. I would prefer some adjustability on shift firmness.
I'm still at 5psi boost and running the 5th injector setup from aerodyne. No Dyno since my rebuild. (Lots of snow right now anyway!)

When someone learns how to tune an ATX + turbo equipped Focus, and I save up some more $$$, we'll what it can handle!

Your ? = Weakest link?
Most of us just start slipping so I would say Fluid temp management is the weakest link. Put a cooler and temp gage on. And change the fluid quickly if it gets burned!

·
Registered
245 Posts
Okay i always ask this question but never get a straight answer, Valve bodies are good for the ATX, so who offers just the individual products by themselves?
I have asked Level 10 if they offer any parts for the Focus and all they tell me is, Yes we have a full tranny build for 3500 bucks, but not individual parts. Where can i get a Hydrosystem(valve body) or something like this that'll help my tranny out
, what is part number
, and how can i order it
? Please help me i really want something quickly, PLEASE!!!!!
email me - [email protected]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts