Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
WHERES MY KEYS?!?
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
total newb when it comes to auto cross but its something i want to get into in the next year or so...

1st question is street legal cars vs. non street legal. if i show up with a car that wont smog but looks like a street car (ie boosted zts) and it isn't on a trailer am i in trouble?

2nd question looking at this grid http://www.odr-scca.org/DIY-classing.htm
it appears if i run boost i'll be in the SM class. are there any required modifications i should be aware of by being in that class? IE: i need 5 points, roll bar.

again sorry for the newb questions but my cars gremlins are about all worked out so i dont want to start throwing money on motor upgrades without knowing what i'm getting into.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
1. No you will be just fine.
2. Should be just fine with stock safety equipment. Those are just rules to let you know what modifications are permitted in your class.
3. Sm is street mod. Smf is street mod fwd. And dont know about the ssm. But for the most part they allow being gutted out and running a more race car set up that is still some what street drivable.

When I go auto crossing I usaly stick with smf so I don't have to compet with the miata. But sometimes tech might catch me and bump me up to street prepared for the solid mounts.

Just bring a helmet and be low on fuel and get ready for a fun afternoon

·
Grand Master Mabel listens to Death Metal and flip
7,145 Posts
Everything just posted is correct. If you're car is not street legal, the SCCA takes no responsibility for it; its your ticket.

SSM = Super Street Mod which you wouldn't qualify for and trust me, you wouldn't want to anyway. That is for gutted Evos, Bimmers and the like. Street Mod is like the throw away class. When a car is so modified it doesn't fit anywhere else, it goes into Street Mod. Because its impossible to make a Civic competitive with a gutted, massively modified Evo, SMF was created to level the playing field.

Stick to SMF (Street Mod FWD). Then maybe all you would be competing against are Civics and Minis.

Don't worry so much about throwing modifications to be faster. Being fast doesn't help you all that much, but having a good line does. An N/A Miata driven well can kick the crap out of a poorly driven Corvette. Just go drive. Even if you are slow as F, it still feels like you're hauling ass and is plenty the rush you hoped it would be. Being a FWD, if you do want to add to the driving experience, the best I can recommend to you is front springs for the nose dive under hard braking, some decent tires (does not have to be R comps) and some negative camber. Not having camber and having camber and new set of street tires made all the difference for me when I would auto-x my SVT.

Bottom line, go out there and just have a good time. Make friends, ask questions. Any of the veteran auto-xers are down to go for ride alongs to help you read the course and there should be a novice course walk which also helps you understand the course, read the apex and braking zones.

Have fun and post pictures. :D

·
WHERES MY KEYS?!?
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks..

i want boost just because; not for auto-x. I have a CF hood already so based on that chart i'm SM with or without boost.

As for the lid... i kept one of my motorcycle helmets before i sold my bike.. its a full face with the flip visor. If its DOT approved is that good enough?

After finding Fresno has a SCCA chapter i emailed them the same questions, i dont want to be the new guy that shows up one day and every one looks at like gawd what did this kid bring here. (especially since i'm in my 30's now i'm supposed to be wiser)

·
Registered
872 Posts
3. Sm is street mod. Smf is street mod fwd. And dont know about the ssm. But for the most part they allow being gutted out and running a more race car set up that is still some what street drivable.
not entirely gutted, still need front interior carpets and door panels.
to the OP, i suggest getting cozy with the

As for the lid... i kept one of my motorcycle helmets before i sold my bike.. its a full face with the flip visor. If its DOT approved is that good enough?
DOT is not good enough, you need to check the sticker under the lining. Also, they expire after 10 years. it need a SNELL rating of M2005 or higher or a SA2005 or higher.

·
Grand Master Mabel listens to Death Metal and flip
7,145 Posts
thanks..

i want boost just because; not for auto-x. I have a CF hood already so based on that chart i'm SM with or without boost.

After finding Fresno has a SCCA chapter i emailed them the same questions, i dont want to be the new guy that shows up one day and every one looks at like gawd what did this kid bring here. (especially since i'm in my 30's now i'm supposed to be wiser)
Trust me, they would rather have someone out there, even if they have no idea what they are doing, than not at all. The only time it might be a problem is if you are wreckless and/or unsafe. Other than that, don't think you will be the only first timer out there. The SCCA needs more participation. If you get a membership, then bring buddies and they sign up, you will get a discount off your renewal for each member.

Man, I SO miss auto-x. Its seriously like the funnest, cheap, automotive thrill one can get without the risk of leaving your car at the track. You will be hooked after your first run, I promise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Agreed, you will be hooked after the first event. I ran my mazdaspeed 3 last summer and running the focus SVT this summer.

·
WHERES MY KEYS?!?
2,743 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm looking forward to getting into it probably next year.

I grew up at drag strips and racing dirt bikes and go karts. I used to get my rocks off taking Sunday drives in the local canyons on my motorcycle.. But I sold that a long time ago to pay taxes and dental bills.

So sounds like I can run sm(f) due to my cf hood and when I get boost.

I'm probably going to need a new helmet this ones at least 7 years old.

Thanks for the info gang.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts