Ford Focus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering moving so I called my insurance company to see what the insurance on the EVO would be in the new state.

I currently have USAA which is rated as one of the highest/best insurance companies out there and you can only get it if you're military or off spring of military. So I know everyone won't know who they are. Well the quote from USAA came back at $1598 a year which is about $124 cheaper than what I'm currently paying.

I've tried in the past to get quotes from different insurance companies just to compare, even though I've been relatively happy with USAA, but no one until today has been able to beat them on price. I'd be willing to pay a little more to stay with USAA, just because I've never had any major problems with them in the 12 years I've used them.

I called Progressive and they quoted me $1050 a year for the same exact coverage levels at the same deductibles. A $550 dollar a year savings is a lot, so I'm really considering it. What has been everyone's experience with Progressive? The only difference I saw between the two is I would have to pay additional for aftermarket products coverage, but I'm not planning on modifying the EVO drastically so I'm not really worried about that.

Have any of you left USAA for a different company? If so what are your opinions?

I'm still waiting on Geico to give me a quote.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I called Progressive and they quoted me $1050 a year for the same exact coverage levels at the same deductibles. A $550 dollar a year savings is a lot, so I'm really considering it. What has been everyone's experience with Progressive?
Absolutely awesome. I love Progressive.

You can pay your bill online, they have 24 hour service reps, they're super lenient (in my younger and dumber years I crashed up my Supra and got a DWI, Progressive payed up. A lot of places wouldn't have, they don't have to.)

They drive to your house and cut you a check from the truck. It doesn't get any better than Progressive in my book.

·
Registered
993 Posts
USAA all the way

It's not just that you haven't had any problems with them...its that if you EVER have any sort of problem, they bend over backwards to correct it even if its at their loss. I come from a long family history of USAA members and we've all been very, very happy. I have my credit card, my car loan, and my car insurance through them.

·
Registered
5,446 Posts
1000 a year on an EVO?!?! are you sure you're not a 40 year old married female with no record?

Bunch of friends have progressive, a couple of USAA. No complaints from either.

·
I can't stop typing...I can't stop typing...I can'
6,037 Posts
Dude all I know is I would take either one of those quotes on my focus. Your rate for a year is about the same I pay every 2-3 months (depending on which of your quotes)

I have no experience with either company, all I know is Progressive gave me a quote of $12,000 a year for full coverage on my focus, so I guess I wont be having any experience with them for a wile.

The only insurance company I absolutely curse is Allstate, even if they were a $1000 less than anyone else I refuse to deal with them. My last focus had at least $10,000 in damage to it and a bent frame, and it had a blue book value of around $12,000. Allstate REFUSES to total out the car, they said no matter what, unless the cost to repair the car was higher than its value, they would not total out the car. Oh and they weren't even using OEM parts, they were going to use after-market parts whenever possible (and this was on a car that was 1 year old and had 12,000 miles on it) In the end I wound up selling the old focus to a salvage place for $800, and just taking the check for $9,300 and paying of the lone on my old focus, and then went out and bought a new one.
Oh and after the crash they also said I was no longer wanted as a customer by them.

·
Not Special Enough
10,540 Posts
screw allstate. they are terrible. I had USAA and they were good but charged more than other people. I got state farm and have been nothing but happy with them. for kicks I got a quote from Geico. screw them too. wanted to charge me almost 600 more a year then State farm. Progressive is good. I know lots of people who are happy with them.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I have Allstate. With my good student dscount I pay about 1100 a year. I'm 22 years old, I havn't found better anywhere. My level of insurance is top of the line a person can get, so no, I'm not getting some stripped down insurance.

I've used them for quite a while when had my 2 5.0's. (One being an actual mustang, the other being an LTD
) I payed quite high about 3k a year on both cars. Allstate does reward me pretty well for a good drivng record. Every year I've seen a decrease.

·
Registered
176 Posts
GEICO is a terrible company to do business with. Just out of the blue one day they said "we don't want to cover you anymore, so go find new insurance." And I did. Progressive ever since.

·
Devil's Advocate. Just to cheese you off.
6,880 Posts
GEICO is a terrible company to do business with. Just out of the blue one day they said "we don't want to cover you anymore, so go find new insurance." And I did. Progressive ever sine.
Not only that, but they are one of the main reasons we have laser speed guns in cop cars. They helped fund development of them, so that cops would catch more speeders. More customers caught speeding = higher premiums = excellent return on investment for geico. I think it was pretty unscrupulous for an insurance company to go out of their way to find some other way of raising it's customer's insurance.

Stay away from geico.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I currently use Progressive because of the ease of handling my policy online. They were competitive with other quotes I got as well. Used to be a customer of State Farm, but got dropped by them after a $750 dollar claim. Used Allstate but they refused to give me a discount they promised for being a repeat customer so I dropped them.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Progressive didn't cut me a check from the truck .. it took two weeks, granted some of that was my own scheduling conflicts, but not all of it. They needed to see the car before I got any work done on it, then it took a few days for him to get "approval" for work to begin, and when the work was finished the shop couldn't release it until the progressive rep came down and signed off on it.

I made a mistake when I told him where I was going when I got into the accident, and later told him and corrected myself, in case for some reason it really mattered.. and after that it seemed like he thought I was lying to him and trying to scam him .. "Why'd you change your story?"

but in the end all was paid for and all is well

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for everyone's reply.

The thing that worries me about Progressive is the cutting of the check from the truck at the accident. How do they really know what it is going to cost before ripping into the car that an actual bodyshop/mechanic will do to give you a real quote. What if the charges you find are a lot more than the check they cut you. I'm guessing this is where they save there money. USAA has always recommended the repair shop, not that you have to use them, but if you do, they warrant the work for the life that you own the car, I never saw the money, but I never had to put out any money including my deductible, USAA carried the full bill, because the accident wasn't my fault and they fought for my deductible too.

I'm guessing you can fight with progressive, but the quick check thing seems like they are taking the easy way out with unknowing consumers.

Do I have it wrong?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Though we cant get Geico in MA, we get their commercials. Regardless of what anyone thinks of Geico, they have GREAT commercials!!!

Nothing beats the two squirrels on the road high fiving each other, after they run the car off the road....
Good Stuff

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
I'm guessing you can fight with progressive, but the quick check thing seems like they are taking the easy way out with unknowing consumers.

Do I have it wrong?
Yeah, that's not quite how it works. I got an appraisal from my shop first, then the guy came to my house the next day in his truck, took some pictures, looked at my estimate, and cut me a check for more than what my shop said it would cost, just in case.

I've made 3 claims from them and each time there was more money than needed to make the repairs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The only insurance company I absolutely curse is Allstate, even if they were a $1000 less than anyone else I refuse to deal with them.
Yes I hate Allstate also. I was driving my employers vehicle when it was hit in the rear quarter by a guy coming out of a restaurant driveway. Mind you, this was rush hour and I was STOPPED at a RED light when this happened. The nutwad had Allstate, and they tried to make it to be my fault. Turns out our company was switching insurance carriers at the time, and this accident fell through the cracks and my vehicle has a dent to this day on the rear quarter. And our carrier paid for the dumb Allstate guys car !! The way the Allstate lady treated me on the phone, insinuating that I was lying, grrrr. Very arrogant.

·
Banned
187 Posts
GEICO is a terrible company to do business with. Just out of the blue one day they said "we don't want to cover you anymore, so go find new insurance." And I did. Progressive ever sine.
Not only that, but they are one of the main reasons we have laser speed guns in cop cars. They helped fund development of them, so that cops would catch more speeders. More customers caught speeding = higher premiums = excellent return on investment for geico. I think it was pretty unscrupulous for an insurance company to go out of their way to find some other way of raising it's customer's insurance.

Stay away from geico.
GEICO also buys cop cars for departments with the same reasoning. More cars on the road, more tickets, etc.

I had State Farm for eleven years myself, and my family has been with the same agent for near 30 years. Needless to say for our family loyalty to the company, they had no problem with cancelling my policy and not telling me for a month. I am now high-risk for 12 months because I went 30 days without coverage. I called around to Progressive, Allstate, GEICO, Metlife, American Family, and a few independants. I was not impressed by the quotes from Proressive, Allstate, GEICO, or the independants. Metlife tried to break it off in my rear without any lube. American Family was cool as hell. They have a program where you get 20% off your auto policy just for carrying a property owners policy. Once I get rid of my high-risk label, and drop a ticket next June, I will drop to pocketchange on insurance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
After 4 years with Geico, I transferred to Progressive. Rates were about the same but Progressive offers gap insurance with their policies. The value of my 2001 Focus has declined so much that I needed some sort of coverage. Payout is limited to 25% of the total value of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts