Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this sport compact thing and I have an ATX zx5.
I need some help with what upgrades are out there for the tranny and who makes them. I.E...Shift kit..Torque converter Etc.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
http://www.levelten.com/

seems to be the perferred place at the moment. Also seems like the only choice at the moment.. Wolff Racing was *suppost to be* releasing something buuuuuut .. they have disapeared. hah.

Expect to dish out quite a bit of $$ though.. Upgrading isnt cheap.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
The 2.3's ATX uses upgraded Clutch Packs, So it can handle the higher torque Anyone Look to run more power on an ATX sould look into buying the upgrade units.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Originally posted by biker16:
The 2.3's ATX uses upgraded Clutch Packs, So it can handle the higher torque Anyone Look to run more power on an ATX sould look into buying the upgrade units.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Is there any more info on this?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Stupid question, but what kit is the kit for the Focus on the Level 10 site?

[ 01-04-2003, 08:55 PM: Message edited by: WhiteFocusZX3 ]

·
Registered
904 Posts
Originally posted by WhiteFocusZX3:
Stupid question, but what kit is the kit for the Focus on the Level 10 site?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I would not even bother, if I was in your shoes I would just do the 5 speed swap instead of messing with levelten.

---Herb---

·
Registered
255 Posts
for some, that would be an easy way out if u do a swap. but then again, u would have to procure the necessary parts to do it. save the time, get the level ten parts. in the long run, those who go with the level ten parts are bound to outperform those with the tranny swap.

just got to step outside yourself for a second and weigh the options...

tranny swap = procurring parts, costly install for the mechanically impaired, possible problems.

ATX upgrade = kits available, install is in a reasonable paying field, possible problems but not many.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Originally posted by biker16:
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I'm sure this is not the only thing the 2.3's ATX has that is different. Just upgrading the clutch packs would just be masking a problem instead of dealing with it. I bet it has quicker shift points to cause less slippage.

And finding parts is not hard, for the price of the Levelten upgrade you could almost buy a new tranny and ecu from Ford.

---Herb---

·
Registered
265 Posts
Well the thing is, my auto tranny is broken, and if I could just get the rebuild kit and have someone rebuild it with better parts for better performance so it doesn't go out again, I should probaly do that then right, cause I dont have enough for a 5 speed swap right and one of these kits would about the same as buying a brand new tranny, but it would be better to have mine upgraded, right? What kit is for the Focus tranny? Thanks.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I have a level10 tranny & torque converter (2800 rpm stall speed). It wasn't cheap, almost $4k but
if you plan on any serious engine work it's worth it. A stock ATX will quit under any heavier load than 135 lbs torque. I put down @180 hp at the wheels and as soon as the chip is ready for the ATX I will have it tuned to maximize the upgrades.
It already was worth it just for the peace of mind
and you can never blow a shift running the 1/4. A
properly done ATX will perform almost as well as a
manual with a good driver.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts